new reloader

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rpt_thomas, Jan 2, 2011.

1. rpt_thomas

rpt_thomas New Member

I am about to purchace my first reloading equipment and i am looking at a lee breechlock single stage any suggestions thanks
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF ! There are some very helpful threads at the top of this section and several other "new reloader" threads that I'm sure you'll find helpful also. Here's a link to one of them :

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=84661

What are you planning on loading for? gun, purpose and frequency please
  3. rpt_thomas

rpt_thomas New Member

i am going to start loading for my .280 and prob 22-250 mainly for hunting
  4. woolleyworm

Nice !! Both great calibers. The Lee O-frame presses are ok; you can pick up a Challenger from flEa Bay for less than $45 shipped. I just found one for my co-worked that came with 3 breechlock adapters and the press was barely used; bought in early 2010. Paid $42 shipped for everything.

I think you'd be better suited to go with a heavier press when it comes to sizing operations though. The Lee press will put out good ammo too, but it's sure alot easier to manipulate a press with some great leverage, like a RockChucker or Lyman press. Lee presses lag in the leverage dept, yes, they are adequate though. I have some nagging tendonitous and the less repetions and force I need to use, the better.
    If you're going to do higher volume pistol load in the future, progressive presses do require a slight bit more force, but the trade off with many fewer repetitions is well worth it IMO.

( and NO, I'd don't wish to start a whole other thread about bashing Lee...... to all ya Lee Lovers, it's nothing personal, just my opinion. My co-worker has started out loading with my Chucker, he's only loading CAS loads, mostly 45LC. The Challenger is great for what he needs, but even he will tell ya, there's a huge difference in the materials and the feel of the two presses..... and yes, price )
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  5. mikld

mikld Active Member

Standard answer is get The ABCs of Reloading, Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook, and Lee's Modern Reloading. Read them and you'll get a good idea what type of equipment suits your reloading needs. Your choice of a Lee Breechlock is a good beginning...
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I just started myself about 6 months back.

Glad I bought the Ultramag Press.

Wish I would have bought an elec scale as my powder measure is inaccurate and I weigh every one on beam scale.

My fingers & thumbs are worn from deburring, should have went with that elec station.

Really look at dies before purchasing, go simple. My friends told me to go RCBS, of course I bought better dies that more advanced reloaders use and then I screwed brass & dies up trying to get them adjusted just right. My dumbness but my experience.

Don't use that red rouge walnut media when cleaning up brass, that dust gets inside brass, coats expander ball, screws things up.

Get a couple books, dvds, and keep notes. Get a friend to get you started and reload with them for a while.

Some but not all guns shoot all that much better with different loads. Many guns will never be sub MOA. I then go with max load I have tried. I could be wrong on this, but my experience.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I just started myself about 6 months back.

Glad I bought the Ultramag Press.

Wish I would have bought an elec scale as my powder measure is inaccurate and I weigh every one on beam scale.

My fingers & thumbs are worn from deburring, should have went with that elec station.

Really look at dies before purchasing, go simple. My friends told me to go RCBS, of course I bought better dies that more advanced reloaders use and then I screwed brass & dies up trying to get them adjusted just right. My dumbness but my experience.

Don't use that red rouge walnut media when cleaning up brass, that dust gets inside brass, coats expander ball, screws things up.

Get a couple books, dvds, and keep notes. Get a friend to get you started and reload with them for a while.

Some but not all guns shoot all that much better with different loads. Many guns will never be sub MOA. I then go with max load I have tried. I could be wrong on this, but my experience.
  8. MoreGuns

MoreGuns New Member

rpt_thomas,

What part of the country do you live in? It's always easier to have someone show you as opposed to just reading or watching a video.

In terms of equipment, I orginally (over 25 years ago) started with an RCBS rock chucker press like thousands before and since. Hard to go wrong with it.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would wager that the RCBS rockchucker kit, costing a shade under 3 bills, is probably the best all around value to the beginning reloader. The press will last a lifetime, and the other components in the package are top notch. Couple this with good dies and youre in business. I prefer LEE dies, so my recommendation is there.
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I think it all depends i bought the lee 50th anniv starter kit. i am happy with it however i do think i will end up upgrading the press.
  11. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i actually would love to buy an old one at a gun show and talk freebore into reconditioning one for me.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I still want freebores lieb 2 stage...
  13. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

Are RCBS and Lee dies and presses interchangeable? Ken
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

most current manufacterer dies are 7/8X14 threaded and most current manufacterer presses are 7/8X14 threaded. meaning you can use dies from any manufacterer in any press. Lyman made a small die press years ago that used dinky little dies, so watch out there, and if you reload for ginormous loudenboomers like the .50BMG or the .700 NE, the dies are 1 1/2X12 and you have to have a special ginormous press with the 1 1/2X12 threaded hole...
  15. woolleyworm

Or a standard Rockchucker, which can do both 7/8 and 1-1/2 dies, since it utitlizes a 7/8 bushing. ;) The older chuckers don't have the throat opening to handle some of the longer cartridges, but the latest version of the RC can. 50BMG I'm not sure about on the RC though.