New NY Law: background check for all ammo purchases but not components

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RAJBCPA, Jan 15, 2013.

1. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

I'm still reading the new NY law. As a NY resident, I will now need to get a background check to purchase ammo. This means all ammo purchases must be made in-person at an FFL location within NY. If you buy ammo on-line, it must be shipped to an FFL.

Since the law appears to be silent on ammo components like primers, powder, brass, bullets, etc., I assume no background check is necessary and NY residents can still buy these on the Internet and have the seller ship them directly to your house.

This new law should go a long way to stop another Newtown child killing.
  2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

More hypocrisy. Anti-gunners are so afraid of reloaders making "more deadly" rounds. Factory ammo is out of reach, but you can make your own no problem.
    6 rounds and a gun is HARMLESS, 8 and it's a machine waiting to kill you all on it's own.
    Libs never let the facts get in the way of their sick ideology.
  3. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

This is such unbelievable BS, I can't even comprehend the level of paranoid, power mad psychosis Coma, Obama and the rest of them are afflicted with. Gotta be a genetic mutation that affects Democrats/Progressives/Liberals in this way. They all ought to be fitted with straight jackets, permanently prevented from reproducing, and confined in rubber rooms for the rest of their un-natural lives. :mad::mad:
  4. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

I fully expect king Obama to implement similar de-facto laws on the federal level which he intends to do without Congressional approval through presidential executive orders.

On this you can bet.
  5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

does the new law include shotgun ammo, .22?
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

wow. this will surely stop any mass shooting. good for them....
    yikes
  7. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

How is this going to work? The NICS check is a federal check for firearms. How are they going to do a local check? There is no way that they have the money to implement this system.
  8. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Why not go out of state to buy ammo, then take it back to NY?
  9. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

The new NY law creates and funds a NICS-like background check system for NY only.

If I buy ammo in NY Wednesday, I assume the FFL who will sell it to me will use the federal NICS system until the NY system is up and running. All information on ammo sales are reported to local NY police for possible action.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

11. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

At least with the federal NICS background system, I can be assured that the information collected by the federal government is immediately destroyed and cannot be kept in any paper or electronic form.

Under the NY backgrpound check, your name, address, ammo purchase and other information will be forever included in an electronic data base of ammo buyers and the information will be reported to local police for their possible action.

Gee. I guess many folks will decide to reload instead of buying completed ammo.

I have not finished reading the entire law, but I assume it is not lawful to travel to another state, buy ammo and drive back to NY. Anyway, this whole system will be implemented on the federal level when Obama issues his 19 executive orders on gun control and which do not require Congressional action.

The baby killer changed our world - LIVE WITH IT!
  12. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

The background check for ammo purchases in NY covers shotgun and 22 ammo because it is dangerous and can be used to kill babies.
  13. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

So if the law is enforced as I understand it nail guns will now be illegal. They do shoot a projectile and the magazines holds more than 7 rounds. And I guess that means you need a background check before buying nail gun ammo? Hmmm.
  14. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

seven round magazines, i guess my 10/22 is now a 7/22. Or since the law is only 7 rounds in the mag. maybe i can put 1 in the chamber and 7 in the mag and make it a 8/22. I can see now the law is so confusing i should just report to jail tomorrow and just and let them just book me.
  15. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member