new lever action rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by remington1990, Nov 19, 2011.

1. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

You should have no problem with deer. I use a 158 gr. jhp with 6.8 gr of bullseye powder in my .357 lever. Killed many a deer with that round. All under 50 yards. For factory loads check out buffalo bore rounds.
  2. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

anybody has the 44-40 I looking at one in a rossi 92 I am not sure about the caliber it hard to find around here. How would it be for deer hunting I know factory ammo is more to cowboy action but is there any rounds for hunting
  3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Don't buy a 44-40 unless your just into old calibers. get a marlin in the 44 mag. OR go back to the 30-30 and get a marlin new or used. If you want a lever action with balls then as covered allready get the browning BLR. Yes you can kill deer with all sorts of calibers ever loaded in lever rifles but if money is tight you might as well buy one in a caliber than is common today ,found in most any store and will do the job at a distance over 150 yards.
  4. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I looked at the 44-40 ammo and after not finding anybody that sell it on the shelf I thought I would looked at something different. How is the rossi rio grand thanks
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Remembering this is just my opinion, all the Italian and South American clones of Winchesters are below any of the ones I mentioned earlier. I also am not a Henry fan. They are flashy deluxe and don't compare to even to a Marlin. But there are those who would disagree. I speak from my experience and yours may differ.

LDBennett
  6. Python

Python Former Guest

You get what you pay for, flashy deluxe and all.
  7. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

sounds like a factory rep
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

reminton 1990 You sound like your now looking to buy a purty rifle not one for hunting, just a purty little range gun. At least get the 454 cassul. Darn you can nuy a nice bolt rifle for the cost of those thangs.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I would like to have one for both. the 44-40 is out I can't find any ammo for hunting for it so I will more then likely get the 30-30 in a marlin thank
  10. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

Marlin levers have gone down hill since they were picked up by freedom group and sent to remingtons Newyork facility, If you find one with "JM" stamped on the barrel just in front of the reciever its a real marlin.
  11. pricedo

pricedo New Member

I have one in .308 Win that is the last of the BLR 81 Lightweights in the Takedown version.
    They still make the 81 with the barrel band but not in the Takedown version anymore.
    I like the barrel band.
    The barrel band reminds me of my old much beloved 1950's vintage Win 94 I lost in a house fire.
    My BLR is a "gold trigger" Miroku Japanese made gun.
    The only thing I hate about the gun is the trigger.
    I'm going to have Neil Jones tune the trigger up for me whenever I have a chance to get to PA.
    He's one of the few 'smiths that can tune a BLR trigger with a noticeable improvement.
    Others will "polish" the action and hand you a bill and the only thing lighter will be your wallet.........bin there, dun that.
    If you want to see your local gun smith turn colors and change the subject in a hurry ask him about tuning your BLRs trigger.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  12. pricedo

pricedo New Member

My Rossi Rio Grande in .30 WCF is an excellent gun after I cleaned the brown Rossi GUNK out of the barrel, action and mag tube.
    It came in the box full of a mixture of cosmoline, rust, machining cuttings and dirt that I had to wash and purge out with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner.
    It seemed like the gun was warehoused in a mud puddle.
    Luckily the discoloration was superficial with no permanent pitting or corrosion.
    After lubing with Remoil the gun was as smooth as silk.
    Very accurate, smooth and the BEST trigger I've ever seen on a levergun.
    I had a Rossi Puma 92 that came in the box full of what I'll now call Rossi GUNK.....again superficial.......after cleaning & lubing the gun was fantastic.
  13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have my eye on two BLR's:
    http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110601172822000
    http://www.ukgunroom.com/viewGun.jsp?id=10543&fromSearch=true

Both same price: £495 ($785).

Is this a good price? Which one would be better? Other thoughts?

For some reason the one in the UK Gunroom has been around for about a year, so the seller might give a price break.

Thanks.
  14. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I can only speak to that which I've handled and shot.

My Winchester 30-30 has never jammed in the almost 30 years of use. It is as accurate as most bolt rifles. Unfortunately, the new ones are very expensive.

I have shot Henry rifles in 45 colt and 22 mag. Both rifles had minor problems but were fixed after being sent back to the factory. The 45 long colt was a "Bigboy" which was pretty heavy. Both rifles were accurate, the 22mag being better with 1.25" groups at 100 yards.

My brother had a Marlin 30-30 a while back, beautiful rifle! From what I remember it was reliable and accurate. It was a bit on the heavy side.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  15. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The majority of gallery rifles in our gun club are Marlin. Our club won a number of medals at last year's national competition at Bisley, and won our regional championship.

I shoot in the competitions and make the others look good!! :)

From benchrest, I can shoot the center out of the target with my Marlin lever action .357 at 25 yards.

Many seasoned gallery rifle competitors don't clean their gun barrels between stages in the competition because, they say, the barrel needs to have some leading to maintain precison. One of the guys in the club said he cleaned in spring, but won't clean it again until November, after the competition season is over. He does clean the action, but not the bore.

Hunting? Some of the club members have police permission to use their .44 magnum rifles to hunt deer, foxes, and rabbits (pest control). No long shots, most under 100 yards.