New rifle to the range yesterday....

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by nolacajun, Feb 27, 2008.

1. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

Managed to get out to the range yesterday with the new to me, Remington 582 bolt action. Found a strange scope in the safe, its a 4x20 el cheap that I picked up somewhere, bolted it on, grabbed a brick of ammo and headed out.

It is a dream to shoot. Full size stock (feels like a centerfire rifle stock) bolt action, tubular magazine. Thing that amazed me is the trigger on this rifle. It is as smooth and crisp as a couple of rifles that sport Timney's!!! Let off on it is about 2.5 lbs.

Anyway, after getting it sighted in at 50 yds, I tried shooting five shot groups with it. Unable to get it under 1" at 50 yds...but with the POS optics on top of it, a 25 mph cross wind, and shooting Remington Golden bullets, I was happy with it. New glass is mandatory, however.

Got it about 4 months ago, and it is going to be totally re-worked. There is a fair sized area on the barrel where the blue has been worn off, and the stock needs some dings and dents steamed out....so I'm going to refinish it also. The wood looks to be walnut, not birch, with a faint hint of graining in a couple of areas, but it is fairly light in color. It will be stained a dark walnut, and after getting the metal prepped, it's going to get a nice rust blue treatment.

Will try to post some before and after pics.

John
  2. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

sounds like a splendid day non the less, and good glass does make the differance doesn't it?....look forward to some pics
  3. pickenup

pickenup New Member

As long as you are happy with it. :D
    You can always change the glass.
  4. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

pickenup, I'm happy with it, perhaps it will teach me to shoot straighter! LOL

John