new Springfield XD(M) legal in CA - considering for conceal carry

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jeepix, May 21, 2010.

1. jeepix

jeepix New Member

So I was reading the article below and considering the smaller for a conceal carry. However, the high-cap mag (10 rnd or less is legal in CA) is illegal, but the loaded chamber indicator is required for CA and therefore makes it legal.

Anyone know if they will make a CA legal version?

Here's a good article for anyone interested in their new line:
    Springfield XD(M)
  2. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Yes, they are making a model that comes with 10 round mags
    I sent an email to a rep at springfield asking about the XDM. He said all models will be available with 10 round mags and are being reviewed by the CA DOJ
    They are not on the list currently, but they are under review in Cali as we speak.
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The "review" is really a "Safety Certification". It is a test that consumes two handguns and cost thousands of dollars. Any handgun that is to be sold by dealers in CA has to be "certified". The certification is only good for a couple of years. Every version, if only a color variation, has to be tested. They keep adding requirements to the testing. One of the latest and hardest for guns like the 1911 is the magazine safety (I have yet to see one on a 1911) so when renewal comes around this next time they will be gone for sale in CA, one manufacturer at a time, unless they add the feature. This CA process has drastically reduced the number of handguns (new and used) for sale in CA through dealers, which was the plan of the gun control freaks and it is working.

Non-Certified guns private or dealer consignment sales are still possible but, of course, the transaction has to include the DROS paperwork through an CA FFL dealer. Out of state dealers or distributors have to get permission from the CA DOJ to send any gun to CA for a fee, of course.

CA gun laws suck and CA will be bankrupt in the near future. Isn't it great?

LDBennett
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

And I bet that has really knocked crime down huh? I'll save any more for the appropriate section. Good luck with the XDM as I have read and heard they are an excellent pistol. My eyes are on a XD 45 Compact for the future. Good luck.
  5. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Every currently uncertified handgun submitted to the CA DOJ for testing must first contain a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect safety. If the handgun does not contain these features it will not be tested.

Firearms that are currently certified need not contain these features as long as the annual certification fees are received by the State in a timely manner.

So far as I know, the XDm does not contain a magazine disconnect safety.
  6. LDBennett

Popeye said:

"Firearms that are currently certified need not contain these features as long as the annual certification fees are received by the State in a timely manner."

While the above may be true (??), some manufacturers are choosing to not renew or submit guns for certification. The quantity of guns approved last year, I am told, is about a third of the previous year.

The stated purpose of the legislation was to remove "Sataurday Night Specials" from the street. The effect, and I suggest the aim of the gun control nuts who are firmly established in CA government, has been to reduce the number of guns available to citizen of California who can legally own guns. They already started on controlling ammunition. Starting soon (??) you will no longer be able to buy ammo from other states and have it shipped to CA. I believe the CA dealers who sell ammo will have to get trace info for the sale of all ammo. The next addition to gun control in CA is the micro-stamping of the firing pins. The law is not yet in effect because the patent holder of micro stamping will not give up the patent rights and the law states that no single company can be the supplier of such technology. That whole concept is flawed as a trip to the buffing wheel can erase the micro stamping in seconds.

Maybe 1911's will be around for a while longer if the above statement is true but eventually the fees may drive gun manufacturers from the state. Remember every slight variation of the same model gun has to pay the fees in full and submit a couple of guns to be destroyed (for initial certification). As manufacturers drop old guns and add new ones, the list of certified CA guns will dwindle, in my opinion.

LDBennett
  7. Popeye

Popeye New Member

8. HRHFT

HRHFT New Member

Here is a thread from Springfield.

Too bad. Hi-cap mags down to ten rounds is a minor issue and the gun should pass the DOJ’s little test. Oh well.

From: Vickie Baele [mailto:vickieb@springfield-armory.com]
    Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 1:33 PM
    To:
    Subject: RE: Sales Email - Sent: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:29:24 -0700 - XD(M)

Ross

I am afraid due to the high capacity mag and nothing in the works at this time
    Nothing is going to change with the XD(M) shipping to California.

Thank You,
    Vickie
    Customer Service
    800-680-6866
    Springfield Armory

Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 8:24 AM
    To: Vickie Baele
    Subject: Sales Email - Sent: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:29:24 -0700 - XD(M)

I have had a ton of customers asking when the XD(M) will be here, in California. I know it's a pain in the ass, but you're missing out on a strong market. As an example, I teach CCW and tactical and every class I have taught in the last six months has 25% of the students with XD's. The other 75% is all over the board. And when I do get someone with an XD(M) everyone is all over it wanting to have a go at it. Ross
  9. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

It's unfortunate that CA residents can't get some of the better pistols available on the market due to the laws. I don't see the XDM making it to CA. There isn't much of a point with the major selling factor being lost (mag capacity). The trigger is a little better and the barrel is a better. You can make those modifications to a regular XD.

The restriction on ammo sales from out of state is a unnecessary law and I'm hoping it will be repealed.
  10. LDBennett

The list of CA Certified Springfields is at:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

I don't see an XDM on the list (??).

The complete list is at:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

No laws put into place in CA to control guns or gun related items has EVER been repealed, to the best of my knowledge. The ammo law will remain well beyond my days. What has happened with laws like the Assault Weapons Ban is smart people have found loop holes that the legislature has not been able to stop through their incompetence, ignorance, or inability to do anything meaningful because of partisan politics (we still don't have a CA budget months after the CA Constitution deadline). Loop holes are GOOD!

A couple of examples of their ignorance is that evidence was presented to show how ineffective micro-stamping of firing pins would be and they passed the law anyway. Another example is the failure of "ammo" laws in Canada or Australia (??) that those places have found to be too expensive and repealed the laws. The CA Legislature had those facts and passed the laws anyway ... STUPID. The cost of those two laws alone will be huge and give no results. And this is in the light of California being on the brink of insolvency. The DEM's in power haven't a clue.

LDBennett
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

"Imported for sale." Does that mean that a dealer just can't bring it into the state to sell to someone right?

As far as these regulations go, it doesn't say anything that you can't go into another state and bring it back. You're not selling it to anybody.
  12. LDBennett

For a dealer to get any firearm shipped into CA he has to get a letter of approval from the DOJ. If the signed approved letter is not in the shipment when it arrives in CA then the CA dealer must not accept it and return it to sender. Once here he can not sell a hangun new or used unless it is on the CA Certified List. He can sell it if it is over 50 years old as it becomes a Curio and Relic. Certain Olympic style gun are excluded and are listed on a special list of exceptions.

There may be some states whose dealers will sell to a non-resident but Nevada is not one of them. I am not sure about Arizona but I suspect they too will not sell to a CA resident.

Are there ways to skirt the law? Of course, but they probably are illegal. The CA legislature has worked overtime to get total control on all handguns and they are now working on rifles (but not there yet). The also will control handgun ammunition sales, as well, next year.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010