new lever action rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by remington1990, Nov 19, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I have finally decided on a another gun but, I am not sure which one I want I've looked at a mossberg 464 in 30-30 or a marlin 336 in 30-30 but, I am not sure. I heard some bad things about the mossberg but I have heard some about the marlin to about the new ones. I have looked at some winchester 94's used and a marlin used but, mostly I can find new ones cheaper thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I do not really like lever guns since I had an action blow open on one and hurt my fingers, but I dislike the 94 Winchester the least of the ones listed above.
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I've got a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag and she's as acurate as you could ever want, but then it's 20 some years old.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have never owned or worked on a Marlin that was accurate, but that may just be me. Mossberg may be the manufacturer to go to for a really cheap shotgun but they have not proved themselves capable in centerfire, at least not yet.

If it is a classic lever gun you want it is hard to beat a Winchester in 30-30. Tons (is it 5 million or more?) were made and there are many on the used market. Pre 1964 versions get a pretty good premium used. The last ones are good enough for hunting in the East and can be found used much cheaper than the early versions.

But the absolutely best lever you can buy is the Browning BLR. You can find them used, either made in Belgium or later ones that were made in Japan. Both are excellent. They work on a rotating bolt principle so they can lock up as well as any bolt gun. The lever throw is short and all of the trigger guard moves with the trigger so there are no pinched fingers when operating the lever. It is available in many rifle cartridges from 243 to 300 Mag. It is well made (either Belgium or Japan). It been around for nearly 50 years so there are many out there used. Most have a deep beautiful Browning blue job and some have exceptional wood as well.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=003B&catalog_=B&content=BLR-Rifles

LDBennett

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  5. Jackman

Jackman New Member

My Marlin 336C in 35 Rem its my favorite :D it feels right, looks nice and pretty accurate with no scope :):)
  6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Back in the late 70's I bought a lever action marlin in 44 mag. I had to keep a screwdriver in my pocket to take gun apart in the woods as being a pistol cartridge, shell wouldn't slide into chamber consistently, jam right up 1 out of 3 times. I never bought another lever action after watching deer bound off with a jammed gun in my hands.
  8. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

As I said before I love my Marlin, but L-D has a good point about the BLR.
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

One of the absolute best lever guns is the Savage #99. They made them in .243, 250 & 300 Savage, .308 30-30 and a couple of now obscure calibers 22 High? which is 5.6X54R I think and a .303 (not the British one) The rotary magazine made it possible to shoot spire point bullets in a lever gun and I just love them. :D :eek:

You have too look at used gun stores but they are wonderful rifles. I had one in my possession for a couple months in 250-3000 and I fell in love with them. I found one this last week in .243 and bought it. See my other post :D
  10. LDBennett

As there are collectors out there for Winchester lever guns, there are the same for Savage Model 99's. I bought mine off a co-worker and could 4X my investment after about 15 years. They are great guns but now quite pricey.
    There are two basic styles: early and late.

The early ones were in calibers like 250 & 300 Savage, and other calibers that finding ammo for today is a challenge. These guns used a rotary magazine that Bill Ruger patterned the rotary magazine of the 10/22 after (actually the Ruger 44 carbine used it before the 10/22 did, I believe).

The later version discarded the rotary magazine and used a removable regular magazine. These guns also came in todays standard hunting calibers like 308 and 243 (and others).

The early guns are very collectable. I don't know about the later ones (??).

Anyway these are accurate reliable lever guns that are very well made. They are not much for spit and polish but just good utilitarian shooting machines. I like the look!

LDBennett
  11. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Mine has the rotary magazine in .243. I got lucky on this one.
  12. LDBennett

The Model 99 Savage I have (rotary magazine version) is from the 1950's and is in excellent shape. It is remarkably accurate too and is in 300 Savage. I have a collectors book but I didn't bother to research exactly what calibers were available in which guns, rotary or removable magazines, to answer this thread.

If anyone needs any info then just ask and I'll look it up, like serial number vs. build dates.

To be clear, I shoot all my guns and even though some are collectable, they get shot anyway!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

the two I would look at first are the any Marlin 1849 or 336. Of the Old Savage 99 They were a lever gun way ahead of their time.

I think Marlin has and always will be a much better lever gun than Winchester.

My dad has a few marlin lever guns. even has an 1895 45-70. That is perfect....

Browning would be a close 3rd with winchester about 3 laps down in 4th place.
  14. LDBennett

cpttango30:

Wow! You like to go for the underdog!

I have owned and worked on several Marlins and none were accurate at all.

The John Browning designed Winchester actions work like a charm, are smooth, and control the round from the magazine to the chamber.

My Browning BLR is an order of magnitude better fit and finish than any Marlin I have ever seen. Chambered in 243 my BLR shoots MOA at 100 yds for five shot groups all day.

My order would be:

BLR
    Browning lever clones
    Winchester pre-64
    winchester post-64
    And NO Marlins

When it comes to 45-70 I'll take my Browning 1886 clone made in Japan. A good box magazine lever is the Browning 1895 clone. Mine is in 30-40 Krag but I'd love to have one in 405 Winchester.

For handgun cartridge levers nothing beats the Browning Winchester clones of the Model 92, 65, and 53. I think them better than the real Winchester Model 92 that I also have.

For shear power it is very hard to beat the Winchester Model 71 in 348 Winchester. I have an original but the Browning clone is much nicer finished.

But we all get to choose.

LDBennett
  15. Python

Python Former Guest

I've bought two this year. One is a 1967 Winchester 94 30-30 that's never been fired (bought from a collector), and a new Henry Big Boy .357, also never been fired. Now that the temp. has dropped below 100 deg. I'll have a chance to try them out. :D

Attached Files:

16. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Check out the Henry Rifles. I have not only sold them (Bass Pro/Dicks) I have also shot them as well. I firmly believe they are an outstanding firearm with an extremely smooth action.have a great day!:)
  17. Munch

Munch Member

I have a 1969 marlin 336 that is a fantastic shooter, and as reliable as anything out there. Never had a single problem with it, and consider it to be an all around rifle. I can have a fun day at the range of course. But also I know that I can rely on it to take down nearly anything I may come upon on a hunting trip. I have owned other (Winchester) 30-30s, and I personally prefer the marlin.
  18. DidI

DidI New Member

I have been in posession of a Henry Big Boy in 357 for a few weeks. No fine tuning yet but I love shooting it lots. I believe the Hornady 180 gn bullet will work well. Also just getting started with a new Hornady Lock-N-Load AP and am very pleased there too.
    Some folks say 357 is marginal for deer and bigger. I already feel like I could hold my own with deer AND bigger. Accurate shot placement is more important than brute force.
    But a fun story from the past: After a day of Elk hunting Bart takes the head off a Spruce Grouse for camp dinner that eve. Used 338 Win Mag. Ole friend Leonard wanted to add to the meat plate so he tried to drop another Spruce chicken. Leonard carried a 300 Win Mag and he and Bart were forever debating the merits of their choice in Elk guns. Leonard missed a few times (yes them dumb Spruce chickens are that dumb) and Bart sez; "I got it Leonard, ur hit it but ur just not killing it". They had a silent dinner in camp that night.
  19. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Ive never heard of a reliability issue with a lever action rifle before this thread. That BLR looks pretty spiffy. Hey Python, those look great too. Let us know how they perform.

I'm partial to the Henry lever actions
  20. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I like them all the same, Marlin,Henry,Savage,Winchester, Mossberg. Great firearms. They are fun to shoot and accurate enough for me!:)