New to firearms-Advice

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by honkey, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

First off, pawn shops (at least the ones in Virginia and Maryland) expect offers for items--they price accordingly. They'd like you to buy something at the advertised price but will often come down considerably--they would rather make $100 today than $200 in six months. If they are asking $300, offer them $225 CASH IN HAND. Do your homework, take notes on what they have, find out what they retail for and then make a decent offer. Most revolvers are not good for concealed carry simply because the cylinders are too wide and those that are will have short barrels, which reduces velocity and accuracy. I don't hog hunt, but I'd much rather quickly chamber a second round in a bolt action than have to put that gun aside and whip out a sidearm. And I don't think you'd want a .38 anyway. It is plenty gun to kill a hog with a properly placed shot, but not as likely to drop one in its tracks as would a magnum.
  2. honkey

honkey New Member

I have done a little bit more googling and what I have found is that rifle is also called a Mossberg ATR100 and it has good reviews from what I have seen. Sounds like I have picked a rifle. Now I need to figure out what to get for my handgun.
  3. honkey

honkey New Member

Yeah, I came to that realization today when I was looking at the Mossberg rifle. It holds 4 rounds, so I think it is a good deal for a hog hunting gun. I am pretty set on a revolver for my hand gun though. It might just be because I haven't been around guns, but for some reason revolvers seem more safe to me.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have stayed out of this one because I have zero experience with hog hunting. But from what I have read and been told, they are tough critters, so I would think a .44 Magnum would be about right and nothing less than a .357 would work; a 9mm or a .38 Special, unless placed exactly in the right place, would only make a big boar mad. And I strongly agree with your dad to start with a .22 handgun to learn. If you start with a handgun big enough to take out a hog, you might well develop a flinch that will be hard to overcome.

I would not try to make one gun do for hog hunting and concealed carry. While a big .357 or .44 will have more than enough power for personal protection, it would also be very noticeable under anything but a thick overcoat. Even with a CCW license, it is usually better to keep a concealed weapon concealed; I have little use for displaying a gun to show off or "make a statement".

Jim
  5. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever Member

For the sake of argument you can easily drop a hog with nothing more that a 22. It all depends on placement of the bullet. I usually carry a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. That way you dont have to be so precise where the bullet strikes. The outer layer of cartilage protecting a feral hogs upper body is very hard to penetrate with smaller rounds. The 12ga slug has a lot of knock down force, so close counts.

An option you may not have considered as a rifle choice is something that shoots military rounds. They are abundantly cheap and very capable of dropping hogs, and deer. A 762x39 round that fits a Ruger Mini-30, and many others available easily penetrates thru a living Oak tree trunk over 10 inches thick. It comes out the same size as entered. Kinda scary considering watching all of the shoot em up movies with people using AK-47's while ducking behind car doors, walls and furniture.

Hunting feral hogs is fun tho. Like any other animal, I only shoot for food. And a hog makes for a lot of good food. Its lean as any beef you can buy. If you grind some of it up, makes fantastic burgers.

I would highly recommend you and your brother taking a complete gun safety course at a local range. Its well worth the investment. Do you remember the four basic rules of firearm safety from boy scouts? If they dont immediately roll off your tongue, that should be a sign right there. For shooting a 22, you can never fire too many rounds thru one. Its the backbone of becoming proficient at shooting a firearm. I own more 22 rifles than any other caliber.

I am curious why you are so adamant about wanting a 357 or 44 magnum as a main sidearm? I doubt you will be able to hit the side of a barn shooting either one if out hunting feral hogs. They are also really expensive to shoot. It takes a lot of practice to become accustomed to the recoil of them. This adversely affects your chance of shot hitting the intended target. Just some input tho. I have a 44 mag, and it dont see much practical use. More of a novelty for me. When I go shooting with some friends, someone will usually ask if I am going to bring the "big gun"? I respond gladly if they will purchase the rounds. So it usually stays at home. You can easily spend more on ammo in a very short time than what you pay for the pistol.

These are just my opinions here, and like a**holes, most everyone has one.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

I believe that I will answer your post in 2 parts. First, before you do anything, LEARN TO SHOOT!!! I do not intend to be insulting, but in the world of guns it is always safety first. Talk to the range owner, get a instructor, take lessons from an old guy or buy a handgun class for Christmas. Your brother/brother-inlaw ect... is fine except that they are not the professional training that you need to "get up to speed" in this hobby. If you want to learn to shoot & hunt get a condensed course from a guy that knows how to teach.I have been shooting for 40 years and have learned a lot, I also learned that I am a poor instructor for my own kids.

Now I will get off my soapbox, as far as your choices the .22 is the best all around tool to learn to shoot a gun with, period.

Next, the .357 mag is a good all around choice; but a hunting gun and a carry gun are two different requirements. If you want a hunting .357 look at a 6 inch barrel, Taurus and Ruger may be your best priced guns. Be advised that you can shoot 38 spl from a .357 and learn to shoot the larger (than .22) caliber gun.

As far as a rifle, DO NOT BUY USED, the reason is that you do not have the knowledge to avoid a poor decision. Look at the "package" savage or remington rifle/scope combos at the big box stores; they are new rifles and are good entry level guns. The Mossberg is a good choice, and is the same type of entry rifle I mentioned.
    The choice of caliber is yours to make, .308 is fine, 30-06 is fine and .270 is also on the short list; these calibers will take all common game in North America. Plan to buy a good bit of ammo and a cleaning kit with a good bore cleaner, you need to spend some time at the rifle range and know how to clean your gun when finished.
    Maybe you could learn to shoot a rifle with a .22 and save money, but you will have to learn to shoot whatever you buy and get used to the recoil.

Welcome aboard and have fun.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  7. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member