1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New permit holder shopping for first gun!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tierra14, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Tierra14

Tierra14 New Member

Hey everyone! This is my first time posting and I'd appreciate your help! I just got my permit in NYS and I'm shopping for my first pistol! I need a little guidance. I'm a female with veryyyyy small hands so I can't handle anything big, at all. I've shot quite a few different pistols in my search and so far I like the .380. I believe it was a taurus. But then I went to a store and saw the Taurus 9mm 709 slim and it was pretty much PERFECT size for me, but I've never shot one. Any thoughts on the differences between the .380 and 9mm? I don't want to spend too much on my first because I plan on using it ALOT to target shoot to start learning the skill. I'll probably even buy a used one for now. I'm very new to this and have no idea what brands are good or anything like that so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Welcome aboard. The 9mm will have ammunition that is easier to find, for sure. It is also cheaper than the .380 ammo. As far as guns, that's like buying shoes....
  3. red14

red14 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Tierra!

Have you thought of a revolver? For a first time shooter, a semi-automatic can be difficult to clean (you have to take it apart and put it back together). If it jams, you have to unjam it. With small hands and lesser strengh it can be difficult.

There are a few ladies on here who can help you too. Just wait a little while, and suggestions will surely follow.
  4. lentz

lentz Former Guest

Within price range,easy to conceal,feels good in the hand,accurate,comfortable to carry,stopping power
  5. Tierra14

Tierra14 New Member

First off guys thanks for the fast response and welcomes! Im impressed!! And I have thought of a revolver, but I like shooting semi-automatic better. However I never took into consideration cleaning it, but I deffinitly will now, Thanks!
  6. 22dave

22dave New Member

As described by my handle, get a .22. It will be easier to learn to shoot. S & W has great .22 revolvers, very easy to clean & fun to shoot. Well worth the extra money over any other manufacturer. The cost of target ammo is 20% of the larger calibers.

If you bought for fun, that is the gun. If you need self-defense, you can easily shoot accurately with a gun you are comfortable with.

If you feel the need for something bigger, get another gun. Even if you have more than one, I guarantee you will mostly shoot the .22.
  7. guns4life

guns4life New Member

walther makes a pk 380 and a 9 mm especially designed with the female shooter in mind the tension on the spring is less than other manufacturers therefore requiring less hand strength to cycle the action and walther make a very good pistol that is very affordable please check them out before you buy thx GUNS4LIFE
  8. 11B-101ABN

11B-101ABN New Member

You are going to get a lot of suggestions...Try this: Join your local club and let it be known you would like to try several types. There are not many shooters that will not help a less experienced shooter. Take notes on what you like and dislike about each weapon you try and sooner or later you will find that perfect one for you. I recommend when you buy, the first one should be NEW because you may not recognize a problem in a used weapon right away and that develops bad habits. Also buy the best quality you can afford. Don't be in a hurry. The shopping is fun too.
  9. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

Welcome Now is the time to go slow and have fun go out and rent some at a shooting range see how you like it look at the 38s 9mm and 40s they all have good stopping power
    for me i love the beretta px4 storm sub compact 14 rounds 3" tub. I carry this one 24-7.
  10. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I recommend you look at a Bersa .380 pistol. It is a smaller and lighter gun than a 9mm and is a popular choice with beginners. A well made gun for a reasonable price.

tim, here in New York "renting a gun at a range" is not an option. Tierra14 would have to drive to Pennsylvania or Ohio to try out a gun .
  11. cobra

cobra New Member

/
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  12. cobra

cobra New Member

To start with I can recommand an international FN.22.
    If you want something heavier than a FN.22 you can pick a S&W 52 .38
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  13. Tierra14

Tierra14 New Member

You happen to be the second person to tell me that about NY, but there is a range in my county that you can, infact, rent their gins and use then im their range. Now I don't want to get anyone in trouble but is that against the law?
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

As others have said don't be in a hurry to decide. Ruger makes a small auto in 9MM called an SR-9 and the compact version is SR-9C. If you can find one to rent then try one out along with a Springfield XD9. Have fun trying a variety and while you are at it seek out additional training and instruction for whatever you try. Be sure it feels good and you are able to work the action and load the magazines and then decide what you shoot the best.
  15. gschnarr

gschnarr New Member

What to get and use is a very personal decision. My wife loves her Bersa Thunder 380. Ammo for it is hard to find but I reload for her. A good site for women is http://www.corneredcat.com/.It has a lot of good information for the woman shooter--men too. Good luck with your search.