New Ruger

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 01brian, Nov 16, 2012.

1. 01brian

01brian New Member

Finally got my revolver. I went thinking 44 mag, but came out with a 357. I'm very happy. Its the Ruger GP100. You know, they were selling stuff like hotcakes. The redhawk I was looking at before was gone, the blackhawk gone. They had the alaskan 44 mag, but Frankly it seemed a bit overkill :) at this time...although, if I could find one for a deal, I would consider it in the future as well.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend and see how she goes.
    Not so good at pictures, but here they are! hahaha...did the preview...not sure if thats my feet! my boots are tan LOL

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Love it !! SS is my choice too and the GP's are stout and as rugged as they come.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice. I am jealous and that is a great revolver. You can't wear a Ruger out in 3 generations so it will give you good service. That longer barrel is great for hunting small game like rabbits and ground squirrels. Also I hope you try some 100 yard shots with it. With that barrel length you will be impressed. Also, that gun with a nice 125 JHP is a great round for self defense and the recoil won't be too bad. It's a round my wife is comfortable shooting.

Good job Brian.
  4. 01brian

01brian New Member

Thank You Both very much!

Ya, i was really wondering about the long barrel, but they had no 4.2's or 5.5's in stock...He went to the computer and nothing...and this is a pretty good sized store too. I had figured the run up was on semi-autos and rifles, but revolvers were going quick....they sold 2 other 38's while I was there today. SOooo...I kept looking at it...and I just fell in love. I decided when I get a concealed carry, its going to be smaller anyways and hammerless. So I got the big boy :)

I think this is my favorite one so far :) I wish i could take better pictures...its lots nicer in real life.
  5. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I love that gun!
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yep. that's our 'door greeter', I also usually keep it with 125gn magtechs.

GP100 is a great gun, even with my 4" barrel they're tack drivers and are the strongest revolver out there IMO, not to mention well balanced. The hogue grip is a great addition, put one on my own also

Both my ruger .357's came with phenomenal triggers but if you want to make them even better, here's a great youtard video that I used to make mine even smoother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuqticFg9q8
  7. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

I'll add another, GREAT GUN. I got mine about 6 months ago. I have the shorter barrel, and blued. I love this gun!
  8. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Very nice... At least the with the longer barrel it will make you a great hunting gun as well. Heck with the right loads, you could easily hunt Deer with it... I took a fairly large buck in 2005 with a .357mag with 180 grain hollow points. Dropped it in its tracks. :)
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have always loved that gun. Some day I will get one. 357 mag is a lot easier to shoot than the 44. The ammo is a lot cheaper also. I have a 44 mag Blackhawk and it cost a lot to shoot it.
  10. 01brian

01brian New Member

We all went out today...the family. I love that gun! My wife loves it too!! Lol...i have no ammo left. I got to say, I am really happy! Thanks for all the comments :) I do believe we will be getting one for her as well :D
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a good gun for her. You should have her hold the SP101. That is a great gun and may fit her smaller hands a little better. The SP101 is easy to conceal too.
  12. 01brian

01brian New Member

right on! That's a great idea...we'll check those out. She loved the mini 14 too...im really low on ammo now.
  13. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

You can't do any better than the 357. 38 specials are cheap if you want to take a break and save some money. I own 3; a Colt Python, a 6 inch Smith 686, and a 4 inch Smith 686. I've retired the Python from use and mostly shoot the 686s now. I would like the Python to be handed down to my son or daughter once I've fired my last shot.
  14. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Beautiful gun Love the Rugers.