New test results for cast bullets.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Feb 19, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

I tried a new powder (red dot) 3.0 grns as per Speer's #13 manual. It worked just fine. I recovered the bullet and the base is the same as when I reloaded it. It also passed through 14 inches of packed dirt, but did not hit the metal plate on the bottom of the bucket the bullet was just fine no mushrooming. Due to the reduced load.

I then tried a load of 2.5 grns of red dot, It worked just fine again it passed through 14 inches of packed dirt and hit the bottom of the bucket. I recovered the bullet and no problems. I checked the barrel and the cylinder throats there were no problems.

Both loads when they went off sounded like a .22 magnum (not very loud at all).

I have tried this load (3 grns of red dot) in a 4 5/8 Taurus revolver and had very good accuracy at 35 yards
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, if your not melting the base of the bullets then there is no problem. How many rounds this time? When making up a load, change ONE variable at a time. Make sure you stay above the minimum loads stated in your reloading manual!!!!!
  3. frosty

frosty New Member

A grand total of 4 rounds. Yes, I know that is not enough. Today I will try 50 of each powder to get the most out of each type of load.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2004