New to forum and reloading! Need some help!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by chboro, Nov 7, 2009.

1. chboro

chboro New Member

Hi all,
    Recently joined SASS and a local group & NRA. I read the pro 1000 posts and hope that I don't have some of the problems discussed there. But, it's all I could afford at this point. I'll more than likely move up later. But, right now I'm setting up the 1000 and the thing that's giving me a problem is -

I can't seem to get the expander die to expand the cartridge enough without a huge flare on it. I'm reloading 45 colt, new brass, using 180gr bullets at .452 dia. (so it says on the box)

I can't get the bullets to go in, like I've seen on a bunch of videos on line.

Other items seem to be working ok at this point. But, being new to this it looks like the flare of the expander die is excessive.

I have not moved on to setting up the crimp die yet, until I get this part straightened out. What am I doing wrong?
    Any help appreciated!!
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

sounds like you need to back you expander die off a little. Welcome to the forum, be safe and have fun.
  3. chboro

chboro New Member

Yep. you were exactly right. Being new to this I didn't realize that the factory crimp die also pushed the bullet to proper depth.

Thanks!
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, you'll find a willing and helpful bunch here, ask away and we'll do our best.

Just an example of what I find helpful for me :

1 - make a "dummy" round for setup. if i am loading progressive, I have several cases that i have set aside just for setup; this way the constant belling and rigors of setup adjustments don't lead to overworked brass ending up in my guns.

2 - measure, weight and inspect closely the first 10 rounds and then every 10th round after that make a verification.

3 - do everything deliberately and make your adjustments one at a time and in small increments so that you see the effects of that particular adjustment alone.

4 - when in any doubt at all, reread the manual and dont hesitate to ask.
  5. woolleyworm

THe FCD shouldn't be seating the bullet at all though; the seating die should set it at the proper depth already before using the FCD as the final step in the reloading process.
  6. chboro

chboro New Member

Yeah! thanks for that. the instructions assume I'd have a dummy round laying around just for setup. Unfortunately, I didn't. So, I screwed up 7 cases on the expanding die setup and one on the bullet depth and crimp.

Attached is one of my first reloaded rounds. :)

45 Colt, 180gr

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Attached Files:

7. chboro

chboro New Member

guess I should've mentioned more info on the press I bought.

the pro 1000 that I bought has the following:

Case sizing & deprime in one die
    expand & powder charge in one die
    bullet depth & FCD in one die.
  8. woolleyworm

Now you've got some cases to make some dummy rounds with and if the cases are still in decent shape and within dimensional tolerance, you can use them for set-up.
  9. woolleyworm

The FCD is a seperate die, you'll should have a seater with roll crimp die. the FCD is a seperate die or you can get as a 4 die set.

How do you have your press set up? If you want to use the FCD, just back off your crimp on the seating die and then use the FCD in the next station.

What is the part number on the die set that you have?

I do believe that the Pro 1000 is only avail in a 3 station configuration; unless Lee has changed the design, so FCD would have to be done in a seperate press.

This one is kinda confusing me trying to sort it out, but there will be some others that have more experience with Lee and can visualize it better than I.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  10. chboro

chboro New Member

It is a 3 Die Set.

Station 1 -Case gets fed, then the shell plate goes up it sizes the case and deprimes it.

Station 2 - Primer gets installed on bottom of stroke and powder charge at top.

Station 3 - Directly from my instruction manual - Place a bullet in the case, then lower the lever to seat the bullet and crimp it in place.

For a newbie like me, seems pretty simple. Going to have a friend of mine down the street look at my rounds and load information before I go puttin them in any revolver or rifle.
    Thanks for your assistance and interest!
  11. woolleyworm

Ok, I am understanding what you've got going on now. You are crimping, but you are NOT using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. (The LFCD uses a collet type crimping action) Makes much more sense now. So, yes your seating and crimping IS done in one station. I think you previously stated that you had that adjustment worked out, so just let us know if you run into anything else.

Check the load data vs a couple of books and I like to weigh the completed rounds also to make sure none deviate more than a grain or two as compared to a theoretical round. ( deviation is going to depend on which load I'm working with though, some rifle loads and larger pistol may deviate 5-10 gr and still be in the ballpark of knowing that its not a double charge.) Also make sure that all the primers are seated to just below case a few thou. If there's any doubt, pull the bullet and double check everything.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009