New Law????????????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LIKTOSHOOT, Feb 5, 2004.

1. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

RICHMOND — The House today is expected to pass a bill that would prohibit Virginia's state-sponsored colleges and universities from enrolling illegal aliens.
    The bill, authored by John S. Reid, Henrico Republican, moved forward yesterday during its second reading by a voice vote along party lines. The bill is expected to pass because of the Republican majority.
    There are 61 Republicans, 37 Democrats and 2 independents in the House. The bill will be sent to the Senate Education and Health Committee after Feb. 17, the day known as Crossover, when the House and Senate exchange bills. The bills that pass are sent to the governor.
    Democrats opposed the bill, deeming it unfair.
    "If this bill passes it will provide that public institutions of higher education may not knowingly accept or enroll any illegal alien and it directs each upon discovering the enrollment of an illegal alien to dismiss that person," Mr. Reid said during the debate yesterday.
    "Individuals who are in this country legally should have the opportunity to attend our state colleges and universities and should not be displaced by those who are here illegally," he said.
    The bill also would require public colleges and universities to expel any illegal aliens who are enrolled mistakenly.
    State Attorney General Jerry W. Kilgore, a Republican, supports the bill, but Gov. Mark Warner, a Democrat, opposes it.
    Delegate Marian Van Landingham, Alexandria Democrat, also opposed the bill yesterday.
    "A child who was brought here by their parents without having anything to do with it, went through our school system, does a really good job, gets good grades and good SAT scores should be able to get in a good college and university in Virginia," she said. "Now that child would not be able to go to our schools in Virginia."
    Miss Van Landingham also said the bill would handicap the state's economy and society.
    During the debate, Delegate Brian J. Moran, Alexandria Democrat, asked Mr. Reid how the bill, if passed, would be enforced and about the penalties involved.
    Mr. Reid said he couldn't answer the questions but that he had hoped no one would violate the law intentionally.
    At a House Education Committee meeting on Monday, Delegate Adam P. Ebbin, Arlington Democrat, had argued that the state is better served if it has educated immigrants working in good jobs.
    Virginia has an estimated 570,000 immigrants, including many who were brought here by their parents and consider themselves Americans, Mr. Ebbin said.
    The committee passed the bill in a 14-7 vote.
    Also on Monday, the committee tabled a bill by Mr. Ebbin that would have allowed illegal aliens to pay in-state tuition if they meet certain criteria, including signing a pledge to seek legal residency. Virginia law requires schools to charge illegal aliens out-of-state tuition.
    Mr. Ebbin's bill comes a year after his predecessor, Democrat L. Karen Darner, filed similar legislation, which was defeated. Miss Darner retired in the fall.
    Last year, lawmakers in both chambers overwhelmingly passed a measure that would have required illegal immigrants to pay out-of-state tuition at state universities. Mr. Warner vetoed the measure, saying students who graduated from Virginia schools deserve a chance at the "American dream" with fair college tuition.
    Mr. Kilgore said Mr. Warner's veto was irrelevant because state law requires schools to charge illegals higher tuition.
    In fall 2002, Mr. Kilgore had issued an opinion recommending that all Virginia colleges deny admission to illegal immigrants.
    During the committee meeting Monday, representatives of George Mason University, the Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce, and a coalition of Hispanic organizations spoke against Mr. Reid's bill and in support of Mr. Ebbin's legislation.
    Claire Gastanaga, who represented the Hispanic coalition, said admissions decisions should be left to the governing boards of the colleges. She said the legislature never intervened when Virginia Military Institute was denying admissions to women — a policy struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1996.
    Miss Gastanaga also noted that a lawsuit challenging seven Virginia universities' refusal to enroll illegal immigrants was filed last year in federal court in Alexandria, and that the legislature historically does not pass legislation affecting pending litigation.
    In that lawsuit, five of the students revealed themselves only as John or Jane Does. Last month, a federal judge threw out their portion of the case because of the anonymity. At least one person has said they will reveal their name, however, and the case is pending.
    •This article is based in part on wire service reports.

LTS
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

If the feds won't do anything substantial about turning our wonderful republic over to the illegals, then the states should be all means take appropriate steps.

All those who value our freedoms and our great republic should stand behind any and all attempts to help preserve it in any way.
  3. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

If they want to live the "American Dream", they best be AMERICANS & SPEAK ENGLISH!

That's all I have to say about that! :mad:
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Why limit it only to colleges and universities? Kick the illegals out of our public elementary schools and high schools too while you're at it.

It makes me sick knowing that my hard-earned property tax dollars, which I struggle to pay every year, are going to educate illegals.
  5. Marlin

With the NEA and Horace Mann influence today, topped off with political correctness, Snipe, I doubt that they are even getting an education for our tax dollars.

If I were doing it over again, all mine would be Home Schooled to be sure they get a decent education.
  6. warpig

warpig Guest

7. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

8. DemonDesert

DemonDesert New Member

Amen to that, Sniper!
  9. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

States Rights, anyone?:cool:
  10. warpig

warpig Guest

I am going to refrain from replying in this forum. Move this to FFE and it would be better represented.
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Your wish is my command, Piggy. ;)
  12. SouthernMoss

And my daughter doesn't get to live in a million dollar mansion, through no fault of her own, because I'm not rich. :rolleyes:

If the child wants to attend college badly enough, he/she can apply for citizenship and embrace the responsibilities that go along with it.
  13. Marlin

Any immigrant can have all the benefits by just doing it right!

That includes learning the ENGLISH LANGUAGE and the basics of our Republic/CONSTITUTION.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  14. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

CLOSE THE BORDERS & STOP SUPPORTING ILLEGAL ALIENS! :mad:
  15. SouthernMoss

Uh... no, the state is better served if illegal immigrants are not allowed to take jobs away from the legitimate citizens of this country.
  16. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Wha'chu talkin' 'bout Willis...Law'd a'mercy that's a long read...:eek:
  17. warpig

warpig Guest

nothing more than an attempt to incite hatred and general discontent
  18. berto64

berto64 Active Member

It sounds good to me. Having lived in the SWUS almost all of my life, I have seen the damage done to the curiculums by states that lower their standards so that the illegals who cannot read or speak english very well can feel good.

I believe it has been known by another phrase: The Dumbing of America.

In AZ the system is so worried about the illegals' kids that the needs of the english speaking students are ignored. If there is a progessive english speaking student in the class, that student is held down so as not to show up the illegals and hurt their widdle feelings.

This is not BS. I saw it in action when my older kids were in school in Phx.

berto
  19. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Or perhaps a wake-up call to illegals that we Americans refuse to be taken advantage of any more.
  20. Evilahole

Evilahole New Member

Then send them all down here to Georgia...no one gets an education down here unless you homeschool.

:D