New Ruger .357 Bolt Action Rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JohnnyFlake, Oct 11, 2012.

1. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

This morning I happened to watch a program that my son records, because he cannot watch it in real time. I believe it's called "Guns & Gear".

Anyway, one of the featured items was a new, Ruger SS .357 Bolt Action Rifle. Overall the rifle is really short. I am not sure of the barrel length but I am thinking 16". It has the Ruger Round Magazine.

It looks interesting and they fired it for the visual experience. They were touting it as a 100yd gun for Hogs, Pigs, wolves and Deer.

Has anyone seen this or have any knowledge about this gun?
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If it were semi-auto I could see how it might be practical since it is short. However, a .357 is way too light for hogs/pigs or wolves. A short range scenario usually means the animal will be running or will be in brush. A bolt action is not well suited for either of those situations because you only have one shot.
    If the animal is standing still, then a bolt action 30-06 would be a better choice.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

I know of a .357 maximum. that was developed at one time.
    But i think TC is the only one that makes one now.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had one of them (just like the picture above) except mine was a .44 magnum, that I bought used about 5 or 6 years ago. That is one of those guns that I kick myself for getting rid of. It was a sweet shooting little rifle, I had a problem with the bolt acting up, it did not want to close right. That is the only reason I sold / traded it off. I haven't looked at the link yet, but the one I had used a 4 round rotary magazine, kinda like the 10/22.
  6. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

Ruger M77.

http://youtu.be/cso2AXHdCOg

Description of the M77/357 @ 1:05 and a demonstration by a shooter starts at 2:52 Interesting to see how the left hand shooter shoots the right hand bolt action. Almost seems like the proper way.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've got a 77/22 in 22lr, and have fired the 77/22Hornet and the 77/44. They're sweet handling little carbines.

A .357 carbine would suit my purposes better than the .44 and yes, it's plenty good enough for deer too if you use common sense with range & shot placement.
    Load it up with Sierra 170gr JHPs or your favorite 180gr cast lead bullet and take it after deer.
    I do like the little Marlin lever guns in the revolver calibers though...those are super little carbines too.

As for being able to work the bolt fast enough for follow up shots...it can be done easily with most bolts. My favorite for fast bolt work are the cock-on-closing Mausers but a good SMLE is just as slick. Cock on open actions might slow ya down a bit compared to cock on close but enough to prevent a quick follow up shot.

I've tried running the bolt with my off-hand but it just isn't as natural for me as the guy in the vid makes it look. It works with short actions, but with a long-action you will punch yourself in the snout. :) I still prefer the old reach across trick. With iron sights, there's no scope to get in the way and the bolt handle is right there without dropping the rifle off my shoulder. With a scoped rifle, I do cant the rifle away from me when I'm reaching for the bolt handle but the butt never leaves my shoulder. I grew up a lefty that learned to shoot with righty actions. Have only had one left-hand action in my entire life and it wasn't worth the extra cash I spent on it.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

never tried a different way than taking my trigger hand off and going straight to the bolt handle. I can't stop watching that guy shoot, it's pretty awesome. Seemslike that should be the proper way a bolt action should work. I dunno...
  9. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

10. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I prefer a lever action .357 carbine instead of a bolt. If Ruger truly wants to present us with a quick handling fast carbine, why not bring back the 44 magnum semi auto carbine and also make it in .357?

Because they fear it would be used in a murder and since Ruger supported Clinton's gun ban.
  11. Sandman

Sandman Member

Many people kill deer with a .357 at 100 yards with a barrel much shorter than 16 inches, so I think it would be fine. I would also be perfectly comfortable using it on hogs.
  12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Sweet little rifle, but my Rossi '92 lever action in .357 mag caliber holds 10 rounds and is dead-on accurate out at 100 yards. Oh, by the way, I paid a little under $200 back when I got it. This new Ruger seems high at just over $800, even for stainless steel.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They got em in .44 mag too. They are easy 200 yd guns. Aimed at a stronger more reliable replacement for leverguns as brush guns.

Who doesnt love a pistol caliber carbine.
  14. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

Wouldn't one of theses in .454 Casull/.45 Colt be really exciting?
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Indeed it would but IF I was gonna go that far id go all the way with a .500 mag Bolt gun.