new referegerent in 2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

my old 4runner still eats R22 but going to convert it to 134 when I rebuild it; never had any problems with either one, just evacuated and recharged my tacoma and it was clean as a whistle inside the system. This new stuff looks retarded; what happens if you wreck, you get the equivalent of a nerve agent released onto you? cripes....

134 is pretty expensive now too, it's hitting $10 can most places now. The oil isn't too bad though and you only need a tiny bit. Most of the cans already have oil in them though anyway if you DIY.

and call me crazy, but the last thing I would be worrying about is cow farts (unless I was really close to one at the moment). Amazing...
  2. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

so they want to wrap us all up in a container of this new chemical that can be easily transformed into a deadly gas?

anyone heard about the old r12 and how it is actually safer than r134a for the atmosphere or was that just a lie?

what gets really interesting to people in my career is the fact that new cars have a very small amount of refrigerant. cars used to have 3 or more pounds where as now they are 10 or so ounces. factor in that they also have a small amount of oil. now, get a small leak and you loose 4 ounces. next thing you know you need to spend $1500 to replace the compressor, condenser, lines, and drier.

what's next? will you get a fine from EPA for releasing dangerous elements during an automobile collision? I guess we all better just bow down to communism and take public transportation. is there a bus heading to next year's TFF bbq?
  3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Not trying to be picky or bait you, but no auto I ever heard of used R-22. You surely mean R-12. R-12 was replaced by R-134A and hasn't been produced for at least 10 yrs. You can still purchase existing stocks but at super premium prices. I bought a 30 lb. drum of R-12 about 12 yrs. ago for over $300.00. I have some friends who believe in keeping their classic cars all original. R-22 used in residential cooling is also being phased out and will soon no longer be produced, but existing stock will most likely be available for years to come. It's replacement operates at much higher pressures which in my mind means more leaks and would necessitate my buying new gauges, which is why I opted for the R-22 unit for my home. I'm trying real hard to stay retired.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, R12, sorry. I've only messed with 134 (R-134a to be exact?), haven't opened up my 4runner's system yet, it's dead. I have my old AC compressor off my tacoma to rebuild and it will be going on that motor until I can afford a diesel swap for her.

I knew nothing about AC systems until a couple years ago when I went to service mine, still don't know that much about 'em but enough to get them working properly (on Toyotas anyway)
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I had good luck with the 134a retrofit. Easy to do. Changed seals, I flushed it out, changed the orafice tube, dried it out, oiled it up, charged it up and been working fine in my 86 MC.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

techchoiceparts.com has fantastic prices, I got my new compressor unit there plus full set of new O-rings and a new dryer for $207 delivered. Good quality and full of oil, ready to go! The dryer I would get OEM, the one they supplied is made in china but the compressor is beautiful.

I did not do the expansion valve (it's a huge PITA to get to on the 3.4's) as my system was still blowing ice cold, just the magnetic clutch was activating occasionally on it's own. I just pulled the wire to disable it until I got around to fixing it.

the more I do on my vehicles, the easier everything seems to actually turn out; AC is pretty easy. 5 years ago I could do not much more than change oil, now I'm supercharged, rebuilding, engine tuning, heavy modifications like solid axle swaps, engine swaps, etc. I do my own timing belts now too after a shop nearly deadlined my engine by re-using a non-reusable bolt on the crankshaft pulley. It's another addiction that thins my wallet out way too quickly!

First time I did AC I had a shop do the evacuation/recharge I did all the mechanical work; for the labor and cost of refrigerant and 'shop materials' I could have easily bought my own machine for the same price. So harbor freight or summitracing.com will get my money next time and I will be set up on my own.

anyone ever needs any Toyota 4x4 vehicle info, hit me up!
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's how I started working on cars. When I was young if it broke I walked. Didn't much care for walking so I learned how to fix it.