1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New SKS from J&G

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Terry G, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Terry G

Terry G Member

I just received a new Yugoslavian SKS ftom J&G Sales and man is it a beauty! It is brand new, no marks of any kind it even came in a matching serial numbered box. It has a ligh coat of oil on it, it seems to thin to be cosmoline. Normally I would just use mineral spirits on it, but the wood and metal is so nice I want to make sure I don't darken the wood or stain the metal. Any advice would be appreciated. One guy suggested acetone as it dries quickly, but that seems harsh to me.

Attached Files:

2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

No advice to offer, but sure is a purdy thing!
  3. Terry, you might consider a product called "Blue Wonder" for the metal parts, followed by "Lube Job" gun cleaner. I've had very good luck with both of these products. For the wood, there are some very good wood cleaners on the market (you might look at Wally World) intended for fine furniture, but should also work on the gunstock.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Looks durn good already man.
  5. JerryBNC

JerryBNC New Member

That does look good. I just got my C&R Last Monday. I'm Thinking I'll get a K31 as soon as someone says they have recived a copy of my FFL.

I have been reading ya'll's posts looks like a great group here.

Jerry
  6. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I recommend mineral spirits to clean up the entire rifle. Wood, metal, everything.

The wood, unfortunately, does need some extra attention. It has literally soaked up the cosmoline over years and years, like a tree soaks up water. It will need to be sweated out of the wood using a process of heat saturation. If you don't do it now, that cosmoline will sweat out later when you're at the range on a hot day, and as the rifle heats it up. And you'll end up with oily/sticky hands then. So it's better to just go ahead and do it now.

I usually bake my stocks in the oven, set between 140-170 degrees (no hotter than that) for an hour or so. I check on it every 10 minutes to wipe off the cosmoline that has bled out. When it stops bleeding, it's done. Wipe it off, go over it with mineral spirits, and it should be as clean as it needs to be.

The Yugoslavs didn't put any finish on their stocks except a light oil finish. I usually, after wiping clean with mineral spirits, take it one step further and lightly scrub the stock with 0000 steel wool dipped in Minwax Antique Furniture Refinisher. It will leave the stock nice and dry, and ready for re-oiling. It does contain acetone (among other ingredients) just like your friend suggested, but it will not harm the wood. Acetone is not a problem. What you really want to avoid is any method that includes water. So if you stick with mineral spirits and then the Antique Furniture Refinisher (or just acetone alone), it will be fine.
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Wow, I learned something new, I NEVER heard of the oven thing, I'll have to try it next time. Thanks, '52!

I generally use denatured alcohol on the real cosmo queens. I ve been told alcohol will dry out the wood, but I like to wipe it down at least once with tru-oil after it's dry anyway.

When I "refinish" any stocks, I usually only do ones with no visible stock markings. I usually sand it down lightly, use an iron over a damp cloth to steam out many dings and dents, and sand it again. If it is a nice color and has good visible grain, I usually just rub in about 3-4 coats of Tru-oil. (Linseed takes too long to dry, to me.) If it is TOO blond, or with no grain visible, I will rub in then wipe off an appropriate stain (I've experimented with many colors, various walnuts work nicely on the dark Polish and Hungarian woods, various cherries work well with the "blonder" Russian and Romanian woods) until it looks better and THEN apply the Tru-oil.
  8. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

I'm the one who actually owns the weapons in my home, but I'll tell ya...
    M wife would kill me if I was baking a rifle in the oven!!

I'm going to do this once that old CRFFL comes in...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp

Maybe I'll even open up shop for the folks here on the forum....

The Daddy
  9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

10. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

John K,
    Great minds think alike !

:)
  11. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

John think we cook clean the stocks and bake a cake at the same time? :D
  12. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Maybe come up with a new recipe at the same time - Cosmo-Creme Cake!

BAM! :D
  13. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Just imagining that makes my tongue curl up funny...
    :eek:
  14. new sks 2005

new sks 2005 New Member

sweet score on that sks!!! :D
  15. parpat

parpat New Member

I also 'cooked' my SKS stock and forearm wood, luckily there was not a ton of cosmo that came out.. I also used Brake Kleen on it, though it drys the wood out, I finished it with clear coat of MinWax satin finish ..