New OWB Holster for my 4" Redhawk

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by tex45acp, Nov 5, 2006.

1. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I have talked to quite a few custom holster makers about an OWB for my 4" Redhawk and none had a mold to work from. A couple have offered to try to make a holster for the 5.5" and then try to shorten it, but before I decided to commit to that, I was talking to a a buddy that carries a 4" S&W 29 in a DeSantis Belt Scabbard, which has a strap across the hammer, like I was looking for. My 4" Redhawk fit perfectly so I ordered one and DeSantis had one in stock. I also ordered one of their HKS speedloader pouches that straddles the belt instead of IWB or OWB carry. This holder works great and adds very little width which of course makes it a perfect carry option. This is my first DeSantis holster so I hope it will hold up in the field.

[​IMG]
  2. It certainly seems to look and fit well, tex, and DeSantis usually builds a well made leather holster for a decent price. For anyone who carries, a good holster is very nearly as important as the weapon itself, I've always believed. If the holster is not comfortable. there is too much of a human tendency to leave the weapon at home rather than put up with the discomfort of a poor holster. Of late I've had more of a tendency to "bite the bullet" on the expense and have my holsters made by custom makers, especially Kramer. I REALLY like Kramer's MSP (for Minnesota State Police) paddle design. It's the most comfortable style holster I've ever owned. I have them for Glock 33, Smith 637, and Sig P230.
  3. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Pistolenschutze,

I fully agree....I own a half dozen holsters from custom holster makers and they are well worth their cost and the time waiting for them arrive.

tex
  4. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I really like Desantis holsters. I use one for daily carry for my Glock 30
    and it is very comfortable.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Yo Tex how much did your Xd rig cost I am still trying to find a commercial one for mine
  6. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

southernshooter,

I think I paid about $85 for the holster and $50 for the double mag pouch, if memory serves me. Mine is the service grade holster. Gary makes a presentation grade that is substantially more and take more time to make as well.

tex
  7. BountyHunter

BountyHunter New Member

Anyone have any of old Tio Sam's leather?

I guess El Paso Saddlery is still in business. I've gotten some quality stuff from them in the past, even though Sam is gone now.
  8. southernshooter

Thanks for the info TEX
  9. shooter

shooter New Member

im gonna feel dumb asking but u dont know til u ask

what does OWB mean? and IWB also
  10. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

Hey don't worry, there are no stupid questions.

IWB stands for "inside the waistband" and
    OWB is for "outside the waistband".
  11. shooter

shooter New Member

oh damn..it was that simple lol
  12. southernshooter

Their is no such thing as stupid questions only stupid answeres:D