1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New rifle at the range today

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Mar 9, 2010.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

A friend brought his new never fired before Winchester Wildcat Target .22LR to the range today. It is topped by an equally new BSA Sweet 22 3x9 scope. Surprising everyone it took less than six round to get a 50yd zero. He was firing Winchester SuperX 40gr. high velocity ammo. We were shooting at a standard 50' pistol target placed at the 50yd line and the rifle consistently kept all rounds in the 10 ring with better than half in the X ring.

This the Russian made rifle Winchester is marketing. All five of us took a turn and no one had any problems or complaints. The workmanship seems right in line for a $299.00 rifle. Looks good shoots great and functioned flawlessly.

The scope is a discontinued model purchased for $49.00 and no one had a complaint with it either.

Consensus was that this is a good little rifle and scope combo and the only negative expressed was that it is Russian made.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

looks nice never saw a shooting rest like that nice
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

That rest is a MCM all plastic and around $50.00. So far it is working out fine.
  4. red14

red14 Active Member

Great range reports Todd. You take good pictures too. It's a pleasure having you here on the forum.
  5. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've been thinking about one of those rifles also.nice to hear good reports on it.How did the trigger feel?
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Ah yes, nothing like that combination of new gun smell and its first target. I've heard from others that was a nice shooting little gun and you just confirmed it.
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I like the look of it; no frills, just a nice accurate rifle.
  8. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Nice find. Is it a quality scope as scopes go?
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Quality? Don't know how to answer that one. Is it like Leopold, a Niko, a Burris? No. But this scope was purchased new for less than $50. Does it seem better than the Tasco I have? Yes but that is not a knock on the Tasco. There were three rifles all rimfires there that day and they all had different BSA scopes and no one had a negative thing to say about any of them. I guess I would have to say yes it is a quality $50.00 scope. Would I buy another one? Most definitely yes if my need could be satisfied in that price range.
  10. errolc

errolc New Member

Hi Todd, what would you rate it against...how would it compare to a CZ452 (seems to be the standard which 22LR's are measured)
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

errolc,
    I don't own either of those rifles so my opinion is only from observation of those owned by friends. The Wildcat is not in the same league as the CZ. I think the CZ is a much better rifle but it cost a couple hundred more. The Wildcat is more in the Savage field and that is not a bad place to be. To my eye it is better looking than the Savages but so far it is very competitive accuracy wise with the Savage. In the $300.00 braket I think it deserves real consideration.

Has nothing to do with the quality of the firearm but have this hang up with foreign made guns mascarading under old US lables. But I am going to have to get over it as it is so common now a days. Still gripes me that my Dodge and Mercury were made in Canada. But I am an old fart.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's a nice rifle and a nice set up!
    And the BSA scopes, I have two of them.
    One is a straight 3x9 and the other is a 4-16x40mm, and I havent had a problem with eaither of them. The bigger one I have mounted on a 7mm Mag and it's been on there for years and it's still as accurate as the day I sighted it in.
    The 3-9x40mm I had on my Ruger 77/22 before putting a 3-9x32mm Center Point on it (illuminated recticle) and that scope was $54 and also it an AWESOME .22 scope!
    I also bought a Center Point 4-16x40mm with illuminated rectical for the same price as a Bushnell, sept the CP came with rings and flip open scope covers.

But that it a nice looking gun there...have to check one of those out after your post.
  13. big steve

big steve New Member

i like the look of that rifle
  14. big steve

big steve New Member

and yah that is a really cool shooting rest
  15. big steve

big steve New Member

What kind of scope is on that I like the looks of that??