New or Used Garand

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Righteous, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Righteous

Righteous New Member

seeing how they still make new ones whats the difference if any other then being used...rebuilt etc. between new ones and the ones CMP has? Is it the background and history that makes the older ones more sought after ? I know there are makes other then SA that are more rare so thats a gimmie. Fixing to buy my first Garand and was planning on riding to CMP to look them over but i work for a sporting goods store and we get a employeee discount with Springfield. I dont want the best money can buy but want the best i can get for my money for what i want to do with it, mainly just to have one and to shoot it now and then with reasonalby accuracy.
  2. Plundering Bill

Plundering Bill New Member

It really comes down to how much you want to spend. I have several Garands and I adore them. Some will tell you that the "new" ones just don't seem to have the same appeal...however, the final choice is up to you. You will find that the new ones have slightly fatter stocks from Boyds than the CMP editions.

The CMP models usually have some decent ware...you may want to take a gauge with you to determine remaining life left.

Just some thoughts.
  3. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

It's been a long time since I posted here , but I had to weigh in on this one .
    I have two wartime Garands and they are precious to me . The way I see it , they have " been there , done that " . You need to decide what's important to YOU . For me , it's a no brainer . I want to hold that piece of history in my hands .
  4. Righteous

Righteous New Member

Its the history that brought me to them so its that i will go with
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have two Garands: an original SA one produced in the last month of WWII and a Big Five Sporting Goods store (BFSG) one. The former I have modified with a new barrel (heavy) bedded the stock, added a scope, and refinished the stock. I also replaced any heavily worn parts. The latter is a US made receiver (not the new SA one) with Beretta surplus internals. I added the Boyds stock. The BFSG really shoots while the "real" garand is just an OK shooter. I have less invested in each of these two Garands then I would have if I bought a new SA version. But there is a draw to having a new any rifle..... You get to wear it out and it will probably take a long time.

As for an investment any Garand in decent shape will out pace any other version you might buy. If you think you will ever sell it then buy an original but if it going to be in your safe forever and in you kids safe after you are gone then it makes no diference which you buy. For occasional shooting I really like my Italian Garand. If I were to buy a Garand today and did not already have two I think I'd try to find a non-collectable run of the mill regular Garand that you see all the time at gun show in the $700 price range (or the CMP ones) but I'd make sure the barrel was not shot out (there is a gage you can buy from Brownells), the rilfing was bright and shiny, and the overall appearance was good and not beat up. To avoid any risk I might consider the new SA. The BFSG version is no longer available or that would actually be my first choice as the ones me and my son-in-law bought were gems.

LDBennett
  6. Richard47

Richard47 New Member

Buy your Garand from Civilian Marksmanship Program. Direct from the government, cheapest, best service, they'll guarantee it.......Google CMP Sales, then CMP Forum to learn about it. Oh, they have relaodable 30:06 timed for Garand for about 26 cents per cartridge, less than the price of the bullet or the brass.

Everyone in America should do CMP.
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

8. artabr

artabr New Member

9. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Or did you mean buy it now....before I do?

And by "I", I mean YOU!
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  10. bluesteelnwood

bluesteelnwood New Member

Reallly surprised no one mentiioned that " new" Garands are made by SA Inc. and are not real USGI Garands made for the goverment. Their receilvers are cast instead of forged and their is nothing new about them except the receiver which is often out of spec, the stock and the commercial barrel. The rest of the parts are USGI that have been refinished and not new. The SA Inc is not the SA armory that made USGI Garands for the government and underwent extensive inspection to the point that if one of a hundred barrels were defective the whole group were scraped. Winchester, IHC and HRA were the private makers that also made Garands for the Goverment. ALso SA Inc. do not have any collector value. If new is important to you, get a collector grade from CMP for $950 which is close to being new. Believe me you will not regret buying from CMP. THe service grade which has an excellent barrel and stock etc is only $595. When these Garands run out the price will go up while your SA INc will and does go down the moment you buy it. Ask your boss what you pay a customer for a SA Inc versus a very good condition SA.
  11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I would go with the CMP I got a beautiful shooter from them and I expect you can set yourself with the same. For less money then new.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Righteous - If you decide to go to one of the CMP stores (they are only open Wed - Fri), you do not need to buy any guages to take with you. They have guages that they will let you use and another great thing about them is that the employees will help you with the guaging and picking out the best possible rifle.

I have bought three rifles from the CMP (2 M1's and a P17). Two of them by mail and one in person at the South Store in Anniston, Alabama.

I will make a couple of suggestions to you:

(#1) if you go to one of the stores, get there at opening time to get the best selection.
    (#2) go to their website (www.odcmp.com), download the application form and have it filled out when you get there.
    (#3) Make sure you have all of the documentation that it takes to purchase a rifle from the CMP, the application form will tell you what you need.

It is a really pleasureable (is that a word) experience to walk into that store and see several hundred M1 Garands lined up wall to wall. Not to mention 1903's, M1 Carbines, Kimber 22 rifles, and other things as well.
  13. Santa

Santa New Member

Go original -- even if you have to get it totally rebuilt by a custom shop. A much better investment and no need to worry that someone messed up the machining or heat treatment with those original parts.
  14. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Just bought a nice used one over on "Brand X" to go with my 03A3 that should be here this week.

I know, I spoil myself. The good side of living alone. Hehehe
  15. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

posted wrong place...Deleted.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008