New taurus owner with review

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by thunderstruck507, Aug 21, 2007.

1. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

Well today I woke up and decided it was good day to buy a gun. Being a 22 year old college kid thats a lot more rare than it probably is for a lot of you guys.

So I went and checked out the PT1911 for the billionth time and bit the bullet to buy it.

$589 out the door wasn't too bad I guess for a gun new in the box, in the factory bags...never been touched since it left the factory or whatever.

I broke it down and cleaned it to remove factory lube which was seaping everywhere. Used CLP.

I ran 100 rounds of remington cheap stuff through it, the first 2 mags it was shooting a 3" group that was also about 3 inches left of the point of aim at about 20 yards.

By the time I was down to the last 2 mags of ammo I had, I was jumping cans and bottles at 7-10 yards.

One of the mags is very stiff and the blue scratched along the slide where it meets the frame on one side. Other than that...no complaints. No jams or other issues at all.

The trigger is extremely light IMO for a stock gun. Its quick and crisp like my modified colt king cobra.

I'm very pleased and wouldn't have any reserve about recommending it to others.
  2. vulcrider

vulcrider New Member

I, too have become a new PT1911 owner. Haven't shot it yet due to the weather but am very impressed with the gun.
    Sure beats buying a basic gun and spending tons to make it better when the factory does it for you at such a low price. Hope the preice dosen't reflect the quality.
  3. thunderstruck507

I'm not worried based on what I've seen so far...it was either this or a rock island with quite a few mods that would add up quick.

A marine friend of mine had a kimber with a rail that I shot side by side today and I mean I could tell a definate difference and liked his night sights a lot better (his gun was also noticeably more accurate so far) but didin't think I did too bad at all for what I paid. No buyers remorse here.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i bought a pt1911, and am very happy with it, however, i changed the hammer and hammer strut to a wilson combat ultralight, and reversed the ambi safety to an STI snag free single, and am planning to add some "custom artwork" ivory grip panels. i particularly like the heinie straight 8's they line up almost automatically ( provided the shooter does his part). and i havnt found anything it wont eat reliably, yet. accuracy is decent, for the price, more than good enough to bounce beer cans in the back yard.
  5. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I really like mine as well though the only thing I've done to it has been to replace the factory grips with a set of Hogues.

www.taurusarmed.net
  6. thunderstruck507

up to 400 rounds with no hiccups
  7. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I can't wait to get one...I'm waiting for the one with the tac-rail though...