NEW TO AR STYLE RIFLES AND I NEED SOME HELP!

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Therealmccoy, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Therealmccoy

Therealmccoy New Member

Ok im thinking about getting me a Bushmaster m4 type patrolman's carbine with the A3 sights so i have a couple questions about it before i make the big step and getting something i thought was what i wanted.

i want options which is why ive been wanting to get an Ar style rifle because i heard the combination's are pretty much endless when it comes to personalizing the rifle.

1. am i going to be able to remove the front sight on the rifle so they don't get in the way of some good optics?

2. are all of bushmasters AR style rifles made from the same type of material because it seems i see some that are really black and some that are made of a lighter looking material. (could just be the lighting in the picture)

3.i really like the thicker fore end grip style they have on the colt rifles am i going to be able to change the fore end of the bushmaster?

4. are the bushmaster barrels interchangeable? say if i wanted to go to a longer barrel if i felt like doing longer range shooting?

pretty much what im asking is what parts of the rifle are not able to be changed? or is this rifle pretty much a fully customizable platform which i can change to suit any style of shooting i want as i progress.

sorry for all the questions im just very new to the Ar style rifles and i just want to know before i spend the hard earned money on it.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Frankly I would not begin my quest with Bushmaster on a bad day.
  3. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i had a bushmaster A2 rifle and it was a great weapon. you can purchase seperate upper receivers to go on your lower so you have differant barrel/sight options. any standard carbine forend will replace the bushmaster forend.
  5. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

Check out the RRA NMA2...you can't go wrong...it's never failed me after a whole lot-o-rounds fired through it. A friend of mine bought a BM last year and it just doesn't seem to be as good of a weapon.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I never had anything but great luck with my bushmaster xm15e2s, a great rifle. what really works for your situation is all the available uppers you can find for different apps, two takedown pins and you are on to the next configuration (standard for any ar15) I agree also with the rock river, its going to be a tad higher priced but what a nice weapon. I just cant get on that DPMS train yet, constantly fumbling over issues in the forum with performance, jams, grumbling and sending back to factory etc etc.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Bushmaster and it is a great rifle, mine is one of the gas piston system. You could get the flattop like this one and just fold down the front sight.

If you are going to do all the changing of everything, why don't you just have one built the way you want it from the get-go, from where ever you might end up buying it?
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  8. USMARINE1884

USMARINE1884 New Member

My advice is to build one!. You can go to sarco inc. and get a complete kit minus lower reciever the kit comes with everything for the lower but not the lower itself and comes with the upper its DPMS and its like $465 and a lower you can get for $50 now thats $515 for a great rifle instead of $1200 for a brand name. The best part of building your new ar15 is that you can swap out a few parts if you want without having to take it all apart just do it from the start! I have built 3 one m4 clone one a4 clone and a SAMR (m16 military designated marksmen rifle) clone. The most was the SAMR and it was $865 with a new match grade barrel.
  9. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I know this is about three weeks old, but. I have two Bushmasters in .223, and one DPMS in .308 and have no problems with either brand. I feel that rifles and anything else you buy are the same in that there are good and bad in all. I would recommend from personal experience either brand. I have had Colt and paid that high price and don't feel there is a hills worth of beans between them and Bushmaster. JMHO
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

They're all pretty much 'customizable'.
    All manufacturers have their followers and detractors.
    Longer barrel does not equate to better accuracy. YOU do however.

Front sight in the way of a scope?
    I don't even see mine. The focal point of the scope renders the front sight invisible. I know it looks like it's smack dab in the way, but you won't see it.

[​IMG]