New Sig Mosquito Owner

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ahewy, May 1, 2011.

1. ahewy

ahewy New Member

New member here but wanted to post my thoughts. I recently bought a Sig mosquito. Even after reading all the horror stories i just felt like i had to get it. First thing i did when i got it was clean it and oil it. I was able to take it out yesterday with a few buddies and put 300 rounds of the cci mini mags and 50 of the cci stingers. i did not have a single ftf, fte, etc. not a single problem. got it home last night and cleaned and oiled it again. took it to the range today and put another 200 cci mini mags and then 150 cci round nosed 1200 fps that were marked for tactical ar's. again no problems. seemed to shoot where i pointed it. the sa trigger felt good. did some da shooting and i felt like it wasnt as bad as most make it out to be. I am very pleased with the gun so far. at about 60 yards everything was on paper. pretty accurate at 15 yards. again, im happy with the gun so far and would recommend it at this point. im going to take it out again next week and feed it some more mini mags and maybe try some cheaper ammo after that and see how it works.

[​IMG]

ps i had about 4 weeks in between getting the gun and taking it to the range and already decided to get wood grips for it... id love your guys feed back on them.
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the forum Ahewy! I'm a fan of the two tone Sigs, but I still give the wood two thumbs up, looks great. I love my Skeet-O too, as long as you feed it good ammo, it's a great little plinker. It's what I've used to give my kids an intro to semi-autos and they can tear through some mini-mags!

Only real downside I see with them is the cost of good metal mags; they're nearly impossible to find and usually around $45 ea !! The plastic ones work ok though and it's not a SD gun, so I settled for the plastic.

Have some fun and keep posting; great things on this site and after you hit 50 on your post count, you can enter the giveaways!

Semper Fi,

Woolley

link to pic of mine
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72169&highlight=sig mosquito

3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Nice looking gun and love the grips. Loads of info here, you can learn something everyday. By the way ......WELCOME!!!:D
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I had a Mosquito for a couple years, and I definitely miss it. I don't remember what I wanted the money for, but it wasn't worth it. I need to replace that thing.

I personally prefer the all-black look on SIGs... but I think that wood could probably grow on me. :D
  5. ahewy

ahewy New Member

i ordered two metal mags off cheaperthandirt.com. 29.99 a piece. look just like my original.

i wanted to get the reverse two tone but couldnt justify the extra $40 for it. but yours looks nice, youve got a great dog woolleyworm!

The bonus about the Mosquito is the girlfriend is interested in shooting since the .22 has ZERO recoil.

Thanks for the Welcomes guys.
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    glad you got a good one,i did not.first off no one in my area had the mini mags,everybody was out.my other problem was comparing it to my old ruger mark ll.it ate every thing you put in it and being a bull barrel with fited grips it would shoot rings around the sig.bye bye sig hello new mark ll. old semperfi
  7. ahewy

ahewy New Member

Yah the Ruger is a nice gun i looked at a few but being my first hand gun I didnt want to get the target style. It is too bad you had bad luck with yours. the mini mags are in stock in every gun store and walmart around me! I wanted a gun to get a little experience for a full sized sig. what i really want is a p6 or p225 and a sp2022 in 9mm so i thought the mosquito was a good start. i will eventually get a target style .22 and was curious about how the browning buckmark is. i like the feel of that over the ruger.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The Buckmark is IMO the best in that price range/class. I like the Ruger Mks too, but I'd take a Buckmark anyday. ( even over the Sig and I love my Sigs ! )

As far as 9's go, I'm never hesistant to recommend the P6; they're still plentiful on the surplus market and they're great shooters. I'm not a fan of the sp series; they just don't handle the same. The P225 is great if you can find one, but the P6 is going to be just a good and much less $$$.
  9. Just22s

Just22s New Member

I love those grips Where did you get them????

I have a Mosquito Sport for a couple years now with no problems. I'd love to get a set of wood grips though.
  10. ahewy

ahewy New Member

grips4u.net... they were a birthday present. they go for 99 on there i believe for the mosquito. everything else is much cheaper than the mosquito. had another good day at the range last weekend. 325 rounds with just one problem. the magazine that came from sig seems to have problems loading when it gets dirty. i put a drop of oil in there and it worked fine after but it happens every time i have shot. but i have yet to have a ftf or fte. very pleased with the gun.
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  11. Just22s

Just22s New Member

I did find that site but they were out of stock. I found another site vintagegunsgrips.com that has them for $80.00. I think I'll give them a shot.
  12. stewswanson

stewswanson New Member

My wife has had good luck with Federal Automatch which is inexpensive and cycles perfectly with the lighter spring.
    Stew
  13. Just22s

Just22s New Member

I figured I'd share an update. I ordered the grips from Vintage grips and they got here extremely fast. They dress the mosquito up and it looks sweet.

Attached Files:

14. ahewy

ahewy New Member

yah those look good just22s. i got the stippled but the checkered looks great.
    i shot another 150 rounds today before it rained. i have switched to the highest front sight it came with. im not sure what you guys use but i had to aim low before. i shot some 20 year old federal ammo my gramps gave me. had no issues with that. shot some of the cci birdshot stuff, that didnt eject but was cool to shoot. then i tried some remington thunderbolts. these would not eject and caused a jam everytime so those will not be used again. but with all the cci ammo i had no issues. had some bulk round nosed, some mini mag hps and some stingers. stingers are definitely my favorite. i think im going to try some other cheaper ammo now that ive got over 1000 rounds through it.

a question i have for you other mosquito owners is about the springs. can you guys see a difference in color between the springs. i received two with my mosquito but both look to be the same color, size, and tension, and i have had no difference while shooting with the two springs. does anyone have pics of the difference?
  15. arcmartin

arcmartin New Member

Have a "standard" mosquito with a green laser sight and it just keeps on working. am wondering about a repalcement bbl. (longer) and or the sport front end piece ?? (sorry about the language)
    thank you