New Reloader with question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by midlifevette, Jan 2, 2011.

1. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

I want to reload .32 S-W rounds. I see brass for .32 Win. If this is a stupid question, forgive me, but can I use .32 Win brass to reload my .32 S-W rounds. Thanks for your help. Ken
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the .32 smith and wesson is a short rimmed revolver cartridge (imagine a shortened .32 H&R mag or .327 federal mag) the .32 winchester special is a bottleneck lever action rifle cartridge (imagine a .32 caliber .30-30 cartridge)... they are not interchangeable
  3. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

Thank you for the information. I really enjoy reading this forum. Ken
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

this is a good question for woolleyworm, he reloads the .32 H&R and the .327 mag for his sp101, I do believe the .32S&W is just a shorter version fo the .32H&R, he will be able to confirm. Shoot him a PM, if he confirms, then you could just trim the H&Rs down to S&W length...
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

32SW, 32SW Long, 32HR and 327FM brass are all the same diameter and wall thickness. The 32SW was the parent case, then the rest followed. You can trim the 32HR down to either SW case, I would rather buy the correct brass and have the headstamps correct. I will look at my 32 brass and see what 32SW I can gather. I don't shoot much 32SW, it's mostly 32HR and 327 that I put through the SP101, my daughter puts ALOT of 32SW-Long through it :D.

MLV - can you send a link to what you were looking at? I will post up some links to some sources to buy 32SW brass tonight. Hopefully I can find some in stock.
  6. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

Thanks for the help. Another .32 question. I find some .32 S-W brass and some .32 H-R brass, but only one .32 cal bullet. Am I to assume that I can load .32 S-W, .32 S-W long and .32 H-R mag with the .32 cal bullets? In other words, is there a different .32 cal bullet for each of these different .32 shells? My wife has a SP 101 .327 fed mag and I want to reload rounds for her. Thanks so much for your help. Ken
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you should be able to use the same projectile for any of those cartridges, thay are all the same bullet diameter, the longer cases just allow more powder and thus yield higher velocities...
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Lead bullets for 32 revolver rounds are usually .311 or .313 in diameter. Most seem to like the .313. You might have to try both and see which YOUR gun likes best. If you have more than one 32, for example a 30s vintage S&W 32 Long Hand Ejector, to go with that Ruger 327 Federal, then possibly those two guns would not like the same diameter bullet.

But if you are only loading for one gun, and want to load all four of the 32 S&W family, then you can stick to whichever bullet diameter works best for you. As to weight, most loading data for the 32 Long uses a 85 - 90 grain bullet. The 32 S&W (the original, shortest one) uses a lighter bullet - seems like it's 75 grains. The bigger, hotter rounds can use heavier bullets, but most data seems to use light bullets, so they can go faster.

Me, I load 32 S&W Long with 115 grain RNF 32/20 bullets. Does a wonderful job in all seven of the guns I shoot 'em in (three pre-war S&W 32 long HEs, two S&W titanium 32 H&R mags and two Ruger Single Six 32 H&R mag). These bullets are sometimes hard to find. Most bullets I've seen, for the 32 Long/H&R is either an 88 grain WC, a 90 grain SWC, or 90 or 100 grain jacketed hollow points.
  9. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    You are forgiven - just kidding, Ken. ;)

In fact questions like yours are probably one of the most commonly asked by inexperienced reloaders-to-be. As we have suggested to others, a copy of Cartridges of the World will explain a myriad of questions about dimension and nomenclature of most of the cartridges in existance today.
  10. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

I don't remember where I saw the brass for sale, but I'll keep looking. I really appreciate the help I'm getting here. There's so much information available. I've ordered the Lyman 49th Edition of the Reloading Manual and a copy of the ABC's of Reloading. Looking forward to learning a lot more. Thanks again for all the help. Midlifevette (Ken)
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I don't prefer to shoot the 32SW from the SP101 in 327. I find that the 32HR loads are best when looking for reduced recoil and target shooting. The 32 shorts sit so far back in the cylinder, that I don't enjoy cleaning them before shooting the longer cases. If you shoot a bunch of shorts or even 32Longs, you'll have a problem with chambering the longer rounds. Nothing major, just some elbow grease to clean the cylinder.

Bullets are also easier to find for the 32HR too. I use a .313 98gr LFN Magtech from Midway and love the Dardas CastBullets .32 BBWC 100GR .313.

Dardas - http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm...&Product_Code=3298WCBB1000&Category_Code=32WC
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I second the dardas boolits, Matt makes some top notch projectiles...