1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

NEW MARLIN GOT SOME ?'s

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by .22 Varmint, Jan 30, 2005.

1. .22 Varmint

.22 Varmint New Member

OK i just got a new marlin 925M about 2 weeks ago, and i love it.seeing as i just got it i have some questions. first, is there anyplace i can find a large selection of aftermarket parts for a marlin?? i am mainly looking for a barrel, and i am hoping that they make parts for marlins. secondly,how do you dissasemble the guns? i got the bolt out, but i can not figure out how to dissasemble it any further. and finally what is the difference between the 982 series marlin and the 925 ???

2. Colonel Plink

Colonel Plink New Member

I've owned a half a dozen Marlins in the past couple of yers, though never your particular gun. The bad news is that there are few, if any after-market accessories of component for Marlin rimfires. The good news is Marlins rarely need 'em. My experience with Marlin rimfires is that they're invariably accurate and relatively trouble-free, considering their cost. Shoot it. Enjoy it. And if you need to make a race-ready supergun, get a 10-22. There are a TON of aftermarket toys for it.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree and I've been shooting Marlins since 1940.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have a 983S (22 WMR)
    I see no need make any changes to it.
    Shoots great with a nice trigger pull.
    I did add a Bushnell 3x9 to it

[​IMG]

The dif between a 925 and a 982 is the 982 is 22WMR and the 925 is 22LR
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i happen to have a 925 that is a 22wmr... it has been giving me problems with misfiring, i bought it used... the local gunsmith said they have a problem with that, he said the striker spring wears out fast for some reason, 6 bucks will get me another one though
  6. Gerald D

Gerald D New Member

Color me stupid, but you just purchased this rifle and want a new barrel? Have you shot it and found it wanting in accuracy? None of my business but I'm curious as to your thinking.

Gerald
  7. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The other members have said it all!:D
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    YEP...........................OLD SEMPERFI
  9. mikld

mikld Active Member

A lot of folks like to customize their guns, just like their cars. A lot purchase 10/22s just to be able to customize it and M1911s are the same. I'm sure if more after market parts were available for Marlins, more Marlins would be customized, just because. I've got my eye on some after market parts for my RIA M1911, even though it shoots fine...
  10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Well, so far, the only things made for bolt-action Marlins are Stocks from Boyd's & Richard's Microfit...Rifle-Basix makes a trigger kit...and slings/sights/scopes.

Of course, that's all they really NEED...as the standard Marlin Micro-Groove barrel is on par with heavy target barrels from other sources. All YOU have to do is figure out which ammo your particular rifle likes best.

Wanna shoot a dime 7 times at 50 yards?? Pick up a Marlin :D

Oh yeah, the diff between a 925M & 982 is the 982-VS has a Heavy Target Barrel...where the 925 has a medium tapered barrel. Chances you'll ever notice the difference...small.

At 150 yards...the coyotes sure can't tell...they just die from headshots from my Marlin 25MN.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  11. Sakarus

Sakarus New Member

Just thought I'd put a link to Pic's of my Marlin 22 Mag after refinishing. I hated that yellowish sks look to the factor stock. Did my mag and a friends bull barrel .17. Both made night and day difference.

In album here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/markworkman/DropBox#

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Makes a huge change. Stripped them, Ebony Stain, Took chisel and defined the checkering edges a bit more, painted checkering inserts with a dark gray, cleared with Deft Semi-Gloss clear, multiple coats with sanding in between. Final buff with McGuires fine cut cleaner, then carnuba.

I'd say it changed the rifle a bit.

Both GREAT tack drivers.

FYI - Here's my Marlin XS7 in .308...great gun too. 3 Tone camo job, darker after I cleared it. Flash also making it a bit brighter...Baby Eagle .40 in the corner

[​IMG]

Mark Workman
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  12. big steve

big steve New Member

Those are awesome looking thanks for sharing.
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Oh, BTW, Boyd's Riflestocks carries stocks that you can use on yours...anything for a Marlin 917/925/982-series will fit.
    They are Limited Production Items...so they only pop up about once every 3 months...if you send an Email to them, they will contact you a week before they are availablee for order.

The 917's & 982-VS are Heavy Barrel stocks, so you will be free-floated by default.

This thread shows a Boyd's Evolution Stock...and a Thumbhole-type...
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335823
    [​IMG]

If you are in a rush, you can order an uninletted stock and inlet it youself.
    But that is not for the non-woodworker...experienced WW's only.