New shooter, looking for a gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by MattJ, Oct 27, 2005.

1. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Hello, im a beginner shooter looking for a good new gun. im DEFINATLY not a revolver guy, and the SW99 looked nice, and ive heard reccommendations for the Springfield XD, but i am still interested in getting more opinions. im pretty sure that im going to get a 9mm, if that helps.

thanks
  2. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

To beat out some of my JMB-idolizing brethren...[grin]

Oh, and glocknut will probably be along later with his two cents. [grin]
  3. MattJ

MattJ New Member

yes, i know all about the 1911, but its a lot pricey for my poor college means. that and ive heard from numerous people who have told me that .45 are not cheap to shoot either. I know a 9mm doesnt have much stopping power, but im more interested in learning to shoot cheaply then home defence, we have a shotgun for that. thanks for the imput though, any recommendations are appreciated
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Try Llama or Hi-Point - yea, I know, Hi-Points are as ugly as the backside of a mud fence but they're well-built and accurate.
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

If you want to shoot cheaply, get a .22 pistol. You can shoot .22s by the brick. ;)

Welcome to TFF!
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Matt.......welcome to TFF.

I'm with Southern Moss here. If you're a beginner pistol shooter, I'd highly recommend that you start with a .22.

I'd suggest something fairly inexpensive, but accurate, like a Ruger Mk.II, Mk.III or 22/45.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/P-CategoryPistolsRF.html

First off, .22s have low recoil, so you don't build in a "flinch" as you're learning to shoot......as you can with high powered pistols.

Secondly, .22 is cheap to shoot, thus encouraging you to do a lot of shooting.....and that's how your learn to shoot safely and accurately.

After you've learned to shoot a pistol accurately and safely.....then you can move on to the bigger stuff.
  7. MattJ

MattJ New Member

ah, i see, so a .22? I understand that it would be A LOT cheaper to shoot a handgun with .22 cal, but wouldnt it be good to learn with some sort of recoil? A lot of the people i was talking to (Policeone.com) were saying that its best to train on a gun you are going to use, but i was going a step lower than that with a 9mm, so would it be wise to go even lower than that? i guess i should have said that i am interested in learning for the point of law enforcement down the road.
  8. West

West New Member

Already on the wrong path, stay away from the 9, if your already going down that path you might as well get a 22, stay with in the .40 .45 caliber range. Now you must understand guns are not cheep, in my personal opion if the gun is priced under $600 you may be making a risky investment, if you want an all out bad ass hand gun go with the H&K USP, if you absolutely don’t have to spend $500 go with the XD, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT buy a High Point, I’m sure you can guess why their only $100, doesn’t take a genius.
  9. MattJ

MattJ New Member

yeah, i was planning on not getting a highpoint. lol. but even a 9 would be the wrong way to go when i know i would someday be shooting a .40? my way of thinking about it is that it would be much more benifitual for me to shoot a lot more with a little less recoil than a lot less with a gun that i may be using later. im a college kid, so the cost of the bullets do make a large difference. also, i wouldnt be going to the academy for another 3 years, so i figure i could get a basis for shooting guns down, and when i get to the point where i can move up to a .40, i can get a gun i know i can carry, because as of right now i have NO idea where i want to go, and departments have restrictions. but yeah, i do see what you mean.
  10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Matt.....in theory, it seems to make sense to "learn on what you're going to shoot"......but would you put a "newbie" learning driver in a Corvette or a Viper?

I was a police firearms instructor for a number of years, and I'm thoroughly convinced that most cops can't shoot worth a damn because they learned to shoot with a major caliber and learned to flinch anticipating the recoil.

A little story. We had a woman who was elected to the Police Commission. A grandmother (in her '50's), 5-foot-nuthin', 110 pounds (soaking wet with lead shoes on). She wanted to learn to shoot a handgun. I asked her if she just want to learn to shoot, of if she wanted to learn to shoot right. She said "Let's do it right!"

I started her shooting my personal Ruger .22 semi-auto. We did that for about two or three months......must've had her put about 1500-2000 rounds thru it.

She then wanted to buy a carry gun, so we went out and bought her a nice little Smith 3-inch barrel Chief's Special. We started with light target loads.....a lot of 'em. A few months later we moved up to regular loads, and later, a few +Ps. After that, she wanted to try out one of my 1911s.

We took my pin gun and started on light target loads, later moved up to factory loads, and finally onto my gonzo bowling pin loads. I taught her the two handed "locked wrist, loose elbow" method. The .45 ended up over her head, but she put the rounds in the kill zone every time....and every round was right on target!

She bought a Series-70 Colt Combat Commander, and shooting full-power loads, was able to out qualify every Cop on our department.......and later became one of the 10 best bowling pin shooters in our pin league.

You've got 3 years. How you learn to shoot is up to you. You can learn to shoot a lot of different ways......to learn to shoot well, is a whole 'nother story.
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Get a .22 and shoot often. Save your money and buy a .45 after you've learned how to shoot.
  12. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Welcome to TFF, i would also recommend starting out with a 22LR pistol, it is too bad Glock does not make a 22LR pistol. :D
  13. PLINKER45

PLINKER45 Member

.22cal. guns are nice: I have a beretta u22 NEOS that is an exellent shooter. If you are set on a 9mm, and it doesnt have to be something to carry, a p-series ruger would be a good choice. They usually will shoot anything you feed them.
  14. lonerockut

lonerockut New Member

Your post is old enough, that you may have already purchased, but I agree with learning with 22 lr, I would offer this as a thought, if you are going to a nine, why not get the cz 75 with the 22 upper, I've had first hand experience shooting the one a freind owns and am very positive about the gun, I'm told you can convert it to 9 later BUT AM NOT CERTAIN ask cz. I know you can convert the 9 or 40 to 22 but that is more money initially. There is also the 1911 with ceiner (sp?) conversions, The idea being the same firecontrols and grip and when ready, you convert up the caliber. I liked the cz 75 22 so much I bought a cz P01 for my ccw. For background I'm a 1911 lover so the long dao are hard on me but I do respect the philosophy behind them, the cz is da/sa.
  15. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The three keys to shooting well is practice, practice and more practice. Nothing is less expensive to shoot then 22LR pistols except air guns.

I suggest you go with something like a Ruger target gun or a Browning target gun. Buy the on-sale ammo and shoot lots and often. An alternative that has already been suggested is to buy a CZ in the caliber you ultimately want, and the Kadet 22LR conversion for it. This wil not be cheap but my CZ75B in 40S&W with the Kadet conversion is a real accurate pistol in 22LR and rivals my Ruger Government model for accuracy.

Years ago when I decided to become a better shot I shot at the range every week. I shot 22LR and target load 38 special. That was not enough shooting to get better! So I bought a precision pellet air gun and practiced every day in my garage (shooting into a metal pellet trap the length of my car). It took about 15 minutes each day to shoot several targets of ten bulls each, five shots each bull. It worked!

I hope you get the idea that you must shoot to get better (or learn to shoot). If the ammo is an expense problem you won't shoot. Moving up to more recoiling guns will not be a problem if you do it in steps as suggested above. Be aware that some people can never accomodate recoil at all. Wouldn't it be a shame if you turned out to be one of them. I have a friend who shot 22 and air gun shilohuete matches for years and years. He was often the club champion but he could not shoot anything in the form of a centerfire pistol without shaking and flinching anticipating the recoil. He absolutely is adverse to recoil. So start at 22, move up in calibers as your skills increase, and practice.

LDBennett