Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Canvasman, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

2. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Welcome Canvasman. I compiled your threads and moved the cohesive here to Ask the Pros forum. I feel you will get the best answers here.

Nice colt BTW.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

5. Danny

Danny Member

What you have is super nice, indeed. To the right Colt collector I would value your outfit around 3500 or even more. What do ya say, Shooter?
    Regards

Danny
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I doubt he would get anywhere near $3500, with the papers and box, even if it is original. IMHO it has been restored.

Jim
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jim , what makes you think its been restored ?
  8. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

Thanks for the the help. I guess I will have to check out the what it's worth forum to here from the experts. I don't agree with the restored comment that gun hasn't been out of the box since it was new. That's my guess. It was given to to me by a friend of the family who pasted several years ago. He was a WWII marine vet.
  9. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

Jim, what does IMHO mean?
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

In My Humble Opinion ;)

Canvasman its a nice piece , value ? lots , $3500 ?? i cant say , what ever the market can bare ... but i'm doubting refinish , but still asking why ..
  11. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

Jim, an eye for an eye is the old testament. Jesus said to turn the other cheek ( if your a Christian that is ) HOWEVER, if he's got a gun or is hurt'in your family shoot um.
  12. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

Just saw your post Jim. Thanks for the info. I hope to make some new friends here.
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Please tell me what this comment has to do with this thread? I need to know so I can decide wheather or not to delete it. Thanks.
  14. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

Danny, I am just about to freak out about your opinion of this piece. Thanks for the info I am sure of its original condition. Since I am new to this site I don't who the experts are. But you have my vote Mr. Senior member sir. Now I have to decide if I want to part with the little beauty. I have a whole new respect for it now.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I think it's directed at my signature

a few lines from a song i like

and thats ok i turn the cheek often , been slapped often

but the Good Book also ( new testiment ) shows that evil must be fought

as in if you have no sword take your purse ( wallet ) and buy one

if you have no purse, then sell your clothes , ( go naked if you have to but be armed )

Welcome to the forum ( sorry i normally start with that , but i've been remiss , sorry )

cheers
  16. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

I was just responding to Jacks quote quote in his message. No disrespect intended. If I offended any one it was not intentional. Looking for good discussions and friendly banter only. Lou
  17. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

Whew, thanks Jack sure didn't mean anything negative. I'm glad to meet you and all here.
  18. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no offence taken mate , i'm a Aussie , we all have our own views , and thats what makes the world great ...

happy to see new faces here , its a great place and hope you enjoy it here , i do ;)
  19. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Canvasman,

First, my opinion is just that, but I have seen at truckload of those pistols and that one (IMHO) is not original. Do you KNOW that the pistol has never been out of the box and is unfired? Or is that what it looks like or what someone told you?

I think it not only has been restored, but that the job was done by Turnbull. They keep records and will inform anyone who asks if a specific model and serial number has been worked on by them.

My reasons are not easy to explain. The bluing used by Colt c. 1919 is a hard, black color; all angles are sharp, the frame-slide surfaces are absolutely flat. I have two of those guns from the same era, so I am not going by pictures. If you have any other Colts (revolver or auto) of that time, compare the color and more important the mirror shine, which doesn't seem to be there in the .25 auto pictured. The color case hardening is too colorful; that applied by Colt is more subdued.

Here are some things to look for. Look under the grips for any signs of pitting, especially at the edges of the grips. Look for wear on the slide. Look for wear on the striker and sear. Look at the recoil spring guide. Look at the back of the slide/frame to see if there is a "dip" at the joint where the parts were polished separately. Colt polished those parts down together, so there should be an almost perfect "join" with out a "dip". I could go on, but that should be enough.

That a gun comes with the box and papers does not mean it is new and unfired. I have the box and papers for my Model 19, and I guarantee it is not unfired unless you count maybe 10 k rounds as unfired. (It still looks near new, though - I take care of my guns.)

Could I be wrong? Sure. Been wrong before and will be again. And in a few cases, I have backed down simply to avoid making an enemy. If you are willing to accept without question that the gun is new and unfired, OK, it is your gun. But if you paid high dollar for a story, you might want to see what you can do about rectifying the situation.

Jim
  20. Canvasman

Canvasman New Member

Well no one told me it was never fired I just said I thought it was possible. Looking at it shows very little wear. The gun was purchased well before I was born and it was given to me as a gift so I don't have to worry that I was scammed. I came seeking opinions and I respect yours the same as all the rest. I don't know the restoration company you mentioned and since I got it from a family member all I can say is there was never any talk of restoration. I have been aware of this guns existence for over 20 years and I am certain it has not been restored in that time frame. This will no doubt have to be put in the hands of an expert to evaluate. Thanks for sharing.