New Taurus Slim-line

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by patrol, Apr 18, 2009.

1. patrol

patrol New Member

Anyone shot one of those new model of Taurus slim 9mm or 380's??
  2. patrol

patrol New Member

one of the reasons i seldom visit this site anymore...come on guys..atleast talk about the new models..geezz
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'm very interested but went to Taurus's website earlier and it was down. Don't bash this website. Bash that of Taurus's... :(
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Here's the website touting the Taurus Slim Line. I hope this helps others to understand what the heck the original poster is ranting about...

http://www.taurususa.com/2009newcatalog/

Since the website is back up and operating and all... :D
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think the wind is out of our collective sails because the new models are impossible to get over the counter, and the ammunition is going extinct...
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have not shot one, though wouldn't expect any surprises. Taurus these days are well made and reliable. I would expect them to be uncomfortable to use a lot, being small, but then thats not what they are designed for.

It raises a question, when does small become too small? I guess it depends on what you want it for. If its concealed carry, a medium frame will do most of the time. Short of hot weather/less clothes or undercover deep carry (or just for fun), few will need such a compact.

Its always interested me, ask yourself what reasoning you used to select the gun you have? You compromise with handguns, in this case for small size. Was it worth it? Not if it's a night stand gun....

Re the Taurus, bit disappointing to see the borrowed Glock take down pins.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I own a couple of the Taurus hand guns, and like them. They do what they are supposed to do. Will they do it as long as some of the more expensive guns? Maybe, maybe not, but I rather think that they will. I have looked at these slim guns form Taurus, and think that they might have a seller or two in the bunch. The .45 didn't impress me that much except that it carries 13 rounds. Looking at the weight, and overall length, you're still carrying a 1911A. My .45 is single stack, with anything in magazines, form 7 - 20. 7 rounds being what's usually carried. Double stack it and you double the capacity, but you also add a lot of weight.

As to the second post by Patrol, take a look at the date of the first post, and then the second? He was only asking if anyone had shot one these new guns, and nobody made a reply of any kind, even after about 20 hours!
  8. patrol

patrol New Member

I know. You guys are right. Im sorry, I should have just asked if anyone was familiar with them or held one of them. (Ponycar 17) i do not intend to be rude when i post no link,quite frankly i just dont have the computer skills at knowing how to do this. Im sorry if I offended. There is a great deal of logic also in not compromising size for a life saving tool (TranterUK)which is why I seldom carry anything smaller than 40sw caliber off duty with exception to my Jframe, but the flipside of this is todays superior quality in bullet performance in defensive rounds not to mention already existing frangible rounds that do very nasty things even in small calibers. The fact is regardless of caliber, a handgun is a secondary weapon anyway. As for the ammo shortages, that is due to people responding franically over Obamas appointment as well a a liberal congress. I just pray it is not warranted and the NRA and folks like us with common sense sway those libs to stay away from our 2nd ammendment rights.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I apologize for my snappiness. I just didn't understand your getting angry at the forum and members when you didn't point to what you were talking about. Please accept my apology. I tend to believe that others know how to do things that they sometimes may not. That's my fault for being a geek.. :eek:
  10. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

To copy a link, just left click once on your URL window to highlight it, right click, click "copy", then click again when you want to post it and hit "paste".
  11. patrol

patrol New Member

http://www.taurususa.com/2009newcatalog/ hahaha...there I did it!!! THANK YOU BESTSELLER..i even did it my fist time, coolbeans...that was neat. thank you. The .380 looks like it will be a huge seller for a pocket pistol or for us in L.E. to have a back up.
  12. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Nice job patrol! Thanks for the link.
  13. lineofduty

lineofduty New Member

I purchased a 709 Slim (blued) in May 2010.

There are a lot of very cool features in this firearm. Everything I was pleased with except for two very important things:
    1) Mine shoots low and left by apx 7-8 inches at 10ft.
    2) The adjustible sights got it to about 5-6inches low and almost center.

I showed the dealer and he said it was me at which point I pulled out my CZ 75-D Compact and put 4 through the same hole dead center with fixed sights. Handed the range master the Slim and watched him fire everything low left as I did. (of course I told him it was contageous).

Calling support. "Sir, it is probably your shooting ...". To make a long story short it wasn't hard for me to convince them to take the gun back to see if they can fix it. After all I just paid total cost $475 for it at a reputable dealer.

-------------

The good ... for as small as it is it feels and looks substancial. If you were a bad guy it would be intimidating seeing the front end of this with that 9mm hole on the small appearing gun. Like an optical illusion it would look like a 40 or better. Very deceiving in appearance ... nice design.

It is easily said that this is the smoothest firing small pistol I'd shot. Here my expectations were far exceeded. It feels more like a full size firearm than a small tomcat or ruger 22/32.

It is small, light and easily concealable with its single stack mag. You could put it in your pocket without a problem (...and just about forget it is there).

The Slim has rounded edges all over the pistol preventing it from hanging up on anything.

It is a nice looking firearm and has meat where it counts in the barrel and parts around it.

There are many more features but these are the ones I liked ... oh yea, it has a thumb safety too -- my wife likes this. Trying to explain any other way she doesn't understand. But when she ask's, "Does it have a safety?" I can now answer yes.

Hope this helps.
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

From what I hear, Taurus has a pretty good reputation. The only gun they make that I don't really like is the PT92. I've shot their PT1911 models before and couple of their revolvers. The grips on the PT1911 aren't that great, but it's a good gun. Has lots of bells and whistles at a great price. I know quite a few people on here like those Millennium Pro and 24/7 guns Taurus makes. Never tried them myself.
  15. donhudd

donhudd New Member

I have shot and own a 709 Slim (9mm). I am pleasantly surprised at the ease of operation and reasonable recoil. Apparantly the dual recoil spring setup has a good effect on recoil. Functioning is 100% thru approx 500 rounds of mixed ball and JHP in 3 weights. It does shoot a little low (4 in at 15 yards). I do not see this as a great problem for self defense. I have fairly large hands and my pinky finger curls under the butt. I added a slip-on rubber grip with finger grooves to get a little more depth on the grip to better fit my hand. My biggest complaint is that they do not offer a similar sized 45.

16. JBozeman

JBozeman New Member

Just found this thread,

I have a 709 and love it as it is easy to conceal and a joy to shoot unlike a PF9 that kicks like a mule as it so small. My 709 is very accurate and once I got through a problem with a mag, it has been a great addition to my collection.
  17. gmcprsm

gmcprsm New Member

I recently purchased a 709 and have the same accuracy problems indicated in lineofduty's post above. I'm still trying to work it out at the range. One of the things I found disconcerting was the long travel pull of the trigger. The first time I fired it I thought it was malfunctioning. That long pull is something I'll have to get used to.
  18. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Sorry to hear that you've had a hard time with the PT-92, I have a PT-99 (adjustable sights) and it has been a good firearm. The first round trigger pull is a little long for me, but besides that I have had no issues with it. I find that funny since I carry a Kahr (known for long trigger pull). But the PT-99 eats everything that I put in it and it and it is more accurate that I am.
  19. GunsForSale.com

GunsForSale.com New Member

I had a chance to shoot the 740 (.40 S&W version) earlier this week. It was reliable with everything, and reasonably accurate. Although manageable, the recoil was stronger than the 709.

Flatter than a revolver, six rounds of .40, and decent sights. Not a bad package.
  20. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

By now the Taurus Slim must have the bugs worked out of it... I have wondered about the 9mm myself.