new scope need help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryan42, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

If you have a new scope and you aim at the bullseye and you dont even hit the target and you cant see where the bullet is going how do you know where to start?
  2. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Put a large flattened out cardboard box on yer back stop, and shoot one shot at each of the 4 corners until you find one hit. Then begin your adjustments from there. BUT - before you take the rifle out of the house again, check to make sure that the scope is mounted correctly; I have seen em pretty far out, but if its TOO far out, there may be a mount issue, or you could run out of adjustment before you get zeroed completely.
  3. 2nd Amendment

2nd Amendment New Member

The shootings were frustrating for me at least. Start with a LARGE target like cardboard box or just paper. Just to give yourself a wide area so you can actually see how much off it was from the actual target.

For me the uncomfortable pulling of the trigger caused the bullet to be aimed at some place much random when it fired. I tried to "squeeze" rather but it needs some work..
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

bore sight it
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Gun runner +1

Something else, If you find that say you are way off on say windage, like 3-4 foot from bulls eye; re-adjust your rings. Leupold dove tails have a wrench that turns bottom of ring. You want rings so that scope is fairly close to begin with. Reason is if you have to move dial say 80-100 clicks to get on bulls eye, maybe 3-4 feet, you can affect your elevation also. I did it myself on a leupold with turrets, then later tried taking a 800 yard shot. Turned turret up to 800, got tight. I had moved it so much when I sighted gun in, it was near end of it's range to begin with. From what I understood when I went to turn up elevation, I couldn't due to the limitations that interacted internally with windage adjustments.

That only happened once to me, ha, I learned. Good idea to bore sight and get scope within 10-12 inches of bulls eye to begin with before making any adjustments.
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Adjust it in at 50 yards 1st then back out to 100 yards.
  7. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Get a large target and place it at 25yds. Shoot one time. Find the bullet hole, take the bolt out and look through the barrel and align the bore with the hole. Then using the mounting system and align the scope to the hole as near as you can. That is if the mounting system has adjustments. If not then you will have to click it all the way to zero. Once this is done. shoot again and do the final tweaking. Once sighted in at 25yds, you should be within 2-1/2 inches of zero at 100 yds. Usually high. Then depending on the caliber and wt of the bullet you should come back to zero at about 230 to 250 yds. This gives a range of about 5 inches form 25yds to say about 260-275 yards, which will be deadly on a deer since the kill area of a deer is about 18 inches.
    Try this, I'll bet it will work.
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

+1 ^^^ all the above.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Boar sight it first.

1. remove ammo and bolt.
    2. look through boar while it is sitting in a rest.
    3. put the boar on a target at 25 or 50 yards.
    4. without moving the scope adjust it to the center of the target.
    5. recheck through boar.
    6. If it passes recheck, shoot 1 shot at the target.
    7. Adjust POA to meat POI and shoot 1 more to confirm.
  10. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

they make those laser bore sighters, you just stick the device in the barrel and have the gun on a rest and align the crosshairs to the dot on the wall, i was going to buy one but i dont feel like paying 50 bucks at bass pro for something id probaly use once. like i said bore sight
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

thanks fellas i got ur done,appreciate the help
  12. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

well, what did ya do to fix it?
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Goofy has a GREAT point. Start your sighting in at a closer distance. Before I used a laser boresighter as a starting point I'd just shoot at about 25 yards to get a baseline. Once you get the windage corrected at 25-50 yards, start moving back. Easy... Good luck! :)