The Firearms Forum banner

New questions regarding reloading

2K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  langenc 
#1 ·
TFF mods/admins please stick or delete as you see fit..

I cant help but notice that the majority of the new questions being posted are easily answered in the first few pages of most reloading manuals.

Are we NOT reading our manuals guys?

That is a very basic and essential step that should be taken by every reloader both for safety and general understanding.

I do not intend to offend anyone, Just wanted to point this out.

Be safe.

Reactions: BobMcG and gdmoody
#2 ·
I can tell you from my experience that I read all my manuals, but new is new. There is so much data, so many videos that the data to be absorbed is a lot. It's not like college in that retention of 30% gets you a great paying job. If 30% retention in reloading occurs, you may have some serious issues. Then the conflicting issues of the manuals until you figure out it's not all 100% rocket science and there is a certain amount of slop that is allowed in "CERTAIN" areas. But until you learn the nuances, you are verifying thru the forum or have hit a new route (to me) that isn't in the manuals so you ask so you don't blow off a needed body part. Things like why is my bullet seating depth varying, why does, etc, etc. Until you learn why, you don't know. For me, I have re-read them to find out some of the things have become more clearer with experience. But I am still new to most of you senior reloaders so until I acquire more experience, I am still a newbee. Hope you all don't mind the occasional question that should be as obvious as a new boat in the driveway. But that is why you get the big bucks!
-
Appreciate the great answers you guys offer. Makes a big difference in some clouded terrain.

#3 ·
Been wondering myself for a long time now as to just how many folks are really reading the basics in the manuals before diving into loading. It's true that there are some questions that don't fall into this area but a whole lot do.

I'm glad there are a bunch of experienced loaders here to tackle all the questions as I (and probably some others) have no wish to assume the role of tutor or teacher in this matter. I also hope you're work is appreciated by those who benefit from it. (I'm pretty sure it is but, I'm saying it better be by golly! ;) :))

Reactions: dbcooper
#4 ·
Not at all Drymag. I warrant honest need help questions. I just cant help but notice many of these question being posted are obviously have not read the manual questions.

Reactions: ozo
#5 ·
Josh, my guess is that many don't even know there is an instructional section in the manuals.

It would help if on the cover of the manual is said something to the effect of "Included How-To Section" or some flag that says "start here" to direct the inexperienced.

#6 ·
Like any book, no one would begin reading at 'chapter three' and skip the beginning.

But folks today don't read like the folks of yesterday. Reading is 'boring' and it takes
a lot of time and effort.

It's too easy to depend on youTube.........then on forums. Plus, it's the only way
to rack up posts......and be part of everything. Alone, with a book......not glamorous.

Same thing happens daily in threads on forums........it takes too much time and
effort to read the preceding 5-10-15 pages after you read the OP.......but you are
chomping at the bit to reply.

#7 ·
Whats a reloading manual? I just dump in some powder, hammer in a primer and push the boolet in. Am I doing something wrong?

Seriously though. JLA is on point. Frankly I notice it all over. I belong to a appliance tech repair forum too. And I see guys asking the stupidest questions. And this is not a open forum, but for techs only. That have to pay to join. And they are asking questions that would take 30 seconds to figure out on their own with a meter. People are so damned lazy lately

#8 · (Edited)
Reloading manuals aren't a read-it-once-cover-to-cover books. They are reference manuals, not only for the load data, but the "How To" section should be reviewed occasionally. If you read enough posts from new reloaders you will also notice many don't read stickies either, and many seem to be a part of the "I want all information instantly" era, and won't research (or google) anything...

I don't expect anyone to become a good reloader after reading one or two manuals or texts, 'cause reloading, although easy can be very involved. All situations won't be remembered/retained after reading a manual, but most will if when encountering a problem one researches the available manuals/texts. But, it's much easier (and faster) to just ask a question on a forum...

#9 ·
Some of the questions are appalling, but we all know that few people today read anything at all. Such people should not have a hobby so fraught with danger, but the long dead Mr Darwin described a natural cure for that long ago. It hasn't changed, the Universe remains unforgiving of stupid errors, and those who persist in being stupid lose their turn to contribute to the gene pool. I see nothing wrong with that system.

I'm certainly not an expert in reloading, but I do read my manuals, over and over again, and I'm happy to share what I learn, even if the question is a dumb one. A lot of mine were in the beginning, and probably will be again. I'm with drymag and Bob, though, and mighty glad I have a pool of very knowledgeable experts who will take the time to answer my dumb questions. In the meantime, I am happy to help others in learning; I think of it as a duty, but not a chore. If they learn, I'm delighted. If the same person keeps asking the same thing over and over, I'll sit back and let Nature take its course.;)

I'm surprised each time I read my manuals, by the way, to find that I discover something else I failed to catch on a previous reading. It doesn't happen often now, but it still happens once in a while. Some little one sentence note that I failed to see before... I suspect you're preaching to the choir, Josh, as everyone here does read, and those who need to read this message probably won't. They're busy starting a new thread, "Need a load for ..." blah blah blah. For them, we can help to educate, but we can't control their fate. Maybe we should recommend to them that they start with Kilz primer, Grandpa's nitroglycerine pills for propellant, #2 pencil erasers for bullets...

I'm happily surprised at the patience of the Forum's members; most try honestly to help while gently suggesting more research. I belong to a forum for programmers and computer experts, and those clowns are positively brutal to beginners in comparison. Good job, everyone. I'm proud to be among you. When I grow up, I want to be just like you old guys who know so much more than I, and who've taught me so much!:D

#10 ·
after this thread, I decided to read my loading manuals all over again from cover to cover.
Some of them date back to the time of the Dead Sea Scrolls and were printed on animal skins

I found out some good info, found out who killed Kennedy and learved that a seater plug has nothing to do with a bowel movment:eek:

#13 ·
after this thread, I decided to read my loading manuals all over again from cover to cover.
Some of them date back to the time of the Dead Sea Scrolls and were printed on animal skins

I found out some good info, found out who killed Kennedy and learved that a seater plug has nothing to do with a bowel movment:eek:
Yea coop, most of those early dead sea scroll manuals, mostly covered attaching arrow heads to shafts, putting fletching on, painting proper tribal markings on arrows, and the max number of arrows you can have in your quiver at one time. Chapter 2 covered spear and shield making. My chapter 3 through 10 has turned to dust.;)

#11 ·
Seriously, I understand what JLA is getting at. New folks figure it takes less time to register to a few gun forums and post your question there instead of reading the manuals. Anything that wasn't covered in the quick set up instructions is fair game I guess

myself,, I enjoy siting down with a cup of coffee and enjoying searching the manuals for information.

#12 ·
I can't disagree with any thing that has been written so far in this thread. I've got to be honest though, when I first learned reloading, I did not read any manuals, except for the load data. I did have an older gentleman that I worked with who got me started and who basically taught me every thing I thought I needed to know. Back when I started, there was no such thing as the "internet" to get instant information.

I am somewhat ashamed to say that the very first manual that I ever read was the Lyman #49 that I bought the year before last. Boy did I learn stuff that I did not know. Then I read the first third of the Hornady manual and learned a little more stuff and then the Speer manual!! I had no idea that there was so much information in those books. WOW, all those wasted years of missing that important info.

Now, one of the very first things I say to new reloaders is to "get yourself at least two good manuals, and READ them." I have to say that I have learned a world of things by reading this forum. There are things that are just not in manuals that the folks here have shared with all of us.

#14 ·
All of my manuals in the front matter say to never de-prime a case with a live primer, but a recent thread here showed that many experienced reloaders do it all of the time. The day before I would have scoffed at anyone suggesting that a live primer can be poked out and reused.

Lyman says a ram prime system is best. Lee says pistol brass never needs trimmed. I've never used a ram prime and recently used a Lee case trimmer on 357 brass that was over the maximum length.

These are probably not the basic beginner questions that you had in mind, but the beginner with only one reloading manual is the only beginner that has no doubts about how to proceed. Those with two or more reloading manuals are lost in a few aspects and could use some gentle help. If the question is beneath you then don't answer it.

#15 ·
True statement, SteveM! As the saying goes, " a man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two is never sure." Me, I don't carry a watch... But I do have a collection of reloading books, all read thoroughly, and I still ask questions here. I suspect that the irritation some feel is with some newbies who just won't read. I, personally, haven't seen many of those, but I know they exist. Most of the newbies I've seen here take the good advice they get, check out the sticky posts, and grab a couple of books. Within a few months, they're back as valuable contributors. I have noted a few, though, who asked, got good answers along with the usual advice to buy a book or two, then were never seen again. They're probably over at some other forums, asking the same questions again...:)

#22 ·
I'm still new to reloading about a year and a half now, but I shake my head when I read some questions on here and other forums.
That being said I still read the answers to glean any info I can learn. Having a forum like this is like having a mentor looking over my shoulder when I have doubts. Even after reading the books and following all instructions pulling the trigger on a new load is a little scary.
I plan on starting on some 357 loads REALLY didn't need to see that picture dbcooper :eek:

#23 ·
Back in the mid 70's, when I first started reloading, my mentor said, "Buy a Hornady Reloading Manual, read it, then come back to see me". That was good advice over three decades ago, and still is today. He said that lazy people are the ones that get into trouble with reloading. They are too lazy to do the work that enables them to be safe. Down thru the years, I've seen some pretty good/bad mistakes, but I've never heard of anyone killing themselves with a reloading mistake. I've heard of cuts, bruises, and a broken bone, or two, and one eye that got put out, but no deaths, and no lost hands. Back when I started there was no internet, information was had from a book, or someone who (might, or might not) already knew! The public library, and gun magazines, were our information banks, so we read what the experts had to say. And you didn't usually get to ask them for their advice! I don't mind answering a newbie's questions, so long as they are genuine questions about something he/she doesn't understand. I've said before here on this forum that there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. But the truth is that sometimes there are stupid questions!

#24 ·
Back in the mid 70's, when I first started reloading, my mentor said, "Buy a Hornady Reloading Manual, read it, then come back to see me". That was good advice over three decades ago, and still is today. He said that lazy people are the ones that get into trouble with reloading.
LOL Thats pretty much sums up how my first experience went down. My mentor (my father in law) told me to go buy the latest Lymans and the ABC's of reloading. And after I'd read them twice, come see him and he'd put the reading to practical application.

#25 · (Edited)
The most important part of reloading that seems not so common, is common sense. Do you think that a reloading manual would actually condone depriming a live primer? Some idjit could read it's ok and then proceed to try and slam the live primer out of the case, popping the primer, getting debris in his eyes because he was standing right over his press watching the whole process, and sue the manual's publisher, editor, and everybody else connected with the manual. Common sense would tell anyone that after measuring 5,642 cases, with none showing any growth in length, that mebbe, straight sided cases don't need to be trimmed (unless you manufacture and sell case trimmers), and with experience with those 5,642 case also show no problems with crimp.

My experience, and common sense tells me a ram prime is the best (IMO) because I have not had a misfire due to improperly seated primers in those 5,642 cases. I have tried a bunch of primer seating tools and found the ram prime to be the most consistent, easiest to use, and no manual has said I should/shouldn't use it.

Common sense tells me that every reloading manual is written/compiled by different authors and data is arrived at by different test techs, and test equipment/methods. Doubtful that any would be precisely alike and some differ because of ulterior motives. Reloading manuals are basically suggested information by the author, and reloading data from the particular test components in the specific test equipment on a specific day.

Having said all that, there is no reason to try to learn to reload without a couple published manuals...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.