New Surefire Flashlight

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Jul 27, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The older I get, the smaller my flashlights get. Just a brief report for anyone interested on the relatively new Surefire 'Backup'.

I have always seen a flashlight as essential and almost never go out without one, or two. The new gen flashlights are about as far from my Dads old two cell as the C47 is from the shuttle. A week ago I got the very small 'Backup' and it is really excellent. Two levels of light, the low more than enough for maps, pathways etc. The high almost tactical, enough to destroy an opponents night vision pretty decisively.

Not cheap, but good kit rarely is. Recommended.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I have several lights. These are indispensable in several situations. Of course, proper training on how to use a light is important as well.
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Ok tranter which surefire do you have?
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The new one is the E1B Back up. I also own and use the L1 Lumamax and M2 Centurion.

Each has it's own job. The M2 is a high powered (120 Lumens) weapon light. It is the most expensive, but is shock isolated. The L1 is a great all rounder with two useful levels of light. I actually got by just fine between those two, but on reading about the new 'Backup' wanted to give one a try. It now goes most places I do in my jacket pocket. If out for a while, the L2 comes along as well.

Some may call it overkill, but then I am the sort who numbers and rotates magazines as well, and I just call that common sense.

On the subject of flashlights and common sense, I also keep a couple of 2x AA Maglights around, because CR123 batteries are less available than AAs which are cheap and everywhere.

Like DOC1911, I have a few. I think of them like a spare wheel, you dont expect to need one, but when you do it best be there and work.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Tranter
    You should try one of my DeLights. Brighter than the Surefires, run on AAA batteries, and cost about half what the Surefires cost. They are not as "heavy duty" as the SF lights, but most people don't need that.
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

OK. $149 for a flashlight? $249? OMG. Sorry, I am a newb........and I am going to ask. Why? No I haven't tried one. I can see that coming up. I did a little research. Just a little. I am actually in the market for a good little flashlight, but there is no way on God's Green Earth that I am going to spend that kind of cash on a flashlight. Well.....at least until I have tried one out.

How about the TK20? Seems reasonably priced. I can see spending $50. And telling the wife I spent $20. Is that wrong?:)
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I agree with Bill DeShivs, most people dont need the strength and performance, so dont need to pay that much. I got into the habit of buying the very best I could afford when it comes to kit I may depend on. These small, powerful flashlights can also stand in as a self defence tool, temporarily blinding an attacker and giving you time to take other action. Not a gun, but there are many places you cant go with a gun or knife, including on a aircraft.

I view these as a lifetime purchase, an investment that should last longer than I do. There are things to economise on, and then there are others.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

If you need a good, waterproof, tactical light, Surefire makes one that is about the same price as the Delight. They run on cr123 batteries. The Delight is brighter, has a focusable beam, and runs on 3 AAA batteries, but it is not waterproof. For most people it is all the flashlight they will ever need.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  9. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Pharmor check out the LED flash lights by Cabela. They are aluminum and waterproof. I have one about 3 1/2" long and it has 2 brightness settings. Not SureFire or Streamlight but still a decent light.
  10. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

My CCW light is a Surefire G2 ($34). As it comes, that is 65 lumens and is pretty bright. I added the 120 lumen lamp ($25), it takes 15 seconds to drop in and makes the light a non-lethal weapon at close range. From across a parking space at night or dark room it will wipe out your target's vision. At 20 feet it's like pressing you eyeballs to a truck's high-beams. So I leave the 120 lamp in always.

I carry it in a Raines pouch ($12), with 2 spare batteries.

At 120 lumen, that's about 20 minutes of effective light for 2 batteries. The 123 lithium batteries cost $12 for 6 or $4 for 2. (Surefire comes with a pair inside; never by one if it doesn't include the first batteries.)

So for $83 I carry my G2 and spare 2 spare batteries. In perspective, my CCW light is still cheaper than any of my wife's trips to JC Penny or Stage. Hell, I bought a new pair of summer weight Belleville boots today and the cheapest pair was $99.

About those $150 and $250 lights. What you get with those is less size, weight, and most important, multi or dual mode lights. That is, you can use it like a normal light and extend the battery life 3x, or use it like a tac light which is a weapon in its own category really.

My G2...it's just good for turning night to day. I wouldn't use it to try and read in the car at night or such...but in any limited visibility emergency it's worth the $83 to have it on my belt when I'm not at work.

I use the $300 lights at work. But Uncle Sam buys those. Mounted under a PEQ-15A, I suppose Surefires are chump change. I've been accustomed to those lights, and can say fairly confidently, that in CCW use most of the features on those you won't need with maybe the exception for those that demand the smallest and lightest 120 lumen device.

If you really wanted to go cheaper...I saw the Streamlight Scorpions recently. It's a 120 lumen LED light about the size of a G2. Brightest LED I ever saw. Uses the same batteries but runs about 3 hours, supposedly. They are less than $50. Make sure you find the Scorpion C4, it meets the DoD minimum specs. If I was boycotting Surefire, a C4 would be my next choice.

Tranter said something I really think is very wise. A light like a Surefire is an investment. And he said there are things to economise on and things not.

You either understand value vs need or you don't. Some people will buy a $1,500 Italian bird gun or a $900 deer rifle, but then buy a $30 Chinese knife. Which are you likely to need more often? A good knife of course.

Same thing with a light. A $600 CCW pistol and either no light or some $10 Wal-Mart mag-light? It does not get a good grade on the common sense exams.

One last thing. An insanely bright light in your hand applied at the onset of a confrontation can cause a threat to retreat before you even need to present your pistol. That alone is worth a lot of $$.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  11. techoca

techoca New Member

I was in the market for a reasonably priced flashlight, after reading this post I bought one of Bill DeShivs Delight flashlights. I am very pleased with the light and the belt pouch was an unexpected surprise. The light is very bright and the beam is focusable by pulling forward on the bezel. The Delight should serve as a nice addition to my self defense battery.
  12. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I also have a couple of Bill's DeLights and they are a bargain. I think that a plus for any flashlight is that it runs on universally available batteries. What's more universal than AAA batteries?
  13. techoca

techoca New Member

The AAA batteries are a plus for me too, we always have spares in the kitchen drawer.

I agree with Tranter and Delta as well, but for me I thought this would be a good option and i believe the delight will do a good job.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  14. Johnny Knoxville

Johnny Knoxville New Member

There are many reasonably priced LED lights out there.

These guys cover the waterfront for a variety of vendors and their own brand 4 Sevens.

I have 3 Fenix lights and some 4Sevens on order. Some are AA some are AAA and I have a couple that are 123A.

www.4sevens.com

The online discount code for an 8% discount is CPF8.

[​IMG]

Some are not much bigger than the battery itself.

This pocket light in 2XAAA is 160 Lumens OTF (out the front).

[​IMG]

Accessories that come with the 4Sevens lights, at least the larger ones.

[​IMG]
  15. Cincinnatus

Cincinnatus New Member