New Shooter

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by StileGuy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I would not buy anything other than a 12. If recoil is a factor, adjust your load down. It is the most versatile of any shotgun available today.
  2. oneounceload

oneounceload New Member

Before you run out and buy anything, have you tried various brands and types at your local gun club?

Most shooters will gladly let you try their guns, (pride of ownership). Try as many types and brands as you can, and then decide which one(s) FIT you the best. A proper fitting shotgun will do more to reduce face-slap and other recoil-induced maladies.

Once your gun has been determined, shoot light target loads. For trap, 1 ounce of #8's will do just fine from the 16 yard line. They'll also work just fine for skeet, 5-stand, and most sporting clay presentations.

If, in your quest for your gun, you determine that the best choice is one you presently cannot afford, my suggestion is to save for it - you'll only regret not getting it. Buying something cheap that may spend more time at the gunsmith is usually not conducive to having fun.....

Good luck in your quest
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

stile, i'll start out by saying this... i am an Assistant Scout Master for a local Boy Scout Troop and the Camp that we regularly attend each summer uses Remington 11-87's in 20. they have both a teaching and wobble trap and the 20 guage has never hesitated.. however, i agree with what most before me have said. start out with 12. i think it was tranter who mentioned noticing recoil differences less if you downgrade. as far as which gun to buy...that is solely up to you. in my opinion you cant go wrong with either a Remington 1100, 11-87; Mossberg 500, or a 88 Maverick (which is what i shoot) ... but thats just my $0.02:)
  4. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Get a 12g and get a lace-up recoil pad. Shop your pawn shops for the shotgun. A lot cheaper than typical gun shops.
  5. bizy

bizy New Member

I am 62 and use a 20 ga mossburg mod 500. When I use my mossburg 12 ga mod 500, it shakes me all over. The people I shoot with are split between the 20 and 12 no matter the maker. Myself, I have a franchi auto and mossburg pump in 20 ga. I use either with good results.
    The only results I get with my 12 ga mossburg pump is a sore shoulder...