"New Model" Vaquero......?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I've got an "old model" Vaquero in polished stainless, .45 Colt, with the 5.5" barrel, and I like the fact that it's built heavy as I do reload and like to occassionally push the limits with +P magnum loads.

My favorite "hot" load for the .45 Colt is 20.0 grs. of 2400 under either my home cast 255 gr. RNFP's, or my 252 gr. LSWC's. This load is actually approaching the .454 Casull arena, and the Ruger Blackhawk, and old model Vaquero handles this load with no problems.

However, with all I've heard & read about the "New Model" Vaquero with the free spin pawl, beveled cylinder, and an over all size emmulating the original Colt SAA, it sounds like a terrific gun. I know I could never fire my "hot" loads through it, but it surely will handle all my light to moderate loadings of .45 Colt as they are all within SAAMI standards.

I have yet to see one of these new Vaquero's in any of the local gun shops, so I haven't had the oppertunity to even hold one. Has anybody here see, held, touched, fondled, or better yet.....fired one of these new six shooters, and if so.....what's your honest opinion on them......?

How's the fit & finish......?
    How's the feel & balance.....?
    How's the trigger pull......?

Thanks in advance.....Tony
  2. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

Haven't seen any yet but regarding the "hot" loads issue with them, remember these were built for the CASS folks specifically. They have no need to shoot the "hot" stuff. They're built to closer represent the original Colt SAA in size. With smaller dimendsions comes a a compromise in strength. I'm betting more than a handful of idiots don't read thier manuals on the use of hot loads with them and blow them up. If so, hey, stupid is as stupid does - they'll deserve it in my opinion. There's more than enuff of the old Vaqueros out there to use if a fixed sighted blackhawk strength Ruger SA desired.
  3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    I would guess the "New Model" Vaquero is still stronger than a Colt SAA, but not that much. Yes, hotloads should only be used in the standard Vaquero and Blackhawks.
  4. Colonel Plink

Colonel Plink New Member

I just got the new Gun Tests magazine in the mail today. They had some kinda problem with the cylinder "skipping" after they had sent it back as per ruger's request. Apparently, there had been some kind of "glitch" that the company wanted to address. Funny thing, the gun worked fine BEFORE they sent it back, and the "skipping" problem happened afer Ruger had "repaired" it. None of the loads tested exceeded 850 fps. From what I could surmise, this is strictly a CASS revolver.
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

To quote myself in case you all missed it........

Assuming I get one of these, it would infact be solely for shooting the lighter CAS loads.
    I've been hearing about a lot of problems with this new model, and for now I think I'll just wait and see what comes of it. As for the hot +P .45 Colt loads, I'm turning my desires toward a 5.5" Redhawk in .45 Colt specificly to shoot the hot stuff, and save the Vaquero for what it's really intended for.....CAS