New pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by kravi, Feb 3, 2005.

1. kravi

kravi New Member

I need some advice. Once again it is time to purchase a new pistol. I currently only own two, a Kimber Custom II (which is perfect, never jams, and eats garbage ammo without complaint), and a CZ85B (also a beautiful gun). But sadly the urge has come upon me to spend my hard earned money, but I can't figure out what to spend it on. Here are the four guns I'm looking at.

1. Sig Pro (2009 - 9mm)
    2. Sig 226
    3. Glock 17
    4. SA XD Service (9mm)

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, the caliber must be 9mm. The only other caliber I shoot is 45ACP, but if I'm shooting that I'm shooting a 1911. And since I'm building one (long term project) I don't wanna buy one.

--kravi

P.S. Whoops, needed an edit :)
  2. punchie

punchie Member

SIG 226. :)
  3. Bucky Bronco

Bucky Bronco New Member

Money being no object I agree with Punchi. However, I have a softspot for the XD since it first came in as the HS2000. I liked the concept and the Croatian workmanship/machining on those first models was superb! I thought it had great merit with the grip safety among things. It was a must buy in my neck of the woods and folks got a teal at $275!! I kept telling my buds that when it caught on the price would double! Soon as SA put there name on it--Bingo! I intend to get one in 45 GAP. I don't cotton to the Glock but that's me; I'm probably pretty lonely on that. I just like my purchase on the XD and the the way bore line sits low in my hand. My 2Cents! Also, consider the Sig 229. The Sig 226 is a real service size pistol--of course if that is your requirement then its a fine choice!! Won the US Army trials hands-down I believe.
  4. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I'll vote for the XD. Since I am not too good with Glocks, and the only SIG I like has a number over 230...(236 i believe, their compact model.) Every time I shoot with an XD however, the gun seems to know where I wanted the bullet to go. I cant say enough about them. The small differences between the Glocks and the XD make a huge difference for me. After all ; if it feels good to you, and you hit with it...... get it.
    I have shot both the short barrel and long barrel on the XD's. I love them both. The XD 9mm short barrel would be my second choice for a carry gun. (kimber compact being #1)
    Have you tried all of these guns yet?
    You mentioned some thick gripped guns, yet you are a 1911 fan....
    How about i mention the Springfield compact in 9mm. 1911 style, 3.5" barrel, and the thin grips I love ( actually they come with those hogue things normally, but easily replaced )

--Beagle
  5. kravi

kravi New Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Well, lemme answer some questions.

1. I have small hands, but I'm not a thief.
    2. 1911 always felt great to me. Everything about it matches up to my needs and I love the slim grips.
    3. The CZ 85 is always brilliant. Also great for small handed shooters.
    4. The glock fits fine, my hands are large enough to get good control, but it is the tip of my finger, not the joint, that grips the trigger (I like combat shooting with the joint doing the pulling. A little less accurate, maybe, but...).
    5. I've shot the Sigs and the Glock. I've held but not shot the XD. The Sig is a little big for me, but again, perfectly manageable.

--kravi

P.S. I love reliability and accuracy both, hence these three guns.
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I don't know anything about Sig, and I just dont like glocks in general(yeah, the whole tupperware issue, but we wont get that started again), so my choice is the SA. I was lookin' at one of those myself a while back(in .45 though). It'll probably be my next pistol after I get a Kimber.
  7. kravi

kravi New Member

Which is the SA? The SigArms? Or the Springfield Armoury XD?

--kravi
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Springfield. Sorry.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I'd stay away from any plastic gun if you wish to hand it down to your kids in the future.

I have two Sigs. both are great guns, perhaps the best defense guns I own for fit, finish, and accuracy. Their drawback is price, being made by a European company (CZ also European but from a communist country, Czech Republic , so priced a little lower). They are a bit nicer than Beretta's, any of the 1911 clones, S&W semi-autos, certainly than ANY Ruger semi-auto, or the other of the numerious imports. Perhaps a real Colt is finished nicer but probably doesn't shoot any better or even as well out of the box.

So Sig it is!!!

LDBennett