1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New to forum, Mossberg question.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by websterz, Dec 17, 2004.

1. websterz

websterz New Member

I recently bought (pronounced STOLE) a Mossberg 146b from a buddy at work for $50. It is missing the rear peep sight and all but one of the blades on the front sight are trashed. The rifle was in serious need of a cleaning, I spent 2 hours and every patch I had on hand getting the bore clean. After mounting a 3x9 Tasco on it I took it to the range and shot a brick of Winchester XPerts through it. That little Mossy is a tack driver!! I was hitting nickel sized pieces of clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm with it consistently. With the full sized scope I cannot use a peep sight but would like to put a set of irons on it for close-up shots. I mounted the scope on see-through Weavers for this reason. I have been in situations before where my scope failed me for whatever reason and have always been able to fall back on the irons. :) I have checked prices on replacement sights and to be honest I really don't want to sink more into the sights than I paid for the rifle. Historical correctness is not high on my priority list, I just want a functional set of sights. Has anyone looked into modern replacement sights, and if so what make/model would be my best option? I will want to replace the front sight as well as the barrel mounted rear sight. I really like the look of the Williams Fire Sights but they don't list anything for my poor old Mossberg. From the look of the barrel taper and diameter it seems like there should be some model of Marlin that would fit, I am just not too familiar with all the different variables. I am a machinist by trade and can make necessary changes to get a sight to fit, adding or enlarging screw holes etc. Any thoughts?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Here is a site that specializes in Mossberg parts.

Models 146B, 146B(a)
    Firing pin $14
    Extractor $12
    Stock $45 *
    Magazine (tubular) $25
    S101 front sight $35 *
    S137 open barrel sight $25 *
    S107 selective rear sight $35 *
    S130 peep sight $65

Havlin Sales

That is going to be hard since you paid way under price for the rifle. Go to gunbroker.com and see what they are selling for!

By the way, welcome to TFF. Glad to have you with us.
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

Even so, original Mossberg sights will properly attach themselves to the rifle, and you won't have to worry about modifying the rifle or the sights to work. You'll be money, time, and frustration ahead with original sights. Ask me how I know :(
  4. frosty

frosty New Member

Websterz,

Hello, I have the exact same rifle. I had the exact same problem. Yes, the Mossberg 146b is capable of perfect accuracy. I shot a dime at 40yds.....twice!

Inplanotx has posted the exact same site that I used to get my rear peep sight and a new inner tube. It is the only site that has the parts for the rifle. I was lucky and found some "pieces" on Ebay. Just use the Havlin site for everything. Yes it is a little pricey but you will not be disappointed. I was also worried about the price as my rifle cost $80.00 in a pawn shop. It was my first project rebuild. I could not be happier. :) Click on my name and you will see the posts about the rifle including pictures. Or jus do a search here on the TFF using the search term "Mossberg rifle". Be patient and look for the posts. That rifle has alot of potential. Give it what it needs. It will look very nice with those peep sites.

Please Websterz,.. don't give up on that little jewel ;) . They do not make these rifles anymore. This type of craftmanship and barrel length are a rare thing in a good .22 rifle. Not to mention the amount of .22 shells it can hold in the tube..........No other manufacturer today will make a .22 rifle that will hold that many. :)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  5. websterz

websterz New Member

Give up on it???

Perish the thought! :) I took my little gem out to the range today and shot another brick of Winchester XPerts through it. That makes 1250 rounds since I bought it and every time I pull the trigger I like it a bit more. :D I am going to build myself a proper bench rest this week so I can really see what the rifle is capable of. I know it does it's job better than I can leaning across the top of my range box. We were shooting charcoal briquettes at 100 yards today and had a ball. They really let you know when you hit them solid...nice puff of black! I don't know how much more nice weather we have before winter really bites us but I plan on spending every hour I can at the range. At $8.00 for 4 hours of fun it's the cheapest entertainment I can think of.
  6. SigSauer P229

SigSauer P229 New Member

How just inherited a Mossberg 146B from my Uncle. All the parts are there and it shoots like a dream.
    What I want to know is how to break it down. Do you unscrew the bolt to break it down?
  7. SigSauer P229

SigSauer P229 New Member

Thanks GunHugger, that website answered all of my questions.
  8. hitman

hitman New Member

Nice gun!! I just bought the same excact gun at a garage sale last week for $30.00 scope and all Fully intact. I really like the old cheap 22s.Can't wait to shoot it!! You just never know when deals like that will pop up.The guy also sold me a western field 20 ga.bolt action for $25.
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to have you at TFF, hitman.

Attached Files:

10. strayshot

strayshot New Member

Nice looking rifle hitman. And welcome websterz.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  11. gnprts

gnprts New Member

12. srb1938

srb1938 New Member

I have one full set and one front site. Both selective sites, for sale. For Mossberg 146B make offer.
  13. LyleV

LyleV New Member

just got a 146b but the shells do not slide into the gun correctly , was wondering if anyone knows wher to get a manual or parts
  14. Jay

Jay New Member

15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member