New Member (Remington R1)

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Redbeard, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

Hey All. I'm new to the forum. I have been shooting since I was six (I'm 32 now). I shot a bit of Corporate Challenge and some simple slow fire target competitions. I am interested in getting into IDPA and/or IPSC type competition as it seems fun.

I had a Seecamp modified 1911A1 for many years. Unfortunately while it was in safe at my fathers house last year it was stolen along with many other firearms also in the safe.

I tried a SA XDm 5.25 Competition to replace my 1911. It was a nice gun but I found myself looking for another 1911 anyway. So, I gave the XDm to my Dad (who loved it more than I did) and bought a Remington R1. It was a good combo of features for the price. I must say I am happy with the purchase. It will let me mod the gun without feeling like I am ruining a "nice gun".

Comparo between guns (XDm 5.25 & R1):
    [​IMG]

Here is the first 14 rounds out of the gun @ 10 yards:
    [​IMG]

I have seen some complaints about the pistol. I haven't had any real issues. In the first 500 rounds I had 6 failures. 5 were fail to feeds on the last round in the magazine and one was a failure to eject midway through the magazine though that was in the first 50 rounds. It does shoot low which I have heard is an issue but I just use the "Ole' Kentucky Windage" and adjust my point of aim. Not bad as far as I'm concerned for a recreational pistol.

I have modified it with a Wilson Combat full-length guide rod (I know it doesn't do anything but I like it) and 18lb spring. I all have a Hogue grip as well.

Comments, questions, random quotations welcome. :D
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF Redbeard. that's a nice Remington and that is what I am considering for my next purchase.
  3. dcriner

dcriner Member

I have a new R1 - shot a box of .45s through it - no probems. And, it looks good and the price is reasonable.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think I will get the enhanced.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

Sounds like you are ready for some IDPA and/or IPSC.
    Enjoy.
  6. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Welcome to the 1911 side of the forum!
  7. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I decided to do a full take down of the pistol and see what I had to work with.

[​IMG]

Not too bad over all. Trigger has a nice polished bow. I took the last bits of cosmoline/grease off of the internals. It has the Model 80 safety stuff so reassembly of the sear & disconnect are extra complex.
  8. Cuba

Cuba New Member

Redhead, congratulations on your new purchase, there's nothing wrong with a FLGR, makes it easier to separate the slide from the frame without dismantling the barrel and bushing from the slide, less parts to keep up with, just pop the slide stop off and separate, by the way good shooting there.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun