New Member, New Rifles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyV, Jun 5, 2011.

1. JerseyV

JerseyV New Member

Hello, I am a new to the firearm and hunting community. I am 5'4 and 150lbs so with that said, does anyone have any recommendations for a rifle that might be good for me? I would like my first rifle to be decently priced as well.
    I heard of the Remington 597 and read some pretty decent reviews but does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Greatly appreciated!:)
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Hi JerseyV
    Best advice is go touch and hold a lot of guns.
    They feel different, have different balance, and
    no one can tell you which is 'the' best for you.
    Define what you want the particular arm for and
    it's particular use, then decide on the caliber
    you want it in. Don't be in a rush, and hold
    a lot, a bunch, a s%$t-pot full of them.
    Enjoy, and be safe.

Attached Files:

3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Besides what ozo said, tell us what you are hunting. Is it large deer or moose or hogs or what? This will give us an idea what caliber you may need. Will you hunt in the mountains or in thick brush? There are so many variables....
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The guys my dad used to hunt with all used Remingtons. I think my uncle's got a .308, dad's got a .30-06 and the other two guys they hunted with had .300 Short Mags.

I almost think .300 Win Mag is better though because you have more accuracy and more range and since it's higher power it'll hold its energy better at longer range.

They all hunt deer btw. If you're hunting like elk n stuff, I would probly go for .300 Win Mag or something bigger like .338 Win Mag. I also hear a lot of people who hunt stuff like that with .45-70s.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Welcome Jersey. You are not much bigger than my wife, so you will likely find best fit with youth model firearms. Something in the 12"-13" length of pull area.

I would recommend a rem 700 youth model in .243 winchester.. It will weigh less than 7 pounds scoped and powerful enough to kill most game. If you desire a bit more power, then go with the same rem 700 youth in .308. and have the power to cleanly kill anything south of canada..
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum Jersey what r u using rifle for? i am the same size as you and the marlin 60 tube fed fits me fine but like ozo said you have to hold different rifles to see which one feels right. i handled many pistols until i found the right one it just felt right the one that i picked
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day Jersey , Remington 597 , so based on that your after a ,22 lr autotloader or semi auto rimfire,

theres lots of those , Marlin , Savage Browning Ruger,winchester are good cheap starting points too the Rem is not as cheap but a solid well finished rifle and the new range is nice too , if expensive in my mind . (the VTR !!!! $$$$ )

there are a number of very cheap and also reliable plinker/hunters out there, the Sterling range is one , i had one as my main field hunter for bunnies roo's and cat's here for almost 20 years without a issue

and the same can be said of most of the reputable brands

try them all , go to a range that rents , make a day of it , put 20-50 rounds through each one and see what YOU like , shoot well with , and feels goo to your hand ,

and remember accessories , if somethings not 100% to what you want dont totally disregard it , amazing what a difference a $25 grip or some skate board grip sheet can do , $30 sights too $45 for a trigger , over under sight mounts , etc etc etc

get what suits you and enjoy!!! thats what its all about .. and welcome!!!
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

What they said. Try out different ones.