1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Another successful government program.

Clunker Math

The person who calculated this bit of information went to high school in Pittsburgh , Pa.

He is now & has been a professor at The University of West Virginia in Morgantown, West Virginia for the last forty some years. Most of us never looked at the clunker program in such depth.

Clunker Math

Think of it this way: A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year. They claim 700,000 vehicles so that's 224 million gallons saved per year. That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption. More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars. So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.

We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved.

I'm pretty sure they will do a great job with our health care though.

2. jim summers

jim summers Well-Known Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I am sure they will, they have such smart people running our country.
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Yep, that sounds about right.
    Thanks for the post, geez huh
  4. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

Yeah but a large reason for the cash for clunkers was for the environment, I'd think that to be WAY more valuable than the gasoline saved.