New Propane cilinders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kentuckyrifleman, Sep 24, 2012.

?

Home Barbecue-Gas, Charcoal, or nothing? What do you use?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2012.
  1. Gas barbecue

22 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Charcoal barbecue

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. I dont' barbecue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

If you open the tank valve too quickly, especially with a burner valve open, the new-fangled OPD valve innards think the Hindenburg's exploded and will choke the flow down. Close it, and open it s-l-o-w-l-y. Should be fine, without all that other messing about.

Gas for grilling. Hard wood for smoking.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I use both:
    Gas grill on the open back porch for grilling -
    Wood fired grill out in the yard for grilling/slow cooking/smoking.
    I prefer the taste of the wood fire - use only Hickory wood and bark
    The gas is quick and convenient, serviced by Strickland Propane -
    Taste the meat, not the heat - I'll tell you what!
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

KY, Just think, all this new government regulation came about because of single parent families, bicycle helmets, and all the other crap that meant stupid kids that normally would not have survived ordinary childhood , BECAUSE they never had Dad's around that taught them early in life that OXYGEN and other inert gases have RIGHT HANDED threads and any GAS, acetylene, propane, WHATEVER had LEFT HANDED threads....so you could tell them apart and NOT blow yourself up...:cool:

I once had 5 extra tanks to back up my grill and torch, then after adaptors for $10 each, at first, which THEN were outlawed, then the complete conversion, I am down to only ONE extra tank....and am forever bitching when I run out in the middle of a steak about the stupid people that couldn't figure out LEFT HAND THREADS....:mad::mad:

About all I have gained in all this besides junking all my old tanks is I can now change tanks without channellocks...;)
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. kentuckyrifleman

kentuckyrifleman Member

Polish after seeing all your posts about your good cooking, meals I figured youd' be at least a charcoal guy or even a wood griller:):D:cool:!

Your rite about haveing a dad in the house to teach you things and even kick your ass when needed!!
  5. kentuckyrifleman

kentuckyrifleman Member

Oh hey Polish did you vote for gas or charcoal?

Sounds like you have a good job where you get a lot of hours so i guess you use gas cause of the convenence of it?
  6. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Go to a hardware store and get a plastic plug that you simply screw into the cylinder and it releaves the pressure and will start the gas flowing. Not sure but I think it is called a reset vlave or plug.

Neverhome
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

KY, years ago I was a charcoal guy and so was my now ex-bro-in-law and our Mother-in-law asked why we don't use gas, probably because my doofus ex-bro-in-law was drunk and wouldn't listen to me how to start the coals and was taking too long getting heat...;):D

I made the comment I wouldn't use a gas grill even if somebody GAVE me one...:cool:

Next Christmas, Santa (or my MIL?) got us BOTH gas grills...

You know, you season those lava rocks or whatever they are called with ENOUGH steak grease the food on them tastes really good too...:p

Plus when both my wife and I worked, it was easy to get home and throw the steaks on the grill in 5 minutes instead of working with the charcoal...

And we use the grill year round, I burn out a grill in two years, doesn't matter if it's a $100 elcheapo or a $400 GrillMaster, two years max before it rusts or burns out...and at 5 degrees or so, it's a HELLUVA lot easier to run out and fire it up and run back in to the warmth than to stay out there trying to get the coals brewing...;)

(I swear to heaven my NEXT one will be a Weber...and if THAT craps out in two years, I will buy nothing but the cheap ones and replace it every year...;))

But I have my sons old two level smoker on my porch with enough hickory and cherry saved out of my wood over the years...;)

Venison ribs slow smoked and rubbed after being brined for a couple of days in some goofy brine mixture that includes "your leftover coffee from this morning" tastes REALLY good....:D:D:D
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  8. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I have a Brinkman gas grill thats a bout 8 years old and works great. I also smoke on this grill. I have a stainless box that I put my wood in and it fits under the grates on top of the heat transfer plates. I get the grill up to about 550 to 600 degrees put the meat on and shut off two of the burners. Keep a close eye on the temp guage and tweak the gas knob until I get it holding steady at around 230 to 235 degrees. Leave the lid closed and it smokes just like my smoker that I rarely use unless I have a lot I want to do at one time. With the grill I can do 2 pork shoulders or 3 briskits or about 8 slabs of ribs standing on the edge.