new thread, old question, ccw's

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Welshman, May 21, 2010.

1. Welshman

Welshman New Member

So, I'm looking to buy my first gun, a ccw, and I need some advice to find one that fits the bill. I have a limited budget, $300 or less. I have limited carry options, namely my slacks front pocket, since I don't wear a suit jacket. Biggest problem is that my pockets are fairly large and the material is thin. This makes it very easy for a even a pocket pistol to leave a print. I found a couple of options, but am rather unfamiliar with the world of firearms. I liked the feel of the Taurus TCP.380, and my local gunshop has it for $300. It didn't print, and it felt comfortable in my hand. But I've seen good reviews for a lot of other ccw's here and elsewhere, so I thought I'd get some input. I tried a Beretta 3032, but it make a noticable print, even despite its size. The Bersa Thunder .380 was nice, but I also have to able to fit my wallet in the same pocket. I haven't been able to get to a range, so I don't know the feel of any of the potential options, but something the same size/weight as the TCP.380 seems to best. Maybe a small bit bigger. I'm not concerned about kick, just a good defensive ccw that I can afford.

Suggestions/advice?

Oh, and before we start, not a fan of revolvers.

Thanks!
  2. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Kel-Tec P3AT. It's right in your price range and is the smallest .380 made. It comes with a lifetime warranty. It's not fun to shoot and not a range gun but it conceals well and mine has been flawless in over 300 rounds. Kel-Tec just came out with a 9-shot mag. for it. Standard is 6 and you can get a finger extension that adds one more. They are made right here in FL.
  3. Welshman

Welshman New Member

Gun Geezer: What ammo do you use? I've seen people post awesome reviews of a gun, then someone else uses a different ammo, and the gun goes bad in a hurry. How picky is the P3AT in your experience?
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Get a pocket holster for a small gun, they prevent printing.
  5. Welshman

Welshman New Member

I'm nervous about pocket holsters, because some of my pockets are very baggy, some not as much. I'm just worried that friction or pocket-catch holster would be a problem disengaging if they tip in the pocket. Either way, without any experience or practice, I'm withholding a decision on them, and planning for going without.
    I'm not trying to be difficult, just very nervous about making sure I start carrying in the safest manner possible. If I come across argumentative, feel free to smack me upside the head. :)
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I would never put a firearm in my pocket, especially with other objects like keys or wallet, without a holster. To me, that is the safest way to carry. Pocket holsters are made for quick release of the firearm. Holsters keep objects from obstructing the trigger when you need it, as well.
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  7. Welshman

Welshman New Member

Good point. Like I said, I'm really nervous about carrying, but between my job and moving to a new house I feel it's pretty important.
  8. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think we should be nervous about carrying, to some degree. It is a huge responsibility to carry, conceal and secure the firearm at all times.
  9. Welshman

Welshman New Member

It's the "secure" part I'm mostly worried about. I have a very energetic two-year-old boy at home, so the idea of a firearm means both protecting him and my wife, and the possibility of him finding/grabbing for it. I suppose that makes some form of holster that much more important.
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Yes, that is another reason a holster is important, as well as keeping the gun secure and always knowing exactly where it is. I keep the guns locked up when my nieces and nephews are around, but they are older and don't even know I have firearms along.
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

DO NOT put your wallet or anything else in the same pocket as the gun. If you must pocket carry, then use a holster. They are designed to be used in the pocket and will not slip'n'slide around as you fear.

The most important feature of the gun is that it fits you and you are comfortable with it. I carry a very large semi, because I can, even though I am quite skinny. Others cannot carry but a smaller gun for various reasons. If it fits you and you can shoot it reasonably well, it is the right one for you.

The youngster in the house presents some restrictions. If the gun is in your pocket AND the pocket is on you, it is safe. If you are not wearing the pocket, the gun should be secured where the little one cannot get to it. The little touch-key safes are good for that, in many situations.

Welcome to the club of responsibility. :D

Pops
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  13. Welshman

Welshman New Member

So, would that work to conceal a weapon if I'm not wearing a jacket? Seems to me that the grip would still be visible, though I could probably tuck it next to my cell phone case. But if it would work, then it opens up larger gun options.

I appreciate the advice, but for goodness sake, I was trying to narrow my options. :)

Seriously, though, it puts a few more powerful sidearms on the table, which I can't really complain about. Are there reliable larger caliber guns for $300 or less? A larger gun would be better for Home Defense too, I would think.

That's why I'm here. I'm really lost in all of this.
  14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

As I said, the best gun is the one which fits you and your psyche. That said ... ;)

Some of the belly band holsters are intended to be worn under your shirt. Some are just low on your hips and your trousers cover all but the grip. The problem I have with the under-shirt style is that I'm left handed and that makes it awkward to reach inside, unless I'm wearing a woman's shirt. No thank you. :D

I carry IWB and always wear a vest. I don't wear the suit style vests, but the square-tailed decorative vests. Style B or C, with a couple of fishing weights in the bottom hem.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2510-missmen-separates.aspx

I have made several, of different materials for different blend-into-the-crowd doings. Most of the time, any more, I'm wearing a photographer's vest, but I still have to dress up, once in awhile. I make them with pockets both inside and outside and have made some that were reversible. The vests are handy in their own right. FirstInLine used to make them for sale and they were quite popular.

You might want to look around for used guns, also. If you exercise a modicum of care, you can often find a very fine weapon for your use in a shop or on line. If you buy from a gun shop, you will be in good hands, usually. If you buy from a pawn shop, get to know the shop first and make sure they know something about guns.

I carry a Ruger P85 (9mm) or a Dan Wesson Trooper in .357. I can get away with it because of the area in which I live and the way I dress. You will have to use what fits what you insist on wearing, or, change your mode of dress. I've carried into some situations where the other people in the crowd would have been appalled to find that there was a gun on the premises, much less on my person. It does take forethought and practice, though.

This is a very good organization and the magazine is worth the membership fee.

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Pops
  15. Welshman

Welshman New Member

Thanks for the info. My mode of dress is usually defined by my workplace, and unfortunately vests and suit-coats are generally a no-go. But I think the belly-band probably could still work. I sorta fixated on pocket-carry, partially because I know so few of the options.

If anything, this forum is going to push me into more research to learn a heck of a lot more about guns in general before I move forward. Signed up for this forum today, and it's already shown me how little I really know.