The Firearms Forum banner

New to firearms and thinking of buying a .22 rifle

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  bamajoey 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm brand spanking new to the world of firearms as I just went shooting for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked.

I've taken a safety course at my local shop and am ready to purchase my first firearm, a .22lr bolt action rifle.

After pouring over countless websites and forum threads I've narrowed it to three CZs but I'm having a hell of a time choosing which one would be best for me. I'm mainly interested in this gun as a learning and target gun, but also as something I can keep forever or hand down to someone.

I'm stuck between:

CZ 455 Lux
CZ 452 Ultra Lux
CZ 452 Training Rifle

I love the way the Ultra Lux looks, but it's pretty long. Is that an issue for a new shooter? I'm mostly interested in standing shooting with iron sights, but may throw on a scope in the future.

I've also read a ton of good things about the 455 Lux and the walnut stock looks beautiful.

The CZ 452 Trainer I have on the list because it seems to be the average of both the other guns Also, the tangent sights seem handy.

I'm sure anyone I pick will be great, but was wondering if y'all had any insight for a newbie.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If you can get a 452 Lux or Ultra Lux they have better iron sights than the newer 455's. The 455's are proving to be as accurate as the 452-53's. I have a 452 Lux that is very accurate, but my 455 Varmint is the most accurate 22lr that I have.

The 452-53's are getting harder to find although a shipment of the 452 UL's have recently arrived so if you want one I would not wait another day.

As far as the UL being long it only helps if you are going to use iron sights rather than a scope.

The only difference between the trainer and the Lux is the stock. The trainer is beech and the Lux is walnut. The walnut may be better looking, but the beech is a little more stable.

Which ever one you choose you will not be disappointed.:)

After rereading your post I noticed you are interested in target shooting. The Varmint has a wider stock which would make it a little better from a bench, but it comes without iron sights unless you get the 455 and change barrels.

#4 ·
I mainly interested in standing shooting with sights, I've read the ultra lux can't be beat for that since the added length helps in accuracy. The only real thing holding me back from flat out ordering the the ultra lux is that it's pretty long and don't know if that'd be too long for a newbie.

#5 ·
I don't think the "longness" of the gun would be a problem, unless you're puny (I couldn't think of a nice way to say that). "Newbie" has nothing to do with it. It's just whether your non-shooting arm is strong enough to support the weight of the barrel.

Normally, when "too long" comes up in relation to a long gun, they are worried not so much about a "new" shooter as a "young" shooter or a "female" shooter. The "too long" would be the buttstock. Since buttstocks are designed to fit the "average man" (whoever the hell that is), they are often too long for children or women, who (of course) are normally smaller than men.

The only problem I've ever heard of with a CZ is the dovetails are NOT standard dovetails, and you must use CZ rings if you wish to scope it. CZ rings are kinda expensive.

I have three CZs, and don't have scopes on any of 'em. I have been thinking about doing one, but the 50-dollar rings has always made me change my mind.

#7 ·
I don't think the "longness" of the gun would be a problem, unless you're puny (I couldn't think of a nice way to say that). "Newbie" has nothing to do with it. It's just whether your non-shooting arm is strong enough to support the weight of the barrel.

Normally, when "too long" comes up in relation to a long gun, they are worried not so much about a "new" shooter as a "young" shooter or a "female" shooter. The "too long" would be the buttstock. Since buttstocks are designed to fit the "average man" (whoever the hell that is), they are often too long for children or women, who (of course) are normally smaller than men.

The only problem I've ever heard of with a CZ is the dovetails are NOT standard dovetails, and you must use CZ rings if you wish to scope it. CZ rings are kinda expensive.

I have three CZs, and don't have scopes on any of 'em. I have been thinking about doing one, but the 50-dollar rings has always made me change my mind.
I don't think you must use CZ rings:http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336921

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum. Don't forget the safety and security aspects of gun ownership. Part of the joy of owning firearms is the care and maintenance followed by the securing of them. Keep us posted on how your shooting goes. Then if you get a chance to go to a sporting clay shoot with a shotgun, do it. The whole world awaits you. :)

#13 ·
New to the Forum!
I have 6 - CZ's. The Ultra Lux has a 34" barrel. The Trainer/Lux has a 30" barrel. The CZ varmint .17hmr has no sights and needs a scope, that one has a 20" barrel.
You can't buy a finer gun than a CZ. Perhaps an Anshutz, but that's debatable. The Ultra Lux is a superfine gun because of it's barrel length.

#14 ·
New to the Forum!
I have 6 - CZ's. The Ultra Lux has a 34" barrel. The Trainer/Lux has a 30" barrel. The CZ varmint .17hmr has no sights and needs a scope, that one has a 20" barrel.
You can't buy a finer gun than a CZ. Perhaps an Anshutz, but that's debatable. The Ultra Lux is a superfine gun because of it's barrel length.
Welcome to the forum!

#16 ·
New to the Forum!
Welcome to the forum.
I think if you will check your Ultra Lux you will find that the barrel is 28 in, and the Trainer/ Lux is 24.8 in, at least mine are.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.