The Firearms Forum banner

New Ruger MKIII TARGET Hunter

Tags
ruger
3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  todd51 
#1 ·
Well I got my new Ruger MKIII Hunter. with the Large wrap around grips. I like the looks of the 6 7/8" Fluted SS barrel. I like the sight picture & sights. The only darn thing is the grips are two large for my small hands. Bummer! So I just ordered some regular ruger grips.
Thinking about getting my files and sand paper out and modifying the grips to fit, they are just so nice looking it's hard ...

#4 ·
Woodsey, I hope you like your new Hunter as well as I like mine. Mine has shot every thing with out a hitch but shoots CCI 40gr. Standard Velocity Target ammo into smaller groups than other ammo I have tried. I am with the others in where are the pictures?

#11 ·
The only darn thing is the grips are two large for my small hands. Bummer! So I just ordered some regular ruger grips.
I had a chance to hold that pistol at a local gun show. I have large hands (XL glove size) and those new style grips are too big even for me. I don't know who they had in mind when they (Ruger) decided on that design. Huge!
I guess that if you can palm a basketball, you may be able to get a good grip on those stocks.

#15 ·
Well Becareful what you wish for ... you may get it! My new Ruger MKlll jams one two or three times every clip. The ammo doesn't make a difference. I did get a regular set of grips and the feel / hold is much better. But with the constant jamming I'm know pulling the dam trigger in frustration. I don't know whether to send it back to Ruger or try to find a good gunsmith in the area ... I'm not a happy camper.

#16 ·
Ah...
My MKIII was new in '09. It was one of 10 that showed up at the gun club that year, when everything center fire was not to be had. Only 22lr was around! Imagine that!!

All but one had to go back to Ruger for a variety of problems. Mine was one of them. It actually went back twice, so did at least one other. One was replaced outright! Mine would jamb, FTF, FTE, etc... every few rounds. I never was able to get off more than four consecutive shots without a failure. The two trips that mine made did not fix the problem.
I was absolutely disgusted...$550 (plus the expense of 4 more mags) down the drain. And I wasn't going to sell a problem gun to someone else. So I conceded to the fact that I had a very expensive paperweight.
One day, a year or so later, I decided to put on the scope base that came with it and also a very inexpensive red dot/reflex sight. I really just wanted something for my wife to try out/start out with. It was my only 22lr pistol at the time.
Well, let me tell you, it was as if the pistol elf's came down from...well, wherever they come from.
All of the sudden that little pistol was running like a well oiled machine. The only problems after that were ammo related, duds. Everything seemed to feed, fire and eject.
Something changed. The harmonics? I don't know, but it started working and still works very well to this day. I can't explain it, but it does.
Long story short, put on the scope base/rail and put something on it. Heck, try it with the base alone.
Let us know...

C

#17 ·
Woodsey, first contact Ruger and explain the problems you are having. I know it is a hassle to have to send a fire arm back to the factory for repair but Ruger's customer service is top notch or so has been my experience. Having a local smith work on your gun and you run the chance of voiding the excellent warranty. You should expect flawless performance with your Hunter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.