new (?) question on the lil ol M1 Carbine...

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 4:03:34 am)
    new(?) question on the lil ol M1 Carbine...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ive been purusing websites lately,looking for receivers for projects.. and i happened acrossed one website that said that the .30 carbine at 100 yards still retained more energy than the .357mag has at the muzzle.. there any truth to that???ill try and find the website and transfer the numbers.. but something about 649ftlbs@100yards for the .30 carbine... any truth in that statement??
    and me second question... any of you ever try JSP or JHP ammo in alil M1 Carbine?? would that help out the puny lil .30carbine and possibly make it a better all around tool?? STILL REALIZING THAT ITS A PISTOL ROUND AND NOT A REAL RIFLE LIKE THE .30-06.. thought id throw that in there before someone beat me to it..lol
    ahh lets see where this one ends up, Ray eager for learnin in California
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 5:24:16 pm)
    Reply Re: new(?) question on the lil ol M1 Carbine...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hmmmm.....well, I just looked it up. This is at the muzzle:

30M1 110 Ball MV 1975 ME 955 (Military Load)

.357 125 JHP MV 1450 ME 583 (Factory Load)

Given those figures at the muzzle, could well be that the 30M1 has greater muzzle energy at 100 yds. than the .357 at the muzzle.

I've never used SP or HP ammo in a Carbine, but no doubt it would help. I still wouldn't use it on deer though.

Hey Ray....do they allow you to have REAL guns in the PRK?

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 9:51:33 pm)
    We discussed it a little a while back, but I remember when Ruger brought out the Blackhawk in .30 carb back in like the early seventies and it was talked up as the "hottest" handgun round for deer for awhile. Definitely hotter than the .357 even from the 7 1/2" barrel if I remember right. Somebody mentioned why it kind of flopped and never caught on, though.

However I DO know some people who swore that the carbine was a good 100 yd gun for deer...even one guy in PA that tapped the ports somehow and plugged them to make it into a kind of "straight pull." (They can't use semis)

A little light for me I'd think, but then again so is the .30-30 on paper not much farther than that...

The .30 carb IS a pretty hot PISTOL round...no matter what anybody thinks. It really only "fails" when people forget that and try to think of it as a "little" .30-06.

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 9:57:37 pm)
    I still want a blackhawk in .30 M1. My uncle had one in the 70's...it was a blast. Accurate and fun too. Just got to find one when I'm flush.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 10:10:27 pm)
    All is well, but if you want some real fun, try the 22 Spitfire.

M1 carbine .30 cal.....tapered and necked down to a .22. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!! Uses standard magazines and all parts, different barrel ----OF COURSE!!!

LTS

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/7/03 12:01:27 am)
    LTS, is that those "5.7mm" barrels I see advertised for the carbine in Numrich ads in SGN?

I wondered what they were, they make it sound like it was a really popular conversion at one time or another, but I had never heard of them.

That .22 would really zip out of that case....wouldn't it even have a bigger case capacity than a .222 or .223?

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 8:10:53 pm)
    Re: new(?) question on the lil ol M1 Carbine...
    Xracer... what do ya call real guns?? lol but NO i cant have no real guns in the PRK... although ive been jonesin for a FAL,CETME, or G3 lately.... nope only thing that we can have in the PRK are Politically Korrect Krap, really makes things irritating... not yet in a position where i can get out though.. and im running out of the things i can have that i want in the PRK..AND, im getting things paid off.... just now a question of if ill be able to move when i can afford to... finally got the wife health insurance due to the fact that she is "highrisk", and its for california residents only.. have to check into what my options are as far as that goes. i may be STUCK here for awhile yet... if it aint one thing, its another... Ray in California
    thanks yet again guys for your knowledge and input.. helps me out greatly!! im still going to buy alil carbine.. i gotsa have one.. but i havent done it yet.. trying to learn all my options with one before hand..
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 8:41:02 pm)
    Hold on til 06 when Arnold wins Governor...

You have our sympathy....and on top of it all I read your present butthole Governor is raising your Sales tax again...needs to raise like 8 billion in revenue to cover the state deficit and "that's the only way he knows how" (how about cutting SPENDING Dufus Davis!)....now it's going to be 8.75%...heck, you guys are making New York look like a cheap place to live!

The Liberal Sumbitch just can't figure it out, can he? I mean ANY 12 year old with a Sim City game knows the easiest way to drive people out and LOSE revenue is to raise taxes, and the easiest way to get people and businesses to move IN and RAISE revenue is to LOWER taxes....

Maybe you should buy him a PSII and the game and he would figure it out...

...or else just invite him to go shooting with you....

....as a target stand.