new shooter from Canada

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by meg, Apr 20, 2008.

1. meg

meg New Member

Hi Everyone
    I am new to this forum. I am also new to shooting. Can anyone tell me what would be a good rifle to start with for target shooting and then on to hunting. I am 5ft 3 in. tall and 130 lbs and am a female of course. I don't want a rifle that is so long that I can hardly shoot. I want to be comfortable with it and don't want it to be too, too heavy. I appreciate any advise on this. Thanks

meg
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Hiya Meg! Welcome to the asylum.

I'm not familiar with the modern selection of 22 rifles but the older Winchester, Marlin, Remington, and JC Higgins all have light barreled rifles.

Hang in there and those who know will be along to help you out.
  3. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Hi Meg, welcome to TFF, good to see a fellow Canadian on the forums. It's also nice to see a female getting interested in the shooting sports and hunting. There is hope after all. :D:D:D

All kidding aside, I'm doing some looking around for you and depending on your build, you might be comfortable with a youth model rifle, many of these are actually called youth/lady models by the manufacturers. I'm looking at the Remington site right now and they offer the Model Five in a youth model. It's a bolt action, .22LR, five shot detachable magazine, with a 16.5" barrel(compared to the 22" full sized model) and also has a 1" shorter stock so that you will not be reaching as far for the trigger, that's called "length of pull". MSRP is listed as $237 American, but with our "strong dollar" of late, should be pretty comparably priced up here.

Winchester offers the Wildcat, bolt action .22, but no youth model. It is a very sharp looking rifle for $269.

You can also check here, http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/index-lg-22.shtm
    This is Marstar Canada's site, where they sell Chinese made Norinco firearms, and the part I linked to is the Norinco .22 selection, some nice little rifles for nice prices. And don't be too put off by the fact that Norinco is Chinese, they make some quality firearms.

Hope some of this helps, and we hope you stick around, pull up a log and join the party round our campfire. :D:D

Oh and the reason I mentioned the Remington Model Five and the Winchester Wildcat, is that for new shooters, a repeater such as a bolt action is a far better learning platform than a semi-auto. It'll help you learn to aim each shot carefully rather than just pulling the trigger repeatedly to get the job done with a semi. Trust me, I learned on a semi-auto, and by the time I got serious about hunting and shooting, I had developed some bad habits that were very hard to fix.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Meg,

I agree with Bunny that you probably want to go with a bolt action (or lever action if you're left handed or just like them better). Bolts and levers tend to be more accurate than semis, and they definitely make better shooters.

You are only slightly smaller than my girlfriend, and she doesn't have any trouble with full size .22s. However, your best bet is going to be going to a shop and holding something against your shouler to see it fits.
  5. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Hi again Meg, I just noticed your other post there. I didn't know you had a 9422.

So for comparison, on the Winchester site, the length of pull on your 9422 is stated at 13.5" and the weight is 6lbs. The Wildcat I mentioned has the same length of pull but is only 4lb 8oz. The Remington Model Five is listed at 5.5lbs and length of pull SHOULD be around 12-12.5"

So you can use your 9422 as a starting point. If you find it a little heavy, then look for something lighter than 6lbs. If you find yourself over-reaching to get to the trigger go for a length of pull less than 13.5" And these are by far, not the only things to consider when determining what rifle is good for you, so I'll echo what Josh said; Go to your local gun store and ask to handle the different rifles, ask for their reccomendations, and just find what FEELS right.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  7. Welcome to TFF/VMBB Meg! Glad to have you with us.:)

For someone new to shooting, the best place to start is nearly always a good .22 rifle. They're inexpensive to buy and to shoot, they're accurate, and recoil is virtually nonexistent. My own suggestion would be to go with a good bolt action to start with, for example, the Marlin 925 or 980 ( http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/980S.aspx ). The bolt will prepare you for handling larger calibers should you wish to move up to them in the future.

By the way, it's good to see another Canadian with us here at TFF. You have the chance to prove that all Canadians are not as crazy as Bunnyhunter. :D;):p
  8. luvtoshoot

luvtoshoot New Member

Meg,
    You might want to take a look at the Norinco JW-20 Browning look alike, it is a small accurate semi auto. It is fun to shoot, I have one with a 4X scope, it takes down and easy to clean. If it starts to jam it is ready to be cleaned, if it is kept clean I never have a problem with mine. (Gun Scrubber is a good product to wash it out with) It is not intended to be a target rifle however but a nice little hunting rifle. If you want to join the ranks of gun nuts then you need something like a CZ-452 American or Varmint, they will give good accuracy on targets. Once you get started you can own a different one to shoot every day of the week. If you can't find a Norinco JW-20 look for a Browning they are the crem-della crem. Note Brownig parts will fit the JW-20. Good Luck and happy shooting.

Luvtoshoot;)
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  9. meg

meg New Member

Hi to all of you who answered my questions. Thanks alot. The info was great. I was thinking of a bolt action. I am not that interested in a semi-auto at this time. Start slow and be comfortable with whatever gun I purchase. I am looking forward to getting out there and practising.
    Thanks again.
    meg
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to have you at TFF, meg.

Attached Files:

11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Meg, Google 'Armstar' , go to their website, and look for a Brno model 1, or 2, or a CZ 527; these are all quality rifles, none of which will limit scores, unless YOU choke!
    The Brnos will shot great, from the gate, the later CZ's may need a small bit of work, to achieve that, but they are the best 'bang for the buck', I have found.
    I personally gravitate to single shot rifles, falling, or tipping block actions, and these are an art in themselves, to really make accurate, and consistantly so; I would not discourage you from this field, but advise that they are not an easy bunch to shoot well.
    If the funds are available, a Win 52, Rem 40-X, any of the Walther, Anschutz, or similar 'dedicated target rifles' might be a thought, but here, the price of admission takes a huge vertical jump.
  12. William Harper

William Harper New Member

Dear Meg: I have been shooting rifles for sixty years and am familiar with most of the arms mentioned above. I would avoid the NORINCO .22 LR sometimes called the Chinese CZ because all of them have sporter chambers throats and bores on the legally safe loosest fit for cartridge case and bullet, a fifty yard 1.5 inch group at best. The Remington Model Five is phased out by Remington; it was made in Zastava, Serbia with tight match chamber, throat and bore plus extraction problems and magazines difficult to load; getting parts for it in the future is problematical. On the other hand the CZ Scout, though short barreled, has better workmanship, usable open iron sights, and a much better trigger. It can be equipped with receiver sights, newly available or it can be equipped with a telescopic sight. The CZ Scout will fit a young lady of your stature and is not heavy, yet its chamber, throat, and bore are what I would call semi-match and can turn in superb accuracy with the right load. Try about 15-20 reputable loads through any rifle and you will soon locate both the best and the acceptable. Another good rifle is the American Savage Mark II .22 LR. in light or heavy barrelled models. Savage often offers the best performance for the money of any gunmaker with a good warranty and an excellent new trigger design. It may lack CZ elegance but surpass it in accuracy and availability of service. Both models of the Mark II come with iron sights: the heavy barrel receiver (peep) sights for target work, the light barrel with open iron sights which a master can use effectively on targets or small game to 300 meters. Both Savage rifles can be equipped with telescopic sights. None of the three rifles above weighs much over five pounds. They either have sling swivels for straps or provision for attaching them. The CZ Lux, an elegant paragon of open-sighted .22 LRs has a 24.8 inch barrel and is 43 inches overall at 6.6 Lbs. At 5'11" 220 Lbs with a 38 inch sleeve, I find the CZ Lux a man-sized rifle. Add telescopic sights and you add weight. I use iron sights, still having adequate vision and sixty years of growing mastery as yet. Meg, I believe between the posts above and the data I have given, you have enough information to make an informed choice. Good luck with your shooting experience.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  13. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Can't say anymore, but to repeat, go to your local gunshop, and try them on for size,You will know the right firearm when you shoulder it,cause it will fit!
  14. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Where in Ontario are you.
  15. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think she's gone. April of '08 was when this post originated.