New to BP pistol with a question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by shvlrydr, Oct 27, 2012.

1. shvlrydr

shvlrydr New Member

I guess since this is my first post I should introduce myself. My name is Dan and I live in northern Indiana. I have been around guns most of my life but recently was given a black powder pistol and am having a little trouble identifying it. It is a Uberti repo imported by Allen F. A., that much I can find on the frame. I went to the Uberti website and it looks just like the 1849 Colt pocket pistol but on the site it says they are .31 and my barrel is clearly marked .36. Then I saw the Navy pocket at .36 but the website says the barrel is 5 1/2" and mine is 4 1/2. I am attaching a few pics to help out. Does anyone have a clue as to what I have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

A 51 Navy somebody cut the barrel down on and installed a different sight. BTW you didn't need to remove or even loosen the wedge screw to remove the barrel. All it does on repros is prevent the wedge from coming completely out during disassembly.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Shvlrydr, welcome to the forum. You've stumbled on a great place with lots of helpful people. Hawg knows lots about bp shooting; there are lots of other people who are helpful as well. Everyone is glad to share their knnowledge and help out whatever way they can. This place becomes addicting...be careful!!
  4. hiker.wild

hiker.wild New Member

any picts on the rest of it ?
    heres a shot of my 1851 navy colt.....
    fun gun...slow to load quick to fire............

Attached Files:

5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the Police version of the navy had a short barrel 3 1/2 " AND 4 1/2"

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Ummm, Jack. That's a Remington pocket .31
  7. shvlrydr

shvlrydr New Member

here is a couple of pictures of the whole gun, the frame is case hardened steel and the back strap and trigger guard are nickel plated, no brass on this anywhere...actually went out to the range and shot it yesterday, lots of fun for very little money but it does take some time to load.

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

OK that's better. That's a copy of an early Police model that was made around 1860-61 before the round barreled 62 model. I didn't know Uberti made such an animal and it could be one somebody put together.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  9. shvlrydr

shvlrydr New Member

I want to thank all of you for the knowledge...I know it's not worth a whole lot but it is fun to shoot so I guess it'll have to stay around for a while.

thanks again,
    Dan