New Lee Classic press is a winner

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gunguy, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

The new Lee Classic press is now available from Midway for $59.99 and it is a really well engineered press.

Has 1.125 diameter ram with 12 inches of bearing surface in frame this means better stroke leverage.

The ram pin is 1/2 inch in diameter...strong enough for bullet swaging.

The linkage system is very impressive with a .56 inch diameter panel round bar in middle of linkage plates...makes for sturdy leverage.

To me these points pass muster in being one heck of a good press for a mere $60. Most O presses on the market are over a $100 and do not compare to this new Classic.

Has removable die insert 7/8 X 14 adapter, then the bare frame is threaded for 1 1/4 X 12 threads which means you can put Hornady lock-n-load die inserts into said frame and its merely a !/4 twist for in and out application.

Has spent primer tube coming out of the bottom of the ram piston and can be directed to trash basket or can.

The Large and small primer assemblys are about $15 each and mount on top of the press.

I am going to buy it...even though I have nine reloading presses of various makes.

Your tacky wacky reloading press reporter signing off.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

More pictures of the linkage that is super strong, Lee has done its home work and built a worthy swaging type reloading press.

Midway USA sent me an emailblast today, the the Classic is being offered to me for $55.99, I called and placed my order.

Wow, four bucks off regular price...whoooeee...they knew I was teetering on the edge of buying from them.

Jim :D

Attached Files:

3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Jim, I'm suprised Momma hasn't thrown your old bones in the lake yet with a press tied on each limb and one in yer teeth!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  4. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Naw, she plans on selling all my reloading gear so she wouldn't want to waste the bucks.

She has a washtub full of readycrete...just add fat man and water...let dry and push overboard.

Jim
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

ROFLMAO

Attached Files:

6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Hey GunGuy....does your wife have a sister named Linda.....? if she does, I married her......:D
  7. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Tony, Tony, say it isn't so...you didn't marry a 70 year old woman.

Aren't you a youngen in his twenties?

Lucky for you none of her sisters are named Linda, not even any of their offspring.

Gunguy
  8. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Hi gents, got my new Lee Classic press today and it is a honey.

Linkage is tight as old maids...better not go there...and sturdy as in construction.

Only one little problem, the ram stroke is about one inch too high in the full up position going into the swaging die. This does not allow me to screw the swaging die down into the press's frame so the ram stroke will top out without binding.

Should be an easy fix, just drill new pin holes on the linkage middle pin bolt bar and set them about one inch more toward the ram piston. That should shorten the stroke just enough for my swaging operations.

Going to talk to lee tomorrow and tell them what I've found per swaging. I know Pat will want to know about it and he might help get the holes done. Possibly they'll consider putting extra holes in future Classics for us swaging dudes.

See picture of middle linkage pin bolt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think I might see an easier fix on the ram stroke getting shorten, just take off the top off of the ram which is about 2 1/4 inches long...

(take off the press frame die adapter it unscrews 2.25 of an inch and is above the threaded shank)

Just cut off the shank part near the middle and turn down a half inch section on a lathe so it will slip it into the bottom inner portion, then tack weld the shellholder onto the base inner shank.

Only problem is I don't have tack welding gear. Will have to get Lee to help, or find me a machinest.

Jim

Attached Files: