New member seeking information

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by echo tango, Jul 29, 2008.

1. echo tango

echo tango New Member

I have recently acquired a box of reloading equipment. The contents of the box included a Thumler's Tumbler Ultra Vibe 18, Hornady Pacific press, scale and trimmer, Lyman A-A reloading dies (38 spec - 357 mag), RCBS - FL die set - 223 REM. In addition to those items there was also some powder; Hercules Blue Dot and Winchester Western Ball Powder (231 and 296).

For the most part all items seem to be in good condition aside from some rust on the trimmer and press. What's the best way to clean these items up using solvents or lubricants, and which ones?

Also would you consider the partially used canisters of powder to be safe?
  2. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

NO! I have just begun my journey into reloading but I would not trust any powder that has not been straight from the factory/retailer to you. You have no way of knowing if the previous owner of the powder did anything to the powder, mixed the powder, or even put it in the wrong container. And even if the previous owner swears it is what it is labeled to be it is better to safe than sorry.

Welcome to forum echo-tango you will find a whole bunch of very knowledgable people here. Glad to have you here
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    ET
    Welcome to the forum, if you have a question and you can't get an answer here, then you won't find it anywhere.

artabr New Member

Good answer Xavier. :)

Art
  5. Shellback

Shellback New Member

If you are going to start reloading you need to read, read, read, There are alot of great books like the ABC's of reloading and you have got to familiarize yourself with safety and procedures before you attempt to load anything.
    Tim
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

xavier is dead on. safety first man, just use that leftover to start your next campfire, get a few good manuals and read up. reloading is fun and rewarding, welcome to this addicting hobby and have fun with it.
  7. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Welcome to the world of reloading...

I would suggest just reviewing the products online website for FAQ's on cleaning and maintenience of the equipment.

Do your research and be safe.
  8. echo tango

echo tango New Member

I appreciate your input and suggestions.

Sadly, there were no manuals inside this box, but I'll take your advise and check a couple of websites to see what I can come up with.

Thanks guys.
  9. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Welcome echo,

As much as I hate to waste stuff everyone is right so far. You just don't know what you have in an opened container of powder.
    I heard you can put it out on the lawn or garden and it'll actually be good fertilizer. Do it just before a rain.(safty first)

Oh and for clean ups and rust preventers WD-40 is the best stuff ever. I buy it in gallon containers. Little spraying and toothbrushing and that ought to do ya.