1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New Member Intro & A Question or Two

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gorag65, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Gorag65

Gorag65 New Member

Hi All!

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here and say to the organizers and members that this site is excellent and extremely well run.

I have been lurking here for a few weeks now and have found a wealth of information and wonderful attitudes too.

I recently returned to recreational shooting (paper punching) after a long 20 yr hiatus (Don't ask but suffice it to say it had to do with the first wife) :eek:

I have since remarried and purchased a couple small caliber rifles for my stepson and I to shoot together. His is a Savage 22 LR bolt action and mine is a Savage 22-250 bolt.
    I love these guns and have had a ball teaching him the basics of safety as well as shooting. :cool:

My question(s) relate to cleaning equipment and the preferences of you more experienced members.

Currently, I am using a 22 cal. all pupose kit with brass cleaning rod and swivel T-handle. I am interested in finding out how you folks feel about using a Bore Snake for quick (non-teardown) cleanings. Also, I saw the Otis kits and was wondering how these two kits compare and what the pros & cons are for each, if any.

I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a quality kit. I just want it to be effective and fairly easy to use. those are things I'm willing to pay extra for.

I searched the forums already and didn't find anything helpful for these questions. If I missed something please feel free to point me in the right direction and I'll happily read on wherever I need to.

Thanks in advance to all of you and safe shooting!

-steve
  2. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

I have a Savadge MK2 .22 and I clean it just enough to keep it accurate. I dont use brass in my gun because of the soft steel used to make it. The brass wears out the rifling. I just use a cleaning swab soaked in bore cleaner. Then another with oil. Thats all I suggest doing. As for a quick cleaning, do it slow and do it right is my motto.
  3. cec

cec New Member

I use a boresnake in my guns and find that it does work well for a quick clean.

I also use it as part of my teardown cleaning. I run the boresnake through to get most of the loose material out of the way, then use the brass brush and cleaning pads to finish the job. I think of it as the quick rinse before using soap on water on a car.

As for the cleaning rod, I have the same basic "Kleen Bore" kit I purchased years ago for my .22 rifle.
  4. Gorag65

Gorag65 New Member

Charagrin & cec: Thanks for the quick response.

Any info on the Otis Kits?
    I prefer first-hand use info but will take whatever I can get. :)

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    -steve
  5. durk

durk New Member

Welcome to TFF.:)
  6. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

I had an Otis kit but it was for shotguns. It worked ok but I ended up giving away along with a shotgun to a friend.
  7. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:eek: i dunno what kinda cleaning kits we have, so i cant help you there.

but wanted to say WELCOME ABOARD!:)
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you can find most everything you need to maintain your rifles at your local wal-mart... they have a pretty good selection of "outers" brand stuff, as well as "dac". i would recommend you get a one piece, steel, vinyl-coated rod though, it keeps your barrel crown from becoming damaged when you poke the patch through the barrel... aluminum and brass ore ok for the larger calibers (30 and above) but with those 22s you need be very careful if you wanna keep em accurate. aluminum and brass are very soft metals, and when you run them through a bore so close in size they tend to work like a lap and can actually "sand" your rifling out of your bore. just get a vinyl rod and pretty much any kind of cleaning supplies should keep you shooting accurately for many years to come.
  9. Gorag65

Gorag65 New Member

Thanks again to all for the responses and for the welcome. :)

I think I'll try getting the vinyl coated steel rod to use for my full cleaning chores and also use the Bore Snake (picked up today) for the interim cleanings.

One more question:
    I picked up some Break Free CLP as well and it seems that I can use that as a single solvent/lube for the interim cleanings instead of using a separate solvent and Hoppes #9 lube.

Is this acceptable or will I cause damage over the long term? (currently averaging about 100 rounds per month through the rifle)

Thanks again to everyone!

-steve
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I do use the bore snakes on the range for all my guns even pistols but as for the cleaning rod on 22 use a good vinyl coated rod. DO NOT OVER CLEAN A 22LR that is what causes the most damage to 22LR Break free is fine
    BLUE WONDER IS TOPS
    Just an old mans 2 cents.
    Welcome to TFF
    Ron
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome aboard!
  12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Here is another welcome to the forum.

I didn't know you were supposed to clean guns. :eek: :p ;):D :D
  13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

WELCOME!!

As for cleaning the bore snake will do for a fast cleaning on both and good for the rimfire almost all the time. For the centerfire I would suggest a good stainless steel rod with bearing handle and clean from the receiver. Brass and aluminum are soft and can pick up residue and carry it into the bore.
    More firearms have been damaged due to improper cleaning than ever worn out.
    Be safe and have fun.
  14. Welcome to TFF, Gorag65. Glad to have you with us! :)