New to forum......asking for information

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Chris C, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Chris C

Chris C New Member

I just joined the forum this morning. I bought two (new-in-box, in plastic) MAK-90 rifles and 7 30-round clips back in the late nineties. I got raped when I bought them and paid way too much. :mad: (my fault for not knowing their real value) So I've just sat on them. I understand the value of these weapons may have risen with the new economic distress. I know little or nothing about assault weapons and bought these only as an investment. Could someone point me in the right direction to finding their present day value. I'd sure like them out of my closet. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Welcome to TFF, Chris. Glad to have you aboard. :)

The MAK 90 is essentially the Chinese variant of the AK-47 sportarized for the American market. In fact, the MAK designation stands for "Modified AK." These weapons were modified to comply with importation requirements in the US, most specifically, they were modified into semi-automatic rather than full automatic weapons. Value is not going to be terribly high, though recent political changes have probably affected their value due to the fear that such weapons may be banned entirely. If yours are NIB, my best guess would be around $450.00 apiece, but that is only a guess. You might visit some of the brandx sights on the Internet and see what they are selling for. Deduct 10%-15% of the advertised price to get a reasonable estimate of current market value.
  3. Chris C

Chris C New Member

Thanks for your reply.

I almost got myself in a pickle this morning! I offered these two MAK-90 rifles to a neighbor for $250 apiece last night. Got on the internet this morning and saw they were selling for upwards of $600!!!!! And that was for the stamped version like I have. I called him first thing after church today and told him I was going to have to retract my offer to sell them. Since I paid too much for them to start with, I didn't really want to sell them for a loss, and the $600 figure is closer to what I paid.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Chris,
    Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

I see you found a value.
    Good luck cleaning your closet.
  5. Chris C

Chris C New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

But is $600 a fair value? I don't want to be asking a ridiculous price. (even though that is almost exactly what I paid for them.)
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to have you at TFF, Chris. :)

I can't intelligently answer but there will be others to come in and try to answer your questions.

Attached Files:

7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

From what I've seen and heard, gun shops are having a very hard time keeping AK variants in stock. They are selling like mad, and the prices are (accordingly) rising. For some reason, ARs aren't selling as well. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about the Chinese versions that you have, but the Romanian ones (generally considered lower quality) are selling for around $550 to $600 online. It probably wouldn't be unfair to sell them for $600 or even a little more.

With as little as you seem to know about these firearms, your best bet may be to take them to a dealer in your area that will sell them on consignment for you.

Good luck, and welcome to TFF!
  8. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

A MAK 90 at $500.- to $600.- is what people are willing to pay at this point in time. All AK's and their variants are selling very well and the reason is simple = Price

In most cases you can purchase 2 or 3 AK's for the price of 1 AR, and add into this how cheap the 7.62 x 39 ammo was untill recently, it just made for cheaper fun. I also find the SKS rifles to be extremely well made for the price ($200.- at Classic Arms).

Most import weapons are a better price than American made. American weapons are for the most part excellent, but very expensive and any weapon that's a good value and cheap price is more fun to be had.

Examples:
    Taurus 9mm for $400.-
    Walther P1 9mm for $250.-
    Makarov 9x18mm for $300.-
    Tokarov 7.62x25 for $200.-
    CZ-52 7.62x25 for $200.-
    (BTW 1,220rds of 7.62x25 for about $120.- still ain't bad)

Take Care
  9. Chris C

Chris C New Member

Thanks for the answers, comments and suggestions. All have been helpful.
  10. Chris C

Chris C New Member

I went to the largest firearms store in our area today to follow up on your suggestion. Unfortunately, they want 20% to handle consignments. That's way too steep for me.

Shipping out of State, as everyone knows, involves shipping through dealers. I've been warned by several friends who've been involved in the process before say they were "raped" by dealers........between the "supposed" shipping costs and handling fees.........providing this service.

Since the only reason I'm selling these is for the money, it, obvious, I would be better off selling them myself in my local area. I've never done that before. Can someone make some suggestions as to how I'd best go about that? Or do I just do the obvious and put an advertisement in the local newspapers?
  11. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Where are you located? Just curious.
  12. Chris C

Chris C New Member

Central Oklahoma....................a long way from you.
  13. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

As far as shipping it out of state, it shouldn't run you more than $20, which you collect from the buyer. It does have to go TO an FFL, but any fees on that end are also paid by the buyer.

You can obviously list it here, in our "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum, if you decide to ship it.

One of the problems is finding an FFL that will accept it from a NON FFL. There is NO law that requires it, but some FFLs "make up" their own rules, and require it be shipped FROM an FFL. Their business, their choice.

A long gun can be mailed through the post office by you. Therein lies the other potential hassle. Some postal clerks "make up" their own rules. Which they are NOT ALLOWED to do. Sometimes you have to take in the postal regulations in, to prove you can mail it.

Around here, the major newspapers will not accept ads for ANY firearms, unless you are an FFL. Do the ones in your area? You might look online for classified ads in your area. If you find someone to buy it, meet them somewhere other than at your house, and do the deed. :D

You have a PM.
  14. Chris C

Chris C New Member

Thanks for the comments. No, after checking, our local newspapers do not allow firearms advertising. And thank you for the information in your PM. Very helpful.