New Shooter in Family

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harshbarger, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Harshbarger

Harshbarger New Member

Hey people,
    Just a quick note to BRAG about our new addition- Elijah James. We had him last Friday...Well the wife had him...I bought him his first shotgun Saturday but I guess I will have to wait till the ear muffs fit him before letting him shoot. I missed reading the new posts in the morning the past week...what a great group of people.
    MBH
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Congratulations on the new arrival. Shotgun so soon? We do need a few pictures though! Please????? :) :) :) :)
  3. lead

lead Active Member

Congrats! Is the shotgun a 410? You might be able to get him ready for the Fall season!!
  4. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Congratulation!! Nothing wrong with getting the shotgun now. You can make sure that it is working right by the time he is ready for it. :D When my grand son was born I bought him a little Rossi that had 2 barrels. A 22 and 410. He will be 5 this March, He is almost ready for it. :D His brother was just born a month ago, I guess I will have to buy him something, I don't want him to feel left out! :D :p

Again Congratulation, and when your wife starts questioning the gun buys, just explain to her how much money you are saveing by getting them NOW! :D :p
  5. Harshbarger

Harshbarger New Member

Lead
    Yep, a .410 single shot...I wanted to buy it the day he was born but didn't get out of the hospital till late in the evening. I really wanted to be able to say I bought him his first gun the day he was born. Can you tell I'm a proud parent???
  6. Harshbarger

Harshbarger New Member

Wolfgang,
    Thanks. I have the opposite problem of most guys...I have to keep putting the brakes on my wife buying new guns. I even hide the new hunting magazines as they come in so she doesn't see the "new" camo patterns they came out with or the "hottest" wildcat cartridges just out. If I can figure out how to enter photos I'll get pictures in here tomorrow of our son & this year's hunting pics where the wife showed me up here in PA.
  7. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

You have a lot to look forward to, years of fun. Our daughter was scared of guns and hide in her room when I brought home a deer to butcher. Years later she ask if I would teach her to shoot......I nearly fell over. When she got very good I gave her a .38.

She came home for a couple of weeks this past Christmas and brought the snub nose .38. She wanted to go to the range with me. She just now turned 36 and can out shoot her old man. We only see her once a year now, so it is quality time when she is home.

Congratulations!
  8. Harshbarger

Harshbarger New Member

Silver,
    Isn't that a neat feeling? People are always busting me when we are shooting claybirds and the wife ends up winning in a game of cut-throat, but I keep telling them I'm the one that created that monster. I have a daughter that will be four in April and she was with us duck hunting when she was six months and she has been Moose hunting in Newfoundland twice already. But I want them to grow up the way I was brought up. My dad was a Game Warden and I pretty much grew up hunting & fishing & living on wild game. Heck, we raise registered Black Angus beef and I can't remember the last time I actually ate beef. I never realized how much fun this was going to be having my own kids to teach all the things that I was blessed with learning from my parents. I just wish I could have afforded to do it at a younger age.
  9. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Yes it's neat! We have a son, older than our daughter, that hunted the same ranch with me for 12-14 years. His first gun (he saved for and picked out) was the Win. .30-30. He took his first deer with it in the brush at about 13. I got him a .270 when he was 15 and we got on our first hunting lease.

Currently he has my laptop and is up dating it for me.

Two great kids!
  10. muley

muley New Member

Congratulations!! That's cool....I didn't get my first shotgun until I was 8.....The muley womenfolk were too liberal, I guess. :eek: :eek: Mine was a 410 single shot too.......Still have it, of course.
    May he enjoy good health and have a happy, long life............ :D :D :D
    muley
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Many Cudos, Harsh. My Dad was like you - - - Start ém shootin' right out o' the cradle!
  12. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Congratulations,I did not buy my daughter a firearm untill she was two years old,It was a single shot ChipMunk 22LR.
  13. Congratulations, Harsh!!! New additions like that are what give purpose to out lives.
  14. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Congrats on the newest addition.
    What does the "almost" 4 year old think about this?
  15. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Harsh sounds to me like them children will have years of good times with their Dad.
    Ron
  16. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Congratulations, Harshbarger! Can't wait to see the pics!!
  17. rosierita

rosierita New Member

:) congrats harshbarger!