1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

new shooter looking for help

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by wolf21432, Dec 10, 2010.

1. wolf21432

wolf21432 New Member

Ok so iv looked around on the forum and haven't seen anything about this but I'm buying a new Savage Mark II soon and i plan on using it in my back yard and the woods near my house. There are houses around so i wanna find a quiet ammo. Can you post what quiet ammo you have used and compare the sound to something so I have a reference? I have no prior shooting experience besides my BB guns. So comparing it to other ammo wont help.Thank you in advance.
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Most manufacturers make a type of .22 rimfire ammo called CB caps. It is basically a .22 short case and light bullet that is powered only by the priming compound - the case doesn't contain any powder. They are for short range and are much quiter than standard .22 rimfire ammo.

Remember though, even short-range ammo can travel several hundred yards when fired at high angles, such as into trees for squirrel control. BE SAFE!
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Wolf21342
    You need 22's that go slower than the speed of sound,(to be technical that means slower than 1128 fps at 70 degrees at sea level) Remington and Winchester make long rifle subsonics that go 1050 fps 22's.they are almost as quiet as a single break air rifle. Bass Pro sells both. Enjoy, cause I do!
  4. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

No firearm ammo is going to be very quiet. You'd be much better off, IMHO, with a modern air gun - and it would be a LOT less expensive to shoot.