New owner of black powder pistol, couple of questions

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Spanky, May 9, 2007.

1. Spanky

Spanky New Member

The land of Sunshine, the best Citrus and the Most
    After loading the ball into the revolver what can I use cover the rounds to prevent crossfireing (Ithink thats what its called). Can I use something like crisco or petroleum jelly? The stuff the sold me at the gun shop is exspensive.
    Also, can you recomend a nipple wrench? I have alread ruined one and only got one nipple out. Also (sorry) I can't seem to find out what size nipples my gun uses. Pietta 44 remington

thanks

Spanky
  2. sierra308

sierra308 New Member

Crisco will work just fine.That's what I use in mine.Check your local black powder shop,or try Cain's Outdoors I believe they have a website.They should be able to tell you what size nipple and supply a good wrench.I used to put anti-sieze on the nipple threads to keep them from siezing up.
  3. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Spanky, Its called "chain firing" and you don't want that at all !!
    Personally I use Crisco. It works; its cheap and it seems to keep the fouling soft.

You're apparently experiencing frozen nipples. Swab the beejesus out of the cylinder bores and fill about halfway with Kroil or another good rust buster and leave stand in a warm spot for a day or two.

You might try the local Sears for some 1/4" drive square nut sockets but be careful about size as they're easy to round off. I've had some success making a nipple wrench out of heavy wall roll pins. Slot with a Dremmel tool.

When you finally get them out be sure to wipe some never-seize compound on the threads - it only takes a little bit. >MW
  4. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Spanky,

Just in case you were'nt aware......:eek:

Black powder attracts rust like Democrats to a free meal......:D

You gotta to clean em as soon as you get back to your cabin.

I used to put my stainless Ruger in the dishwasher....worked fer me....:D
  5. Spanky

Spanky New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I haven't been able to shoot this thing yet and I can hardly wait.
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

It's an old Eskimo problem too, but don't worry, AlGore and Global Warming will cure that...:cool:
    Last edited: May 12, 2007
  7. And no doubt good ol' Al will do it through his invention, the Internet. :D ;)
  8. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

An over-the-powder wad like WonderWad is good, too. No grease involved and no danger of chainfire. Not cheap, though.
  9. polishshooter

Actually, I lucked out at a gun auction years ago and in a box of miscellaneous crap I bought for a song there were 4 tubes of the CVA lubricant sealer specifically for cap n ball revolvers, and I still have a little more than two tubes left, so I use it exclusively, it's pretty convenient to squeeze it out of the nozzle into the chambers....

...even though it is WHITE and has about the consistancy of as well as the SMELL of Crisco....;)
  10. Spanky

Spanky New Member

Re: frozen nipples

Well I let frozen nipples soak in Navel jelly over night and in the hot sun for several hours and then proceeded to ruin another wrench.:(

I am taking it down to the local gun shop tomorrow to see what they will charge to remove the nipples. I've already spent $35 on wrenches and jelly. Just throwing good money after bad if I keep trying myself. Could have bought a new cylinder by the time I'm through.

Well at least I got to say frozen nipples and navel jelly in the same sentence:p
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Yeah, guys, I think this fellow is agunna fit in here jus' fine! :D:D:D

Pops
  12. polishshooter

Actually, letting the cylinder soak was a good idea, but I think you might have had better luck with a lighter penetrating oil rather than the naval jelly...it would seem to me naval jelly is meant to remove EXTERNAL rust, you need to get it into the threads....

And while you have to be carefull, a little heat might work too...you MIGHT be able to get enough just in the oven for a while, if you don't have a propane torch....
  13. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Naval Jelly is a dandy rust buster - if you own a ship.......
    What you need is a penetrating oil. They do their work by capillary action and chemistry. Kroil is the best I've used and is equally good for cleaning fouled barrels, but there's others that work, too. >MW
  14. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have a Pietta Remington and buggered up three nipple wrenches trying to free them up after they soaked in penetrating oil over night.

I finally took a Ruger New Army wrench and cut slots in it with a Dremel tool and they came right out.
  15. Spanky

Spanky New Member

Took her to the range

I finally got to shoot this thing and it was a lot of fun. :)
    The only problem is this junk I am using to keep it from chain firing melts like butter. What a mess.:( Next time I will use crisco and keep it on ice until I am ready to use it. Also it took some time to load the six shots so I built me one of them stands I've seen for sale to hold the gun while I load it. The other thing was that some of the shots seemed to fire with a lot more power than the others. Some of the caps didn't stay on the nipples as well as others, maybe that was the problem. Any suggestions? (I measured all the powder the same) Like I said though, it was a lot of fun and next time will be better.

Bye the way, just bought me a Nylon 66 22lr at a show, got to find somewhere on this forum to talk about it.:D :D

Spanky